TF2 ESB Paint Job for Captain Awesome=FINISHED!

Captain Awesome himself sent me here to check this out.

"Dude, it's amazing" he said.

"You've got to check it out" he said.

"You wont lose control of your bowels over how incredible it is" he said.

That last one was a lie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like more great work TF. So do I only need to pester you for a year to get you to paint me a helmet? I guess I should start now.

Finally found time to finish masking the silver/ grey layer and apply the green. A lot of work went into this, but i still need to super detail the inside of the dent, the top dome damage and the right hand rear panel. The dome and lower cheeks feature a new grey colour which will also be the same on the mandibles and trim. The previous grey i used on the dome and cheeks was a shade darker, this means the grey layer is now the same all over the helmet and relies on the optical illusion that the dome and lower cheeks is actually darker...

DSCF0005_129.JPG

DSCF0006_121.JPG

DSCF0008_95.JPG

DSCF0010_72.JPG

DSCF0012_50.JPG

That is beautiful man.

When you do the weathering under the killstripes, can you show us how you do it? Or explain your process?

Garrett, that base green is spot on... But what I'm talking about? The whole helmet is (already) a masterpiece! I can't wait to see the mandibles and the rim painted to see the the new color combination and its effect.

That is beautiful man.

When you do the weathering under the killstripes, can you show us how you do it? Or explain your process?

The weathering under the killstripes is actually silver with base green painted on. More exactly, when the helmet painter removed the tape that he used to do the killstripes also removed (accidentally) some of the paint layers to reveal the silver underneath, so he used a brush to 'mask' those areas.

Garrett, that base green is spot on... But what I'm talking about? The whole helmet is (already) a masterpiece! I can't wait to see the mandibles and the rim painted to see the the new color combination and its effect.

The weathering under the killstripes is actually silver with base green painted on. More exactly, when the helmet painter removed the tape that he used to do the killstripes also removed some of the paint layers to reveal the silver underneath, so he used a brush to 'mask' those areas.

That's interesting. So it's basically just the base green brush painted?

I was kind of thinking Garrett used some sort of burnishing tool. Having a helmet that he painted years ago, it just looked so perfectly placed and authentic. I was hoping he would share his technique.

Yea, doesn't get a whole lot better than this folks. Just beautiful work G! :)

You know I was gonna troop in this helmet. Maybe this belongs in a case now lol

Sent from my iPhone

The weathering under the killstripes is actually silver with base green painted on. More exactly, when the helmet painter removed the tape that he used to do the killstripes also removed (accidentally) some of the paint layers to reveal the silver underneath, so he used a brush to 'mask' those areas.

Interesting, I always saw that area as a separate layer on top of the green painted in a thinned down white to emulate some sort of glue reside. I can't see any evidence the paint is chipped down to the silver...
In fact there is an area under the forehead arrows where there is silver damage exposed and a similar white weathered area below it?

Interesting, I always saw that area as a separate layer on top of the green painted in a thinned down white to emulate some sort of glue reside. I can't see any evidence the paint is chipped down to the silver...

I always use the Britt Dietz images from the C-IV exhibit (here ==> Star Wars Celebration IV - Britt Dietz Photos), because these are hi-res images and shows the most in-depth details of the whole suit. Here are some images that shows what I'm talking about:

Killstripe Silver 01.jpg Killstripe Silver 02.jpg Killstripe Silver 03.jpg

And an overall view of the killstripes:

Killstripe Silver 04.jpg

In fact there is an area under the forehead arrows where there is silver damage exposed and a similar white weathered area below it?

To me it looks the same 'weathering' used around the killstripes:

Arrow Silver.jpg

The Pre-Pro #3 has a better explanation of the weathering:

Boba-Fett-Third-Prototype-Helmet-031.jpg

Killstripe Silver 01.jpg

Killstripe Silver 02.jpg

Killstripe Silver 03.jpg

Killstripe Silver 04.jpg

Arrow Silver.jpg

Boba-Fett-Third-Prototype-Helmet-031.jpg

Finally applied the kill stripes and added additional detail within the silver damage areas. The last few stripes are actually a little more orange in person, they're washed out in the photo a bit. Next onto the mandibles and trim!

DSCF0001_164.JPG

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back