Necronaut's first ESB paintjob

Sorry about the lack of updates, but the positive feedback is really appreciated! Here's where we stand right now... :cry
P9170001_zpsc583e12a.jpg

P9170002_zps8b93e293.jpg

P9170003_zpsf5192cd3.jpg

Here's the story. I had just finished my Sidewinder EE-3. I was very excited, and I thought I would take a really cool posed shot of my 95% finished Fett on my mannequin with the poseable arms I cabbaged together this spring. However, I hadn't mounted my jetpack hooks yet. With no jetpack, he was a little front-heavy. As I was taking the shot, he started tipping over...

There was no no outright crack at the visor edges that went right through the resin. It only cracked through the cold cast layers.
I really should have taken shots of the repair process. The above pics are after Krazy Glue (to glue the cracks, assemble all the remaining paint and cold cast resin shards I could find), sanding, some Bondo, sanding, Tamiya filler, sanding, Mr Surfacer, and plenty of finish sanding.

And here we are today:
P9190004_zps6982cbcc.jpg

P9190005_zps05e4fdb3.jpg

P9190006_zps5b4ba1d7.jpg

There are all the repaired spots, with varying amounts of finish work.
P9190007_zps3f0e0f1e.jpg

P9190008_zpsfcacdb6b.jpg

P9190009_zps6291d0ac.jpg

Back panels are done, keyslot is done, and I'm working on the mandible areas around the visor. I still have to do the ears. They only need paint. Rangefinder needs a little paint weathering and final assembly.

THE REST OF MY COSTUME IS FINISHED. MY LOCAL CON IS IN 8 DAYS. WILL I BE ABLE TO PREMIERE MY FETT COSTUME (MY VERY FIRST COSTUME EVER) IN TIME? Stay tuned, kids!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how to say it, but your paint job looks so real; I mean your technique is amazing and it is very close to the real thing! So, keep up the already excellent work!

Yikes! That must have been horrible watching that mannequin fall over!
But the repairs look great. :) Now get that puppy done and go troopin'!

Is the Borden on the ESB helmet brass or stainless steel? I thought that it was brass. I can't tell from the AOSW pics, and it looks like it may be steel based on the ESB Promo shots. I am second guessing myself now. I bought both a brass and stainless borden from Mojo from his latest run. Any suggestions?

Final Pics. There are still some areas which could use a once-over with some Bondo and a resizing of some damage areas, but it should pass muster. Edmonton Expo is tomorrow. This is my first costume EVER. Wish me luck!
P9270007_zpsd79d323f.jpg

P9270008_zpsca54bbce.jpg

P9270009_zpscb24fdff.jpg

P9270010_zps0d2ad05e.jpg

P9270011_zpsf0152633.jpg

P9270012_zps14251fb2.jpg

Ta da!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found this! Incredible! Looks like you've done this several times necro. I don't have all the nicks memorized, but it looks perfect to me. I'd ask you to paint mine as long as you didn't put it on a mannequin;)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back