First Attempt ESB Cardboard Build

Solaris

New Hunter
Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time thread poster here. I've started my own build recently with the helmet and the blaster, and I'm getting to the stage where I need to either:

- source paints and materials to start my own pain job, or

- source professional painters who would be able to complete the paint job for me.

Seeing as I've never been very good with paints and I don't have access to an airbrush (I'm not too sure of the details but I'm fairly sure an airbrush job would be better than a spraycan job? Right?) I've decided to find an artist who can perform the paint job for me. As this is easily the most iconic part of the Boba Fett costume I want to make sure it's as authentic as I can get it. But here's the rub - I'm on a budget, and I have no idea how much something like this would cost.

Any Airbrush artists out there who would know how much is an appropriate cost for a full ESB paint job?

I've also labelled this as a WIP thread, as from time to time I'd say I'll be posting my completed works in here! It's on a budget too, so I'll try to post materials for people who aren't looking to buy authentic items or spend a crapload on authentic parts - it's always nice to know there is an alternative to some expensive things, especially when they're easy to get and cheap!

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
the esb helmet is probably one the most detailed helmets in Star Wars so it'll run about $400+ for the paint job alone. You should give it a try, never know what your capable of and you can always start over.

the esb helmet is probably one the most detailed helmets in Star Wars so it'll run about $400+ for the paint job alone. You should give it a try, never know what your capable of and you can always start over.

Ouch, that is a bit pricey. Might try it myself as you said, I could be better at it than I think!

I'll post some pictures of my progress later on, but thanks for the advice!

I got my airbrush and pump for about $200, and it might take you $100 in paint (I am using Jayvee's thread and color list). Of course theses numbers are plus or minus :)

Once you get the airbrush you can always use it later, and if you like painting you can always see about doing more later!

I got my airbrush and pump for about $200, and it might take you $100 in paint (I am using Jayvee's thread and color list). Of course theses numbers are plus or minus :)

Once you get the airbrush you can always use it later, and if you like painting you can always see about doing more later!

This is true! I wouldn't factor it into my budget either as I would probably use it on future projects. That being said, what do you guys think about using ordinary spray paint? Would it be worthwhile, or should I consider a better quality of paint?

thing with spray paint is not all paints get along....and if your on the third layer and they react badly for some reason...you get to start fresh

Not in my opinion colors are to dark besides the rear panels...

I noticed that...especially with the red. The green I didn't notice as much - but I've looked at so many different greens between all the helmets and armor that I'm losing track.

Hi, moderators?

Any chance we could change this thread title to 'First Attempt ESB Cardboard Build'?

Thanks guys!

Starting my builders bog (Aussies holla) render tonight after giving it a go on the earpieces last night and seeing it work perfectly this morning. I'll post pics as soon as I have them, but for now here's some iPhone pics of my helmet build so far:

image.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image8.jpeg
image7.jpeg
image4.jpeg

The last image is of the modelling epoxy stuff i used as a replacement for the stuff you guys call bondo... didn't work very well, so I just ended up getting builders bog (same as bondo)

Also featured in these pics is the West Wing, Battle Royale, Lego Millenium Falcon (the newer model), a Los Pollos Hermanos chicken bucket (with blue meth inside) and an old 8800GTS

more pics as I progress!

Started spreading builders bog on the dome last night. Checked it a couple of hours later and the bog had developed a crack down the side of the dome! Ended up using more of the bog to paste it up and I haven't checked it since. If all else fails, I'm going to wait for it to set completely and fill in the cracks again before completing the sanding job. More pics to come.

Started spreading builders bog on the dome last night. Checked it a couple of hours later and the bog had developed a crack down the side of the dome! Ended up using more of the bog to paste it up and I haven't checked it since. If all else fails, I'm going to wait for it to set completely and fill in the cracks again before completing the sanding job. More pics to come.

An update on this... I've sanded it down, and now the crack is the least of my worries. The material I've used seems to be too soft, and scratches away with my fingernails. Is this normal, or does it just need to be sealed?

Helmet Progress 09.jpeg

This is the state of the helmet so far, by the way. Is it just me or does it seem too long? obviously haven't sanded it down to a T yet but I'm thinking about replacing the white layer with something more substantial, as I said before it's very chalky and will leave indents if I press too hard with my fingernail.

Any thoughts on this process?

So I spoke to a tradesperson family member who advised me that I could just seal the spakfilla with a coat of paint and it should be ok. Started working on my homemade gauntlets today too, I've noticed there aren't many tutes on this on the net, so I'm going on semi blind. Hopefully will work out well!

Looking good! I'm working on my own bucket using WOF's templates (which are absolutely AWESOME!!!) I've not yet gotten past the first cylinder assembly (inner surfaces), kids and back to school is taking time out of the build...

Builder's bog, isn't that the stuff used for doing drywall joints and such? That stuff's really hard to get to settle into any kind of "solid" state without a really stiff surface underneath and without a good surface coat (in building, that's usually 2-3 coats of paint...) I've not used Bondo yet for helmets or armor, but I've done some bodywork on cars and the stuff STINKS! It does a brilliant job of sanding down smooth and being solid, but you can't work with it anywheres indoors because of the fumes.

I see you tried the Pebeo acrylicstuff. I was looking at that too. What was the issue with it?

Might even get a WiP thread going if I feel like I'm not messing up too badly... ;-)

L8r!

Looking good! I'm working on my own bucket using WOF's templates (which are absolutely AWESOME!!!) I've not yet gotten past the first cylinder assembly (inner surfaces), kids and back to school is taking time out of the build...

Builder's bog, isn't that the stuff used for doing drywall joints and such? That stuff's really hard to get to settle into any kind of "solid" state without a really stiff surface underneath and without a good surface coat (in building, that's usually 2-3 coats of paint...) I've not used Bondo yet for helmets or armor, but I've done some bodywork on cars and the stuff STINKS! It does a brilliant job of sanding down smooth and being solid, but you can't work with it anywheres indoors because of the fumes.

I see you tried the Pebeo acrylicstuff. I was looking at that too. What was the issue with it?

Might even get a WiP thread going if I feel like I'm not messing up too badly... ;-)

L8r!

Thanks man! WOF's templates are godlike, I couldn't believe someone could be that good at craftwork. Keep going at it, I think the hardest part will be the painting. If you follow the instructions you'll get a great helmet.

Speaking of builders bog, I ended up going with fibreglass resin after speaking with a guy at Bunnings over the weekend. He told me it'd be perfect for the job, easily sandable, no problems to paint on, and waterproof to a degree. I'll let you know how it goes but it seems really promising. I've been working on gauntlets and armour the last couple of days but I'll be doing my first coat of fibreglass resin and sanding down over the weekend - I'll let you know how it goes!

The Pebeo stuff isn't too bad and goes quite hard, but it sinks in instead of retaining shape. Maybe if you were to mix it with Plaster of Paris or flour or something
that would thicken it up. That being said, I might give it a go again on the helmet as a thin layer on the dome, it might end up working well.

Sol

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back