New Helmet Gasket Showoff

bigkidbiggertoys

Well-Known Hunter
This is a little side project I've been working on. As some of you know, years ago I produced some leather helmet gaskets. I have a new helmet that I am working on that needed one so I decided to revisit the project & make a newer, accurate pattern. The new pattern consists of 13 panels instead of the 8 I used to make & sports the correct chin panel. This is the prototype which I made from a synthetic material which has a rubberised leather pattern. The final version will be of the same blue leather as my old ones. Stay tuned for the final pics in the upcoming week. gasket 1.JPGgasket 2.JPGgasket 3.JPGgasket 4.JPG

I need one of those :)

At the moment I have a cold cast ASOK lid, but may also be getting the BKBT dented lid, do you have templates for those?

Please let me know when I can order one or two :)

Interesting project. What material are you making that out of, and does that make the helmet get really hot and fog up the mask on the inside?

No doubt about it, the gasket will retain some heat & you will need a small fan & some venting to keep fog free & cool. I had a similar setup in my other helmet & had no problems with the visor fogging & I tend to run hot! The prototype is a faux leather material just to make sure my pattern was right. The one I am making right now is made of garment leather.

I just wanted to show off the final leather version installed in my helmet. I used a double face tape for a semi-permanent installation. I don't think I will be a run of these as they are very time consuming to produce. Maybe if I could tweak my pattern a little bit more? Anyway, there are some good construction & pattern pics if anyone wants to build their own.iphone 2 032.JPG

I'll be putting the faux leather prototype up in the Cargo Hold.

I MAY still do a small run if I can tweak my pattern a bit & not have to sew through as many layers of leather. I do have some other projects on the go at the moment (not Jango related).

I'll keep an eye out. Would like to have it for a special project by feb if you're willing and able. I don't blame you though, leather work can mess up a machine if you're not careful.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back