Jet Pack Soft harness

Mjolner

Hunter
What is the downside of a soft harness (ie just straps)? Is it just a lack of screen accuracy?
If it is a concern with the straps pulling in the pack unevenly and damaging it, can't that be resolved by adding a bit of elastic strap?
I'm trying to find a way to avoid spending $200+ on my harness.
Thanks!

You can certainly use a soft harness. Seeker makes a nice one as well as MOW. I use a soft harness on my Jango without a problem. The metal harness is more accurate and distributes the weight well. I have one for my Boba. It is surprisingly comfortable. If you go for a soft one look at the two I mentioned to get some ideas on how to make it work.

Man of War Studios.

Star Wars Boba Fett Costume Prop Jetpack Harness Vest | eBay

I hear you on the $300 harness. For something that is not seen, that's a hard pill to swallow. I'm debating the Man of War route, but I am also thinking about getting an actual scuba harness and modify it a bit. We have a scuba tackle shop just down the road so I'll see if there's anything useful.

If you really wanted to, you could just stitch 1-2inch nylon straps together: http://www.tk409.com/images/fett/harness/diagram.gif

So, I figured out my harness situation...and I don't even have my jetpack yet. How backwards is that.

I set out today just to investigate my local dive centre and just inquire about any random pieces they may have had floating around. After explaining that I wasn't even going to use the harness for scuba diving, he quickly goes to the back in the 'remnant' section of the store and pulls out what he calls, a 'relic' that has been in storage for years.

It's just a plastic backplate and it had some hideous 2" yellow webbing that was all crusted from saltwater. I also noticed that it had some vintage metal buckles on it. I don't know how hard it is to find these things, but to get two of them on a ****** scuba harness wasn't a bad idea. He sold me the harness and the backplate for $33 CAD.

I didn't want to use the yellow webbing so I went to my local tent and awning store, and bought 2" black and white webbing for $1.80 a yard, as well as some 2" metal slides. This came out to $18.82 CAD.

This is the result:

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Obviously I still need to size it properly, but you get the idea. I need to keep it from going to high on my back. Not having back armor yet, it's pretty useless to start measuring. I am thinking about using the scuba tank clasp to attach the jetpack, but it looks too thick. I've got plenty of extra 2" black webbing so I may just make another loop through the backplate and strap it in.

I assume the buckle that I should use is the US Divers buckle. I don't know what to do with the Dacor one. If someone wants it, let me know. I think I'll put it in the Karma thread.

I'm going to use paint tray hooks or scavenge my local hardware store for flat metal hooks. Total for the harness I'm guessing will run me $50-$60 CAD.

*EDIT* Why are all my pics upside down?? :(

**EDIT - YAY! Fixed it... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the Aussie fetts would say that they're right side up. Your best bet would be to open them in a picture viewing program and make sure they have the correct orientation before putting them in the post. I've done the same thing numerous times, and this seems to help.

So, I figured out my harness situation...and I don't even have my jetpack yet. How backwards is that.

I set out today just to investigate my local dive centre and just inquire about any random pieces they may have had floating around. After explaining that I wasn't even going to use the harness for scuba diving, he quickly goes to the back in the 'remnant' section of the store and pulls out what he calls, a 'relic' that has been in storage for years.

It's just a plastic backplate and it had some hideous 2" yellow webbing that was all crusted from saltwater. I also noticed that it had some vintage metal buckles on it. I don't know how hard it is to find these things, but to get two of them on a ****** scuba harness wasn't a bad idea. He sold me the harness and the backplate for $33 CAD.

I didn't want to use the yellow webbing so I went to my local tent and awning store, and bought 2" black and white webbing for $1.80 a yard, as well as some 2" metal slides. This came out to $18.82 CAD.

This is the result:

View attachment 71158View attachment 71159View attachment 71160View attachment 71161

Obviously I still need to size it properly, but you get the idea. I need to keep it from going to high on my back. Not having back armor yet, it's pretty useless to start measuring. I am thinking about using the scuba tank clasp to attach the jetpack, but it looks too thick. I've got plenty of extra 2" black webbing so I may just make another loop through the backplate and strap it in.

I assume the buckle that I should use is the US Divers buckle. I don't know what to do with the Dacor one. If someone wants it, let me know. I think I'll put it in the Karma thread.

I'm going to use paint tray hooks or scavenge my local hardware store for flat metal hooks. Total for the harness I'm guessing will run me $50-$60 CAD.

*EDIT* Why are all my pics upside down?? :(

**EDIT - YAY! Fixed it... :)

Awesome find! That US divers buckles doesn't look exactly like the screen used one though. It seems a bit long. The decor one looks like the perfect shape and size but doesn't have "US divers co."

Either way great find!

I was thinking the same thing about the shape, Wes. And after looking at pictures of other US Divers Belts, the writing goes length-wise and not width-wise. In the end, I'd probably rather go for shape than the tiny etched writing that no one will ever see.

The guy that sold it to me said that the harness was very old - I wonder if this buckle pre-dates the one used in Star Wars?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back