Have i made my shin tool wrong?

Tzhan

Hunter
I have an Arkady flightsuit and have made my sonic beam weapon out of a found patterson squeegee. This should mean i have no problem fitting the found part into the shin pocket. However,as you can see, it's just not working. Have I made the tool wrong? should i remove the two inner parts that make it thicker? It might fit then but might still be a very tight fit.
YbPwMplh.jpg

ukVFxn9h.jpg

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Right tool, but have you cut it? RAF has great templates on this and it should alleviate your problem :) and one of the "scrap" pieces you cut off gets used on the anti-security blade.

You did everything right. The pocket is too small.

- - - Updated - - -

The tool looks great btw. Nice job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up removing the thread separating the 2 pockets and re-sewing it more off center. I also put the small tube shin tool next to that one you are trying to fit so I had more room to work with (actual names are escaping me right now).

It then fit perfectly

So the stitch separating the two sides should be a tad more off center? Good to know, nobody has told me that and I've been doing it the same forever. I will adjust it slightly in the future.

So the stitch separating the two sides should be a tad more off center? Good to know, nobody has told me that and I've been doing it the same forever. I will adjust it slightly in the future.

Here is a drawing I did a few minutes ago which might help you in the shin tool pockets. While I did both sides symmetrical, there might be small differences in the pocket sizes. So here is the image (I will post this in my misc templates too):

Shin Tools In Pockets.jpg

The dashed red line is where the folded material ends (maybe double folded?) and gives that extra thickness to the pocket's upper strip. And while some of the pockets shows extra room, you have to consider that the shin tools are not flat, but bulkier parts and will fill the pockets, and sometimes you will have to squeeze in some of the tools.

Update
----------------------
I added extra material (represented by red dashed lines) around the pockets. here is an image that shows all these:

Shin Pockets Description.jpg

Awesome drawing as always Rafal. That is about how my shin tools look in my Arkady flight suit so I don't think it could be off very much. It also seems like he hasn't cut his patterson tool short enough based on the rivet hole, no?

strange..my suit is an Arklady as well, from 2009 and all my tools fit fine. I also have the Patterson Squeegee. But yea like was already said, the pocket was just too small.

Looks about right to me Vultana

Thanks for the advice guys, i'll unstitch the middle of the pocket and shift it outwards a little. The tool might be ever so slightly too long but i figured better to have to cut it down a little than someone extend it.

Replaced my image in Post #8, but I also added an image from the TDH Gallery that shows the shin pockets in great detail.

Thanks for the images Rafal, I don't think I'm too far off but if I can make improvements, I will. Once the pocket is attached I measure two inches from whichever edge is the outside or smaller side and make the dividing line there. Two inches is 5 cm or 50 mm so I was off by a cm. So I'll fix that. The rest of my measurements are almost exactly the same as that diagram, the differences being the few mm between inches and metric. Tzahn, it looks like I just made yours a smidge too small, I apologize for that. I might have just folded in a bit too much for the seam. You have a pm coming.

Arkady, mine was a bit too small as well but it was only minor. Since I did not use the found part and made mine from Sintra, I just shaved some off and squeezed it in.

The shin tool would be about 2.75-3" so the pocket needs to be that big. As others have said, you didn't do anything wrong you just need to make a bigger pocket.

The overall width of the bottom of my shin pocket is only off by a millimeter or two. Where mine was different and apparently causing problems was where I was putting the dividing line. Instead of doing it 50mm/60mm, I'll start making it 40mm/70mm. That should make it perfect.

That's why we love you Carole. You are awesome. May need to contact you for a new vest.... I am getting more broad of shoulders at 28... Weird.

Carole is the best! My flight suit from 2009 is still going strong! I have lost 17lbs though and still dropping weight, so i may eventually need a new one...and know who im going to!! :cheers

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back