DeathProof's ROTJ Fett: BH-32794

I was in an electrical store ( I think i mentioned earlier) trying to get help. Terrible customer service experience - one of those places where they don't really know how to help you unless you have a part number. Some guy waiting in line tried to help me out but when explaining things to someone who has NO idea what simple terms mean....it's quite embarrassing actually. Electrical work is more cut/dry or right/wrong. Painting is like cooking where you have a little leeway :) Volpin Props just came out with a cool eBook for $8 from therpf.com. I would check it out. It has some pretty cool techniques specific to prop making.

I am exactly 1 month until Vancouver Fan Expo, Necronaut! Spring break starts this weekend. I have two big photoshoots to do over the break, but I should have time to hammer out this helmet. My estimated completion date is around March 15th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Aaron,

What are the connectors going to be used for on the bottom of your jet pack? Just curious.

Thanks!

The two wires hanging out of the jetpack are for the smoke machine. They both go to a servo that is in one of my ammo pouches. One wire to the smoke machine, the other to the battery.

The other greeblies are just details :)

Update :: Helmet (Back Panels and Dome)

Whew...what a weekend. I finally got my jetpack straps aligned properly, so now everything fits and is attached. While that was a great step forward, painting the helmet has been nothing short of frustrating. I must have read Jayvee's thread I dunno how many times....he makes it look too easy I tell ya ;) Anyway, Friday I had setup everything and got the back panels done...but the green that I had ...I wasn't too happy with. It wasn't dark, and was more emerald than anything. This was following the #131 and #76 mix of 1:1, and adding the #131 as an overspray. I had already peeled the masking fluid away and did some weathering, so because I wasn't happy overall, I stripped it all down and then started all over again. When it came time for the green, I found myself adding blue that I had leftover from my TK tube stripes. and some #79 to get the right colour. It may not be perfect yet, but it's much closer. The problem THIS time was that my masking fluid effed up. Perhaps I didn't shake it, or maybe I left it on too long before peeling....I don't know. This was the result:

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

It did not peel well at all, which resulted in a lot of unnecessary scratch marks trying to peel the stuff off. I looked at it, and looked at it...and I was almost going to settle on it. But last night while working on the dome I knew I couldn't deal with it. I want to be happy with how this looks, even though it ain't perfect. I do look at Raf's templates but I find I'm getting more out of just looking at the reference images. I found the fades and all the 'speckle' damage to be distracting and overwhelming. I had to be honest with myself that I'm not going to get it all...that I can't compare myself to some of the killer painters here who have made more than one of these.

So, last night.. I stripped it all down....again.

I made sure that damn fluid was shaken up nice, and that I applied HEAVY coats. The result was definitely worth the extra effort:

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

After all the damage was peeled...I went to work on the weathering :

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

313b8196-1e35-471f-8c60-4728a5a312df.jpg

Here is a shot with the helmet so far and the armor. Kinda wondering how the greens are going to match up from the helmet and the armor. I may have to do some kinda of dark wash or misting to make them more harmonious.

IMG_0558.jpg

Tomorrow I'm gettin' cheeky!

I love that dome color, is that Jayvee's color mix? Did the fph2 come with the keyslots pre-cut and with the MQ-1 cast? Keep it up,at this pace you will be done by friday!!

The helmet came with the key slots cut and the MQ-1 :)

The dome colour is #31 + #78 at a 2 1/2:1 ratio.

Thanks for the kudos. Friday would be great!!

Keep it up,at this pace you will be done by friday!!

Hell, the way Aaron's been knocking these paint jobs out, he probably finished this helmet LAST Friday and is strategically releasing photo "updates" to document all the "time" it took him to finish it. All part of his plot to divert us from discovering that he is not human.

So....because I was so excited about the helmet...I had to see how much of the costume I could put on myself.....

It actually gave me an opportunity to revisit some pieces that I haven't looked at in a long time. I had to readjust the girth belt now that I had the cod/kidney...I had to secure some better velcro, etc. I know things are missing in the shot....but it was fun trying to put it all on myself.

