MR Boba Fett Helmet ---Visor is warped--possible fix or it?

Dragon1138

New Hunter
As my profile might suggest, I am almost completely new to the site. I love the wealth of knowledge all you dedicated fans out there have about Fett. That being said, I unfortunately don’t have the time or the funds to really delve into making a complete costume, let alone painting one (I will someday!!) I recently came into possession of a used MR Boba Fett helmet. Aside from the obvious major mandible issue that other forums have covered at length, my helmet has a visor issue. The plastic used for the visor has warped in the center. It looks like the visor has a circle pressed into the center of it that makes light reflect of it awkwardly. Replacing it would mean doing some major surgery on my bucket. My main question is: Is there anyway I can reshape my visor to take the dent out without having to do invasive work on it? i.e. applying continuous pressure on? Heat it up and try to reshape it? I don’t really know what would work. Has anyone else had issues with the visor having a bit of a warp in it?
Secondary question: I know this is a do-it-yourself website and all but is there any member out there who fixes helmets (mandible issue with MR helmet and or visor issues) for a reasonable price? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Dragon, welcome to TDH!
I'm sure others would agree that the issue you describe with your MR helmet would
be easier to understand if you posted a picture or two.
It sounds like maybe it was stored for a period of time in contact with something, and that
has left a (maybe) permanent impression on the visor material.

Here are a few pictures of the dent I am talking about. Needless to say, I want it out!

CAM00383.jpg

CAM00385.jpg

CAM00386.jpg

I doubt that a hair dryer will help much. Your best bet is to swap the visors themselves. If you pull back the liner just a tad, you'll expose the 5 million screws that hold the visors in place. The visor is actually two pieces. If you use your thumbnail at the bottom of the "T", you can actually spread them apart.

I would unscrew and remove the visors, and swap them. Hopefully the second visor doesn't have the same warp.

That's probably a bit more in-depth than you want to get, but at least that way there's no cutting/drilling/fabrication necessary.

Youd be able to get rid of the pinch this way as well huh?

I suppose...But that would involve getting a new visor (thicker and MUCH more rigid), and drilling all those little holes into it. Plus, with a thicker visor, the screws may have to be replaced, as they might not be long enough.

You and I could would probably just replace the visor outright, but I don't think that Dragon1138 wants to get down n dirty like we would ;)

For his purposes of getting the warp out, his best bet is to swap the back visor with the front, and hope for the best.

Also, it's probably a good idea to move this thread over to the helmet section...

Ill get that right now...and yeh i suppose but I think theres thin enough ones...maybe a local guy to him is here that could help him???

Thanks for the all responses, I appreciate them. Apologies for not posting this in helmet section. Is there a way for me to migrate the forum to the correct area? I will try to do the heat gun/ air dryer when I get a chance, hopefully that will work. I would love to get the pinch out but that would require a lot of time, time I don't really have (full time university student + part-time job). Also, quite frankly, I'm not confident in my surgeon skills enough to preform the operation necessary to get the pinch out.

Can you feel it if you run your hand over it from the inside?
If you can, it may not do a lot of good to swap the 2 layers unfortunately.

The heat gun idea...almost kind of worked....then it just popped back to the dent. It sounds like the glue that held the visor to the helmet has gotten weak because I hear a sticky noise when I try to push it back into shape.....Ok screw it. I'll replace the visor...somehow.

The heat gun idea...almost kind of worked....then it just popped back to the dent. It sounds like the glue that held the visor to the helmet has gotten weak because I hear a sticky noise when I try to push it back into shape.....Ok screw it. I'll replace the visor...somehow.

So you're not going to try to swap front visor to back visor?

Could be that the helmet has been heated up for some unknown reason (maybe to try to bend the mandibles out) and it has caused the visor to expand and break the glue. The "shelf" suggests to me the visor should sit further forward anyway, so a replacement visor might be worth a bit of time and effort and you can put it in the right place.

Could be that the helmet has been heated up for some unknown reason (maybe to try to bend the mandibles out) and it has caused the visor to expand and break the glue. The "shelf" suggests to me the visor should sit further forward anyway, so a replacement visor might be worth a bit of time and effort and you can put it in the right place.

Only the lower half of the visor would sit in the 'shelf'. There's no shelf on the brow. It would look weird...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back