rubio95's ESB

Congrats on the semester ending! My last final is tomorrow. I am excited to see this paint up since I ordered a FPH2 in early November. Looking great!

Who painted the helmet beside yours?
At this point probably very easy to get wrapped up in the tiny details. The lighting also has to play a part here . Looks like yours is too light and the next door helm is too dark. Hard to get fine hues over internet pics. Detail does look really great though....and if I paid someone for a paint up and it looked like this I'd never complain!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the semester ending! My last final is tomorrow. I am excited to see this paint up since I ordered a FPH2 in early November. Looking great!

Who painted the helmet beside yours?
At this point probably very easy to get wrapped up in the tiny details. The lighting also has to play a part here . Looks like yours is too light and the next door helm is too dark. Hard to get fine hues over internet pics. Detail does look really great though....and if I paid someone for a paint up and it looked like this I'd never complain!

Thanks for the compliments!
I have the luxury of having a buddy's Master Replicas Boba Fett helmet. So all of the comparison shots are taken alongside that. I'm hoping that when I paint the mandibles, that will help to 'darken' the dome and cheeks. I'm also thinking that a series of washes will further knock the lightness down. We'll see.

More terrible pics!
(You have no idea how much it gets under my skin to take and post such awful photos - it's just so CONVENIENT to use my phone lol)!

Got the kill stripes handled last night. I like the way they turned out, and I think that the added color really has helped to break up the brightness of the dome. I think this might turn out great!

Deadland pointed out a few areas of dark gray that I missed on the back of the dome (and some silver along the dent area - which I already knew about), but I have no fears of adding them, after the experience that I had in the post above.

The HORRIBLE company I bought some Humbrol tins from has assured me that I'll have my paint for the mandibles before Christmas - Only a month and a half after I ordered them. I won't call them out, but it rhymes with 1001MODELKITS.COM.

Anyways, I'll be (hopefully) masking the silver on the mandibles/trim after work tonight, and possibly laying down the base gray after that. We'll see (it's rainy/cold here today).

Here's the stripes:

3bbe5128-2f6d-44c9-b4d9-51a7b1010819.jpg

1c110c39-8dfc-468f-aa83-8f0891babd6d.jpg

And the crown jewel of blurriness!
126c3b80-272b-4d10-8f52-4f5986094c4e.jpg

Good morning, my Fett friends!

I was able to get some good work done yesterday. If all goes according to plan, my Humbrols should be arriving this afternoon when I get home from work. I'm waiting for Red Wine and Oxford Blue. So in the meantime, I figured I should go ahead and get some work on the mandibles done. I decided to forego the lighter gray color that appears in a few spots, as I think it will be easier to lay it down after everything else is completed. So I went to the next color, the dark gray. And I gotta say, I thought that the back panels for the ESB (or any of the helmets, really) were the biggest pain, but I was WRONG lol. As much fun as all of this is, the ESB mandibles (the lower right mandible in particular) are a nightmare! There are sooooo many little 'flecks' of all of the colors! I'm just hoping I come close to capturing it all.

When I get home (and assuming 1001modelkits.com comes through), I should be able to begin spraying almost immediately (all that's left is to mask the dark gray of the trim/keyslots).

Still two more main colors to add. Here's a quick picture. It doesn't QUITE capture the insanity...lol!

mandibles.jpg

Getting there...

...sheesh...Humbrol paints are a little...difficult to work with lol!

80e22b3e-b459-40c5-a1e1-066dec22d564.jpg

17023ef7-7f0b-4942-a5f4-b735f1accdbc.jpg

I decided to take a decent picture. I used some wool to knock down the brightness of the mandibles. Still sooooo much to do, but I was really happy with the 'new look' that the steel wool gave it.

094.jpg

OK ,OK...now I'll shut up about the green. If this is the way it looks in person you'd be a fool or a glutton for punishment to repaint it. Really looks amazingly similar to the ESB pic that was posted up. What's left to so other than scratches, more scratches, and dullcote?

OK ,OK...now I'll shut up about the green. If this is the way it looks in person you'd be a fool or a glutton for punishment to repaint it. Really looks amazingly similar to the ESB pic that was posted up. What's left to so other than scratches, more scratches, and dullcote?

I'm happy you like it!!

There's actually a TON more to do. I have all the splatters, the misting, another light coat of gray here and there, and I need to almost RE-DO the entire dent lol! And THEN wash the whole thing to get the dome and cheeks to where I want them. This is the shot I'm trying to replicate:

me_workingonfett.jpg

I think I have the color tone pretty close, but it will take a few washes to get the colors to match (my color needs SHADOW). Still sooooo much to do, but THANK YOU for the compliments!!! It REALLY helps me to stay positive, since I'm sure at least half of TDH thinks I'm crazy for going this route!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back