IMG_0564.jpg

Audrey was working hard on some files she brought home from her job....so I didn't want to bug her...but then I couldn't unlock my phone to take the picture....ah well. From this shot, it looks like everything (colours, fit, etc.) are looking good. The vest isn't secure because I couldn't dislocate my shoulder ;)

All part of his plot to divert us from discovering that he is not human.

Oh no, i never said he was human!

Aaron, the colors look spot on! Weathering is beautiful! I wanted to get suited up everyday but it is 100% a two person job, and my wife didn't share the same passion I had, lol!

Update :: Cheeks done!

Alllllrighty! Definitely can see the end now. Something that I really learned from this experience is that there is a time and a place for topical and layered methods. I really enjoyed the layered method on the jetpack, armor, gauntlets....but the helmet...to do layered any justice is just pure insane and would take way more skill than I have. I learned this while examining the damage for the cheeks...and looking back at my helmet...then reference images....then Raf's templates.....then I just scratched my head and just layed down the colours, misted some browns, greys and multiple shades of green (along with the main green) and then applied the damage magically with a sponge - very lightly I might add. You can cut sponges to different shapes (say if you need an edge, etc.) And be sure to dab off the first glob of paint on a paper towel before applying to the helmet. After all the damage was applied, I did another mist of the same colours to dull it down a bit. Anywho, the topical method I found myself getting much more enjoyment from, where the layered method involved more precise planning that doesn't really work with how I like to paint (sometimes.)

I masked everything off for the mandibles which I will tackle tomorrow. The ears are all good to go, but I have to weather them still. So...there's the potential that I could finish tomorrow....but probably Thursday (including RF assembly) just for my own sanity. I used claret wine again for the mandibles and I will knock it down with mists of greys to get rid of the vibrancy.

The blue/black for the upper cheeks was fun. Again, the recommended mist of black and then #78 didn't look right in my opinion. Too green. I tried playing around with the leftover green mix I had for the back panels, but that was almost turquoise by comparison. I ended up using that same blue again for the TK tube stripes with some 33 and 79. Threw that down, then a little bit more #33 (VERY lightly).

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

Update :: Helmet Paint Finished + Installing Electronics

Well, that will just about do it for the paint! After a good clear coat, she's all set!

I am currently in the process of installing my RF electronics from JC27. Took me a while to install the RF topper lights (mainly threading the wires through the mini hole in the stalk) but by the end of the night, I got it up and running. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to screw in the honeywell switch just so that I be sure that the stalk will hit it. Lining up the GOW bulbs was also interesting...but I eventually just threw in a bunch of black tape and made it happen.

The cap on the right ear still needs to go on. I see a bunch of people going with magnets - I might go that route eventually, but for right now I want to just screw it in and get it running. What I'll be working on tomorrow is getting the servo together. I have to drill my stalk's hole a bit larger in order for the brass coupler to go on. Once I get that done, it should be pretty straight forward. Then fitting the helmet with padding, and BOOM...done :)

I'm aiming to have my submission pictures taken on Saturday. Keep them fingers crossed :)

11041892_793113430101_7580706975496728433_o.jpg

10474058_793113435091_3546655442345777692_o.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

e70400c6-76a9-4664-bf5e-01e982d5174e.jpg

Update :: Ready for Submission!

Well, it's about that time :) I don't think I had put together the usual "boba on the floor" shot, so here is everything before we take my submission photos tomorrow. I gotta say, I'm very happy with how things turned out. and while I completed the paint quickly, I don't think I cut 'too' many corners. I had 6 weeks to paint, and nailed it in 3 (with not a lot of downtime). Needless to say, I haven't seen my wife in a while, so today I'm cleaning the house and getting her flowers :)

Thanks again to everyone on this forum for their advice, encouragement, and inspiration. It's been a long journey, but I'm ready to get trooping and make a difference for some awesome kids.

11068072_793466218111_1705685192625152414_o.jpg

Aaron, man this came out great. I still can't believe how fast you painted everything...unreal! I can't wait to see the submission pics. Congratulations, dude!

I don't know if you got every nick, or every shade of overspray, but you knocked it out of the park. Looks the part for sure.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back