Aluminum vs fiberglass?

Mjolner

Hunter
I'm new to the hobby and am curious what the pros and cons of each material? Is there a consensus as to which is better?
Thanks!

In what kind if pieces are you referring to? Both have great advantages.

Fiberglass is light but very durable if laid right, and used for things like helmets to keep costs down, not to mention retain screen accuracy.

Aluminum is used on many small parts of the armor and people prefer it because it has a "real" look and feel.

I know there's aluminum armor out there, and even fiberglass armor. I personally wouldn't do either as its not accurate and the vacuum formed armor is very rugged.

Aluminum Fett helmets are super rare. I've seen a few over the years but none have gotten the crisp looking lines of the fiberglass helmets.

Also, how is it the best of both worlds?

ASOK helmets are 3 layers of resin and a layer of aluminum powder. Buff it and it'll look like metal. You won't have to paint it silver.

But if you're going for an accurate ESB helmet then get a FPH2

Personally I prefer fiberglass over resin or cold cast. The original helmet were fiberglass, and so I want my replicas to be fiberglass. Also fiberglass can be thinner than resin yet stronger. Resin has to be a bit thicker (and thus heavier) to have the same strength as fiberglass.

Aluminum helmets are SUPER heavy, and like mentioned before, although they can be very nice, they arent as sharp and or accurate as a fiberglass one could be. Animefan's cold cast fiberglass is the perfect middleground i think. It can be polished up to look like metal but still be the correct fiberglass construction and a good weight. Its nice so the silver underneath really has a realistic metal appearance.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back