DeathProof's ROTJ Fett: BH-32794

After a few hours of my eyes going wonky from trying to sketch out the damage as best I can, and then mask it all with a toothpick....

10378274_772336467301_7657198060295509871_n.jpg

Most of it has already dried clear, but you get the idea. Tomorrow I paint the blue!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Man that has to be a monumental task, all that weathering on those ROTJ jet packs. So far, it looks really good to me. (y)

This is one thread that is serving me as a guide. There's alot to making a Boba costume and for a newbie like, this is definitely helpful. Awesome build thread!

Thanks guys!

Wickedreamz: When I'm finished, what I'd like to do is create a "table of contents" on the first post and create links to different parts of the build. While it's beneficial to read full build threads, I find sometimes it can be a bit more helpful in directing to specific areas.

As soon as I get home from work, I'm throwing down the masking tape and getting out the airbrush. Can't wait!

What brand of masking do you use?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how did you attach your thrusters? Did you do the PVC bar across the inside of the jetpack?

I have this massive bottle of Fasmask....probably will have that thing forever. Works well, but dries clear with a blue-ish hue...which kinda sucks because it's harder to see where I've put it.

I haven't attached the thrusters yet. I'm still trying to figure that out because I will have tubes from my smoke machine going through them. I have to rig up some kind of locking system, or permanently fix them with glue (which I don't want to do for storage reasons).

I have this massive bottle of Fasmask....probably will have that thing forever. Works well, but dries clear with a blue-ish hue...which kinda sucks because it's harder to see where I've put it.

I haven't attached the thrusters yet. I'm still trying to figure that out because I will have tubes from my smoke machine going through them. I have to rig up some kind of locking system, or permanently fix them with glue (which I don't want to do for storage reasons).

I'm working on mine, and while I don't plan on putting smoke through mine, I don't really care to have a bar running through the pack. I currently have it held together with the PVC method, but if you figure something else out you'll have to post it up so I can change mine.

Add some blue water color to it...it'll dry alot more blue and not effect the paint. My graphix masking fluid is the same way

Yellow layer added. Gotta do some touch ups but that can be done during final weathering. Onward to the red and white layers!

1511427_772798012361_7413673584283112739_n.jpg

Thanks guys! I was a bit worried about the yellow. I didn't want it too vibrant, but now I hope I didn't overkill it with gray. My airbrush was really acting up the last few times. It's a gravity feed internal mixing brush, so apparently gums up a lot more. I had to take the nozzle apart several times to clean...and my instructions didn't really say how to properly take it apart. All good now though.

I still don't think I get the paint consistency right (thinner to paint). That's been the biggest hurdle thus far. Any tips on this?

i get the idea that it's supposed to look like milk but that's such abroad scope of measurement for me.

What brand are you using for paint? I found that the PollyScale paints plugged up my airbrush like nobody's business. It might be the thinner I was using (Tamiya Acrylic thinner). No problems with Humbrol or Testers enamels, or Badger or Tamiya acrylics.

For my Badger Patriot, I found that 1:1 paint thinner for Tamiya worked fine. PollyScale was 2:1 paint to thinner. I tried other ratio's, but it didn't help the clog factor I always got with it. Badger is ok to airbrush straight from the bottle. For Humbrol, I use about 1 or 2:1 paint to lacquer thinner ratios, depending on the paint consistency straight from the jar. I have never tried to airbrush Vallejo paints.

Another option is airbrush restorer. You can get it at the art store. Disassemble your entire airbrush completely, then let all the parts and the body soak in the airbrush cleaner fluid for about 24 hours. It will revive any rubber or plastic gaskets and loosen any and all built-up paint crud from all the nooks and crannies of your airbrush.

What brand are you using for paint?

I'm using Humbrols. Some of them I find to be a lot thicker than others. The yellow (#154) was a real pain in the ass because it took many coats to get it to the correct shade. I think I've been bouncing between too thick and too thinned. I don't have any means of measuring (kinda been eyeballing - shame on me),...I need to find little plastic cups that have numbers on them. That might help ;) I've been able to clean my airbrush pretty good the last two times, so it's now more a matter of getting the paint right.

Crazy fun masking this one. Red layer done (although crazy vibrant - will knock down to a very light grey/red in final weathering). White is the last layer then overall weathering and tidy.

10734262_773221378931_973511987606540667_n.jpg

@joshvanrad : Armydad has a good alternative that I might try for the thruster installation using hooks and elastic: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=45567&p=582480&viewfull=1#post582480

Yeah, I just came across a Humbrol Flat White that was like thick corn syrup, while airbrushing my Ali flamethrower. Comparatively, the satin black and medium gray from Humbrol were much thinner, like Aunt Jemima syrup.

That is a good looking jetpack! I hope mine turns out half as nice as yours.

Thanks for the link to the alternate method.

White layer and overall dusting done. Still gotta do the scratches and add decals and greeblies (becon, stabilizer,etc.) but getting close!

10698595_773501627311_6386343844113124476_n.jpg

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back