Scaling Down Helmet Proportions

Jesuit24

Hunter
So I've mocked up the outer body of WOFs helmet template out of A4 paper (using the A4 PDF set to 100% actual size) and sat it on my head and I can't help feel but it's a little wide (even if I am test fitting without the rest of the armour). I don't doubt WOF's template is accurate to the nearest mm but I'd much rather have a helmet that fits proportioned to me than is technically screen accurate.

I'm 5'7" and have quite a light build. My shoulder length, t-shirt seam to seam is only 15" and I'm sure Jeremy Bulloch has a larger frame than me. What's a good proportion/ratio of shoulder to helmet? How much should I scale the WOF template down by?

One thing that makes Fett look so awesome is how that helmet sits and I don't want to mess that up.

You said that you used only the outer layer to do the test fit, but the helmet consist in 2 layers: 1 outer and 1 inner layer. Before re-sizing, you have to do a better test piece, especially that the outer layer is an adjustable piece, which means that once you have glued the inner part to the dome base, the outer layer is glued onto the inner layer and you might need to cut from the back part (this also depends on the cardboard thickness). And the fact that you're judging the size of the helmet without at least the collar armor is also wrong, because you might end up with a too small helmet. So, if your body height is somewhere between the 5’7” (170,18cm or 1,7m) to 6’3” (190,50cm or 1,9m) values the helmet will work pretty good (with small exceptions) on you. If you are below or above those values, then you should consider re-sizing the helmet templates.

For your body height you might do a 3 to 5% reduction of the templates, but better do some extra testing before doing this.

I'll do more testing then. Going through the gallery I picked out as many front facing pictures I could find and measured out the proportion of helmet to shoulder (the helmet bottom width minus the ears and the shoulder seam on the vest rather than the shoulder bells). The average of which when rounded up with my shoulder width suggested the helmet base should come to 228mm on me compared to the standard 245mm, which is a 7% decrease. But I'll give it more testing with actual cardboard once I get hold of some. I guess there's no real comparison to just drafting it out. Is the collar armour a better starting point?

Is the collar armour a better starting point?

It is because it is the closest armor part to the helmet and its position is critical to the overall look of the upper body; if the collar plate is not curved properly to your body or it is not in the correct position, it will give you that neck-less look.

And here is an image with my RWA templates and some basic measurements ==> Need measurements of your armor pieces! - Post #2; this armor is in the medium range, for the 5’9” or 1,75m tall individuals.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back