a question of opinion

teraxis

Hunter
When you are out and about what is your reaction when you see Fetts that are maybe not strictly accurate? I'm new and the reason I ask is because I have seen mentioned several times the term correct dental spanner (at least I think that is what it was called) and I am going to be honest here I have no idea what that thing is. That is only an example (if someone wants to smarten up the new guy feel free). I'm talking abut times when people have obviously put in hard work on their costume here as well. Do you go "Oh hey you are into what I'm into HI!" or do you go "screw that guy he isn't screen accurate."? Its just a thought that I had because when I saw Boba Fett for the first time in that theater watching Return of The Jedi my reaction was not "*** did you see that dental spanner!?!" It was more "*** that guy is awesome looking!". I'm not saying either is correct because they are opinions and we all know what those are like. I'm just curious.

Most people in this hobby would talk to you about costuming regardless of the accuracy. I would also think that most people would not be overly critical about another's suit, because they would know first hand the time and effort that goes with this hobby. I am sure that there are ones that would say negative things, but from what I have seen from people on this forum and the con I went to this year, most would be supportive and helping regardless of the level of accuracy.

I think the majority of members here are not sticklers for accuracy and would never act negatively toward another member that did not have an accurate costume. Having complete accuracy with a fett is a personal goal for a lot of people and some will go as far as to only use original components where as some are fine with using casts of original components.

All of my initial costume pieces were far from accurate but I did not realize at the time and thought it was great as did others who saw it. Over time I have slowly been replacing items piece by piece to reach a more accurate fett but I still love seeing other fetts out at cons regardless of how accurate they are. I am always amazed at anything scratch built because I would never have the skill or patience to complete some of those builds. It all comes down to a shared interest in boba fett!

By the way, the dental expander is a small piece at the front of one of fetts gauntlets, barely even noticeable!

teraxis:

I have gotten some attitude just about my build technique. There are always some hard core guys, but as stevo4529 states, most guys are cool, helpful and supportive. Your first builds may not be dead on, but the more parts you create, the better your eye for detail becomes. I made my first Fett using old Topps gum cards and magazines as referece. When I discovered the dented helmet, I started over. There isn't a better Fett site.

I dig it. I'm glad the feed back on this is pretty positive. Being new to all of this its pretty intimidating coming into the community with very little experience at crafting and customizing things.

I respect anyone that takes on building any costume themselves. Whether it is accurate or not, there is a ton of work that goes into it. Some people don't have the skill or resources to make things at a high level or buy the best made items so they do things within their means. The admiration comes from them making something they are a fan of & are proud to wear. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I haven't encountered any negativity but have gotten some great constructive criticism here & other forums. Which is always good to help with making things better. It is always good to learn from others experiences as well. But trial and error is a good learning tool as well. I know that I have come up with some different methods of doing things with good results & somethings I didn't have good results. There have been some items made over but that is just part of the process & attention to detail.

I am currently in the build process on my Fett & am doing all the fab work myself. I did purchase my soft parts. I was working on my Fett at the same time I was working on a Boushh for my wife, which is complete & has been 501st approved. The admiration that my wife & I have received for her Boushh has astounded us. My wife did the sewing, except for the cummerbund, & I did all the fab work & painting. This was literally a scratch build & to be honest there are so many things that I want to change cause I missed certain details during the build, but it is a good representation of the Boushh character. The whole time I have been working on these costumes I have been wondering will they be good enough. Since my wife got approved into the 501st & is getting to go troop with them & have fun doing it. I just watch with pride knowing that we made her costume. My goal hasn't changed with my Fett it is to get 501st approval & go trooping with my wife. I am trying to adhere to every detail that I can.

Make your costume & enjoy.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back