General n00b alert! Rubie's costume paint tips?

DJMarcO138

New Hunter
Hello all!

Like many other folks out there, I'm starting off my initial foray into costuming with the pre-made Rubie's Supreme suit. I know the Helmet is a steaming pile...and there are inaccuracies galore on the suit. I found the suit for relatively cheap, and plan on using it as a base to sort of hone my paint skills, and intend on eventually re-selling it on eBay to cover some of the monetary loss, and then re-invest that money into some real components for an accurate Bounty Hunter suit build.

*** Please stop laughing at my naive ambition now :wacko ***

So - since I already know this is a temporary stop on the "Road to Fett-ville" - I was hoping (without combing through the sheer volume of posts on here) if anyone had some pretty basic re-paint instructions or advice - preferably a reference doc of some kind for me to start with.

I should note that accuracy in actual detail is a bit less important to me than accuracy in technique for doing aging, weathering, damage, etc.

I'm a fairly artsy person, and know my way around brushes and various types of paint, but as I have never worked in this particular medium before, I am assuming there are many folks out there that have been down this path before and have sound advice for me (besides just telling me to get rid of the Rubie's suit, lol).

Thanks in advance! I look forward to hearing advice/suggestions, and to eventually dive into the community and learn from all of you experts out there.

Some people paint their buckets differently. Some like working their way down, starting with the green layer and brushing on detail.
I work rattle can and mustard, if that gives you any idea on how different it can get.

Shteymetal24 is doing a Rubies rebuild right now too, I would check out his thread on it. He's got his repainted bucket up right now and it looks great, so I would look over that. http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/supreme-edition-boba-fett-costume-modifications-46295/

Here's my method up on my blog. My helmet still isn't done yet, but it gives you an idea on how I started my bucket.
Right now I just sprayed on the killstripes, and now it's fine detailing I'm going to be brushing in with acrylic model paints.
Building Boba Fett

Looking for some updates from you, hope this helps (y)

I just got the costume in the mail the other day...wow...the paintjob is one of the most obnoxious things I have ever seen. But, I already more or less knew that'd be the case - I just wasn't prepared for just HOW bad it'd be, lol.

I'm going to pour over a few threads, figure out the paint colors I need and begin buying supplies to fix this mess ASAP. I think the trick (for me) will be the paint "damage", but having come from a somewhat artsy background, with some trial and error I'm betting I can at least polish this proverbial turd enough to at least make it passable for Halloween purposes.

Passable for Halloween it will be no problem, most people out on Halloween have no clue it exists to buy. You will be a Halloween hit, then upgrade it so you will be happy with it.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back