ESB Paintup for anakin1322

AFettFullofDollars

Well-Known Hunter
This is an ASOK CC FP helmet that I've been commissioned by anakin1322 to paint up in an ESB scheme. Already have it trimmed out and the base colors applied. Got the killstripes put on this evening. Going old school...masking tape, newspaper and liquid latex mask...

Killstripe Mask.JPG

Killstripe 1.JPG

Killstripe 2.JPG

Cool man!

I'm always interested in seeing topical methods of painting. I always hear of people using stencils, but I think I'd have much more success working from the ground up. Did you at least silver first and do 'some' masking? Or will your silver be all topical?

Looks great so far!

Thanks, Jeff.

DeathProof- I paint topically because I feel it gives me greater control over the shapes of the individual scratches and scrapes. I've done layered paintjobs before, I just prefer going topical. Plus once you start applying the greys and maroons the silver is actually underneath those layers.

Are the waterslide stencils the same method you used on this Sgt.Fang helmet AFFO$?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sleepalot - Not exactly. The method I am using is to print the stencils in black on clear decal film, apply Solvaset to the decal to tighten it down, then give it a shot of clear gloss to seal it onto the helmet. Then I will just paint over it. It's the same method I'm using on my own FPH.

Catscratch.JPG

Dent (2).JPG

Superjedi- The stencils are the ones from the Stencil Thread on the board here. I just size them to the specific helmet I'm painting, take a snapshot, then transfer them to my computers paint program. I set my printer to the Premium Photo Paper setting and print away. I'm always looking for ways to be a more Accurate, Consistent, and Quicker painter.

AFFOD - Could you go into this process a bit more in depth?

I've done transfers before with acrylic medium and photographs, but they had to be done on a really crapped out xerox machine so the ink was still on the page - modern ink jets seal in the ink (I think...regardless, they don't work as well). You then used the acrylic medium on the printed page and, in a way, created a 'temporary tattoo' of the photograph. When you peel the medium off and apply it, it's reversed, so you have to flip it in a paint program.

Is this more or less what you do? That would be a lot of work for each individual splatter.

Also, when topically applying your paints, what brushes do you use? Or are you a sponge guy?

Superjedi- The stencils are the ones from the Stencil Thread on the board here. I just size them to the specific helmet I'm painting, take a snapshot, then transfer them to my computers paint program. I set my printer to the Premium Photo Paper setting and print away. I'm always looking for ways to be a more Accurate, Consistent, and Quicker painter.

Sweet! Quite ingenious. (y)

Predatormv-No, I haven't. I apply solvaset to them when I put them on the helmet. If you've ever built a model and used it on the decals, you know that it softens the decal and draws it down onto the surface. Plus, after I paint over them, the entire helmet gets a coat of clear gloss followed by a layer of dullcote and a final dusting of greys and browns. This helps seal it even further.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back