TF2 ESB Paint Job for Captain Awesome=FINISHED!

Interesting you should mention the kill stripes. I find that i have to mask vertically with thin strips, then mask the gap in between; so the vertical lines are not parallel? Because of the curve of the dome, do you find this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't, actually. From what I've gathered from the reference pics, each stripe
is basically a plain rectangle. There's no noticeable taper from bottom to top.

Here's one of the most oblique shots I have from one of the AoSW exhibits.
I've taken a chunk from the bottom of the stripe and moved it to the top of
the stripe. There doesn't appear to be any reduction in width.

stripewidth_zps0599eb3b.jpg

I think that since the stripes are so close to the base of the dome, and that they are
not that tall relative to the overall height of the dome, masking them as rectangles works
well. If the stripes were, say, twice as tall, then they would have to have some sort of
taper if the goal was to keep the space between them even.

As a sort of newbie to the TDH & having never seen a TF paintup thread before, i had no idea what had generated the anticipation & excitement of this thread by the legends of fett-painting..... Until I did a search thru the archieves for past threads....

Wow- what a treat for a screen accuracy nerd! ( as I consider myself). Fair dinkum' -- when looking at one particular photo, its easy to think that your looking at an exhibit shot of the real thing.

Fantastic job- glad you came out of retirement to play again.

Looking forward to each update.... & more man-humour!

Do you layer the whole back? If so, what color order do you go in? I was trying to do it from the silver up, but it has been quite difficult!

Do you layer the whole back? If so, what color order do you go in? I was trying to do it from the silver up, but it has been quite difficult!

Yeah the back is all layered. The order is base grey, silver, grey, beige, green. The heavily detailed area on the right panel I layer the tiny details separately, more manageable that way...

Yeah the back is all layered. The order is base grey, silver, grey, beige, green. The heavily detailed area on the right panel I layer the tiny details separately, more manageable that way...

Yup, exactly the order I approach it for the ESB back panels. Got pretty good tips on that from some guy named Garrett or something... ;)

And from the looks of the sharpness and awesomeness of the stencilling and masking, I think the "I have a bad feeling about this" is just a clever ruse.. ;) Looks awesome and detailed as ever, even at this early stage. Folks, If you want tips on fine liquid masking, and how it should look before you layer the next colour, look no further... :)

Even after all the time I've been doing helmets, I'm still fascinated and amazed watching
an entire helmet done by layering.
I love how sharp that masking is! This will look terrific coming thru the silver layer.

TF2 ESB Paint Job for Captain Awesome

In regards to the comment written across the tape.

"Rule #76. No excuses. Paint like a Champion."

Even after all the time I've been doing helmets, I'm still fascinated and amazed watching
an entire helmet done by layering.
I love how sharp that masking is! This will look terrific coming thru the silver layer.

The sharpness is all down to my new TooF pick tool...;) I might actually do a run of these, I there is any interest...

Will you be using your same colour list G? I've always thought if I were to do another ESB, I would test out adding a drop or two of black to the main back panel mix colour, to deaden it ever so slightly. And just a few other very minor things, like matching some of the greys even more accurately, and something still gets me about the red - I think humbrol 73 is closer than caboose, but for some reason, I just find the real lid's red brighter in certain lights.. Any case, I think you have an amazing eye for colour and minute details, so can't wait to see what you concoct.. :)

And i'm always interested in any tools to help supreme accuracy, so very keen if you do a run :)

Will you be using your same colour list G? I've always thought if I were to do another ESB, I would test out adding a drop or two of black to the main back panel mix colour, to deaden it ever so slightly. And just a few other very minor things, like matching some of the greys even more accurately, and something still gets me about the red - I think humbrol 73 is closer than caboose, but for some reason, I just find the real lid's red brighter in certain lights.. Any case, I think you have an amazing eye for colour and minute details, so can't wait to see what you concoct.. :)

And i'm always interested in any tools to help supreme accuracy, so very keen if you do a run :)

Yeah it will be a slightly tweaked colour list, the back panel green you mentioned, you are spot on, the previous hue was too intense so it needs to be dulled somewhat, I was going to mist it with black but I think I will follow your advice and add black to the mix as well. Also I use a different grey for the dome and cheeks to the mandibles and trim, I think I will lessen the contrast between the shades by misting the two colours together...

Yeah it will be a slightly tweaked colour list, the back panel green you mentioned, you are spot on, the previous hue was too intense so it needs to be dulled somewhat, I was going to mist it with black but I think I will follow your advice and add black to the mix as well. Also I use a different grey for the dome and cheeks to the mandibles and trim, I think I will lessen the contrast between the shades by misting the two colours together...

Excellent mate, good to see a similar thought process for improved accuracy. I don't think the back mix will need a lot of black - as I say, one or two drops may be all it needs. And we had a good discussion in Eric's latest thread showing the greys, so as I went the same as you on my last lid, some slightly revised greys to lessen the contrast sounds perfect. In any case, look forward to seeing the mixes you come up with, and discussing them with your good self - and any of the other 'accuracy nuts' of course :)

Here are the back panels with the grey applied, that took an age to do! I will re-visit the right hand panel to super detail the silver area, but that's the main details added for the moment...

DSCF0001_147.JPG

Insane buddy. Are you using the toof tool for every masking application?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back