Necronaut's first ESB paintjob

Necronaut

Hunter
Hey all,
My paint is here, and my GMH cast by Asok (Rest in peace, brother) is primed and prepped for paint. I'm going for a superjedi style 'layer-opical' treatment. This is my first time ever attempting something like this.
P8010005_zpsdf3474af.jpg

P8010006_zpsbd86008d.jpg

I sprayed on some PollyScale Concrete onto the back panels to start this paintjob. This stuff airbrushes fine almost straight out of the bottle! I did add a little Tamiya X-20A acrylic thinners for a smooth finish, though. Using some slightly resized RafalFett templates, I masked up before spraying the dark green sections, with some Winsor & Newton masking fluid. It's applied with rubber color shapers, rather than brushes.
P8010007_zpsdf9cc867.jpg

P8010008_zps5bb024c3.jpg

First coat of the dark blue-green color. It's a little splotchy. I used superjedi's recipe of a bottle of MM Acryl Euro Dark Green and 70 drops of PollyScale BAR Blue.
P8010009_zps1c18f604.jpg

P8010010_zpsba145be5.jpg

Second coat is still a little splotchy, but on purpose. I referred to some Art of Star Wars exhibit pics, and there was some variance in the darkness and intensity of this color over the back of the helmet. I tried my best to replicate this with my airbrush.
P8020012_zpsda4253af.jpg

494cdd70-9f89-448f-a73c-086ba0681e1e_zps31898e6b.jpg

Yeah, the camera color balance is way off. But after letting the green paint dry for about 8 hours, I removed all of my masking. I will need to touch up a few spots of the concrete. My masking job wasn't the greatest, by the looks of things. I have these tiny little specks of green all over the concrete. A lot of it will be covered up with the gray and silver, and I was planning on painting in by hand a few things here and there. Maybe it'll add a little texture to the final look? I'll probably correct it tomorrow.
What have I gotten myself into?! :facepalm

If you will do the same great job as you did with your armor, then you will have an awesome helmet! Keep up the great work!

Using Eric's methods certainly is a great way to go, as he produces outstanding results - and you are off to an awesome start bud! (y)

Thanks for the support, guys! I had a good look at the paint in natural sunlight this morning, and the variance in the green paint is nowhere near as exaggerated as seen in the pic from last night.
Today, I'll be touching up the concrete and custom green. I might get on with the dark gray, as well. Pics will follow, if something significant comes up.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks great so far, how do you like the Winsor & newton masking fluid? i've used it and don't like it so much.

It's very, very average. ;) It does what it says on the bottle, but unless you goop it on thick (and thus lose any fine detail), you tend to get 'leakage' in the successive paint layers. I encountered this when painting my armour damage. As well, I'm not sure if it's the effect of any masking fluid or just W&N. When I peel the mask off, dried paint bits fly everywhere from the peeling mask and get stuck on the underlying paint. Is that me & my peeling technique (kneadable eraser), the particular fluid, or all fluids?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good! Once you get the gray and silver areas on there, it will change
the appearance drastically.

What do you think of that "formula" for the dark bluish-green? I know that things
look different by eye than they do through digital pics, but I think it gives a really
good appearance when compared to reference pics.

I use a rubber cement pickup to rub the masking fluid off. It tends to keep the
dried fluid in little blobs that are easy to manage. I tend to go slowly when removing
the masking fluid and "roll" it off in one direction as much as possible.
I occasionally get little flakes, but not that many really.

The helmet is looking fantastic, looks like you have the scaling spot on. Look forward to seeing more. If your having issues with the Windsor and Newton fluid, try the humbrol brand. I used to use WN but since I tried the humbrol it's all I use now, it has a purple tint as well so it's a lot easier seeing where you have applied it.

Thanks for the humbrol masking fluid suggestion. However, I watched your Fett helmet vids ages ago and scoured my local area for the stuff, to no avail.
Here's a quick update. Not as fast as superjedi... :rolleyes
P8020004_zps81faccbc.jpg

I love the green color of these back panels superjedi, your recipe is spot on! I worked exclusively off of Rafal's templates for this, which leads me to an issue at the edges... better look up the reference photos for some guidance!
P8080004_zps63561bba.jpg

And here we are with the silver paint. Wherever the templates called for either white or base metal, I did a light wash with some Vallejo Model Color Azure, a grayish-blue color.
Aside form the thumbprint smear in the upper left of the panel, is there any actual white paint in this panel?
P8080005_zps1ab0dd0a.jpg

I wasn't sure how to approach this panel, when it came to the silver and gray, since I found the full color template so confusing and hard to gauge. I overlaid Rafal's color separation templates of the gray, silver, and 'base metal'. This gave me a rough idea of what shape and location to paint the underlying gray. With that down, I was more confident in where to paint and not paint the silver. So far, I have roughed in the silver paint over the gray with a size 0 brush. Tonight, I'll detail in the edges and borders of the silver with a 000 brush, and maybe get to a few of the other colors on top of the silver.

Last edited by a moderator:
The back plates looks good! And no, there were no other white marks on the ESB Hero helmet (from 1978-79), except the ear markings (and the white thumbprint.)

Hey all,
My paint is here, and my GMH cast by Asok (Rest in peace, brother) is primed and prepped for paint. I'm going for a superjedi style 'layer-opical' treatment. This is my first time ever attempting something like this.
P8010005_zpsdf3474af.jpg

P8010006_zpsbd86008d.jpg

I sprayed on some PollyScale Concrete onto the back panels to start this paintjob. This stuff airbrushes fine almost straight out of the bottle! I did add a little Tamiya X-20A acrylic thinners for a smooth finish, though. Using some slightly resized RafalFett templates, I masked up before spraying the dark green sections, with some Winsor & Newton masking fluid. It's applied with rubber color shapers, rather than brushes.
P8010007_zpsdf9cc867.jpg

P8010008_zps5bb024c3.jpg

First coat of the dark blue-green color. It's a little splotchy. I used superjedi's recipe of a bottle of MM Acryl Euro Dark Green and 70 drops of PollyScale BAR Blue.
P8010009_zps1c18f604.jpg

P8010010_zpsba145be5.jpg

Second coat is still a little splotchy, but on purpose. I referred to some Art of Star Wars exhibit pics, and there was some variance in the darkness and intensity of this color over the back of the helmet. I tried my best to replicate this with my airbrush.
P8020012_zpsda4253af.jpg

494cdd70-9f89-448f-a73c-086ba0681e1e_zps31898e6b.jpg

Yeah, the camera color balance is way off. But after letting the green paint dry for about 8 hours, I removed all of my masking. I will need to touch up a few spots of the concrete. My masking job wasn't the greatest, by the looks of things. I have these tiny little specks of green all over the concrete. A lot of it will be covered up with the gray and silver, and I was planning on painting in by hand a few things here and there. Maybe it'll add a little texture to the final look? I'll probably correct it tomorrow.
What have I gotten myself into?! :facepalm

Wait, did ASOK pass away?????

Thanks for looking in, everyone! Here's a couple more WIP detailing last night's work...
P8090006_zps95b81f06.jpg

P8100008_zps95289c58.jpg

My workflow is I crack open a bottle of paint, and paint out of the lid. It'll start drying up in the lid on me within 5-7 minutes. By then I need to switch to a different color anyways. I have been rotating between silver and gray for the entire evening, interspersed with a dot of green or concrete here and there as needed. The finish line is in sight!!

The right plate looks amazing and I know you had a hard time applying all those small details (I had it when I drew the stencils), but the end result always worth the patience, the sturdy hands and the talent involved in such an intricate paint job. Keep up the great work!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back