Star Wars: Episode VII will use more practical locations and effects, less CGI

Sleep, I hope that's a bit of sarcasm. They should have jar jar die a horrible death, maybe have Dengar pull boba out of the sarlac and throw jar jar in. That alone would be worth the price of the movie ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sleep, I hope that's a bit of sarcasm. They should have jar jar die a horrible death, bayberry have Denmark pull boba out of the sarlac and throw jar jar in. That alone would be worth the price of the movie ticket.

;) of course. I'd love to see him get roasted.

The more physical props the better I say.

Agreed. If they wish to carry on after the mostly practical world of episodes 4-5-6, they need to stick to more real models and sets and only sparingly use CGI as needed.....just like the original trilogy was filmed.

Just checking sleep, I know a few people that actually like jar jar. I have no idea why though.

At C VI last summer I had the honor of meeting a couple of my idols, Lorne Peterson and Jon Berg.
I've always had the deepest respect for those model makers at ILM who put so much reality into
the models of the original trilogy. They all scratchbuilt and kitbashed their way into cinematic history. :)

I believed in Yoda's character so much more in ESB. The prequels freed our imaginations through overuse of CGI. At least in the original trilogy, the model making and limited technology allowed our imaginations to fill in the gaps and make the characters and worlds so much more believable.
As far as tinkering with the OT, Jeff Goldblum Jurassic park quote comes to mind - (George Lucas) was so preoccupied with whether or not he could that he didn't stop to think if he should.

As far as tinkering with the OT, Jeff Goldblum Jurassic park quote comes to mind - (George Lucas) was so preoccupied with whether or not he could that he didn't stop to think if he should.

AMEN!!!

This news makes me happy. You know why? Because real sets means real characters. Less CGI/Human interactions. This means we could see a REAL person in a REAL fett suit... Instead of a CGI'd bounty hunter.

Yeah, I hope this happens. Practical sets and putting as much as you can into the actual shot is the way to go. The best example of a great use of this in a fantastical setting is the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Miniature work was used instead of just going full CGI for Mordor or Gondor or any of the other sets, and it really heightens the realism. In our modern era filmmakers get to comfortable with leaning on CGI to get the story across, and it just pulls the viewer out of the experience.

I'd much rather see a filmmaker go in with the old school handbook and get it done with as much realism as possible. I love watching the behind the scenes documentaries about films like Aliens, where they actually used painted backdrops, force perspective shots with set extensions mounted on the camera itself to make you think there was more in the shot than was... it's brilliant stuff. And most of it is seamless. You would never know it was there. THAT is how you do solid FX. Hollywood seems to have lost that creativity.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back