ESB HERO copy????

Thanks Art. Just stumbled upon this, this morning.

EDIT: LINK REMOVED

From what they say an original mold is made, casting taken from it, that is cleaned/fixed and a new mold is created. A new master cast is then pulled and that is sent to China.
Just trying to enlighten myself and others about the process. Thanks for your help.

I wouldn't put a tremendous amount of stock into what Cal is posting. He has spread a lot of misinformation about this project due to being upset about us deleting a sales thread of his on the RPF because he couldn't follow the rules, so in childish retaliation he is making a number of assumptions and bold statements based on resentment and speculation. How petty is that?

Also, Peel, I removed that link from your post as I have little interest helping Cal spread his misinformation through our site. I know you didn't post it in order to do that... but we certainly don't want to encourage disinformation propagation.

Wasn't my intent Art. Sorry. Just looking from clarity. From my basic understanding of the process what he said seemed credible. Didn't realize there was a vendetta angle. I haven't been around the RPF that often. Thanks.

Was the casting after the movies were completed?

The Empire Strikes Back helmet was cast during the production of Return of the Jedi in order to create the RotJ Stunt helmets.

Thanks for the info. I was unaware.

If its to create a helmet for part of the Star Wars series or additional movies, I can swallow that. But if its put into archives and brought out so a company can mass produce it, I feel bad about that. I feel it belongs behind glass. This is only my opinion and I'm not trying to to offend anyone.

I would love a used sniper rifle from Vietnam due to the history and and value....however I'm not gonna take it out and shoot it. I'm not really a collector.

I guess to sum it up. I like the untouchable status of certain props in movies. Now that it is, I guess it's like you said. What now?

Thanks for the info. I was unaware.

Seeing the comments that a lot of people have made across the net, I think many are unaware that the helmet had been cast previously. What is really fun to watch is certain people taking shots at eFX casting this helmet, while they are currently profiting off the helmet having been cast before. Try to wrap your head around that bit of craziness! ;)

If its to create a helmet for part of the Star Wars series or additional movies, I can swallow that. But if its put into archives and brought out so a company can mass produce it, I feel bad about that. I feel it belongs behind glass. This is only my opinion and I'm not trying to to offend anyone.

I would love a used sniper rifle from Vietnam due to the history and and value....however I'm not gonna take it out and shoot it. I'm not really a collector.

While I can relate from a certain POV, I also struggle with this line of thinking because it seems to run like this (and you are certainly not the only one to express it):

Fans: "We demand accuracy! We demand accuracy"
Prop Makers: "Here are some very accurate helmets for you to buy."
Fans: "Thank you. Those are nice and we will buy them for now, but we want MORE accuracy!"
eFX: "Here you go. Cast right off the original, just as you always wanted."
Fans: "Ummm... wow... I don't know. I can't deny that this is the most accurate that I will ever own, but just in this moment, I have realized I don't want to OBTAIN accuracy but want to PURSUE accuracy. Ummm..."
Fans: "We demand the unending pursuit of accuracy but also demand that it always be unobtainable!"

Wasn't my intent Art. Sorry. Just looking from clarity. From my basic understanding of the process what he said seemed credible. Didn't realize there was a vendetta angle. I haven't been around the RPF that often. Thanks.

Totally understood and I know you didn't mean any ill will. (y)

Art I dont think anyone will dispute that they WANT this helmet...isnt that undeniable? I think the questions of when will we see it, how much will it cost, how close to the original helmet will it be in size (will there be any shrinkage)...what materials will be used, what visor will be used, what lights will be used in the RF. ALOT of people here USE their helmets, they dont just stick them on a shelf to be in awe of. Some collectors will do that, and will want the licensed helmet. Just like the MR...for the name its like owning a pair of OG Jordans new in box...theyre priceless. This helmet if it makes it through production will be something similar one day, priceless... But god knows you wouldnt put them on your feet and walk around in them. So I guess if the helmet comes out and is a perfect replica of the helmet in Empire many people will want it... but with a sizable price tag more then likely due to the pedigree it has, how many will be able to afford it and use it for such purposes as trooping? If its comparable in price to building a helmet maybe, but really it'll be more of a collectors item and worth more if it was not worn...so where does that leave the guy with the lid.

Fans: "We demand the unending pursuit of accuracy but also demand that it always be unobtainable!"

Yes. This.

As far as I'm concerned, eFX Collectibles can SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

Since lineage is so important to us, let me know if I've got this straight...

Screen-used ESB: Second generation
eFX Helmet (as diplayed at Comic-Con): Third generation
eFX mass-produced helmets: Third, possibly fourth generation (depending on the process used by the overseas facility)

Will eFX be shipping a helmet overseas for a new mold to be made? Or will they ship the mold that eFX made at Lucasfilm?

Any information will be appreciated.

Since lineage is so important to us, let me know if I've got this straight...

Screen-used ESB: Second generation
eFX Helmet (as diplayed at Comic-Con): Third generation
eFX mass-produced helmets: Third, possibly fourth generation (depending on the process used by the overseas facility)

Will eFX be shipping a helmet overseas for a new mold to be made? Or will they ship the mold that eFX made at Lucasfilm?

Any information will be appreciated.

This is my understanding of how the process has gone/will go. Gino is free to correct me if I miss anything.

Original helmet cast.
Master pulled.
Master lightly sanded to remove paint. Cracks (most of which are from AFTER the filming of ESB) removed/filled.
Master cast.
Molding master pulled and brought to SDCC.

It is my understanding from that from here, the molding master will be sent to China where they will make a ton of molds from it and start pumping out the final helmets.

You asked if the mold eFX made of the original helmet would be shipped to China. Never. First, they wouldn't know what to do with it. Second, they couldn't make a finished helmet from it... and you don't want a minimum wage Chinese worker who has never heard of Boba Fett trying to determine the details of your Fett helmet. Third, the chances of the mold being returned intact would be slim to none. Also, you have to realize that mold was made solely for the purpose of pulling a master and nothing more. It wouldn't hold up under the strain of having pull after pull taken from it and it would slowly deteriorate. There were an incredibly small amount of pulls taken from it and only so a production mold master could be created.

I think the questions of when will we see it, how much will it cost, how close to the original helmet will it be in size (will there be any shrinkage)...what materials will be used, what visor will be used, what lights will be used in the RF.

Nothing wrong with any of those questions.

When will you see it? Hard to say. We all know eFX has REALLY REALLY long production times. But... I have been waiting over 12 years for something like this. Another year or so won't kill me.

How much will it cost? I don't know. My guess would be more than $500, and less than $1000, but I am not the one to say and when I asked Bryan, he simply did not know yet.

How close to the original helmet will it be in size? Closer than anything else we will ever see. That might sound like a smart-*** answer, but it is simply the truth. I took tracings of the bottom of the helmet while we were there so, when the final production piece comes out, we can plop it down on that tracing and see, but I expect, if eFX does their job and maintains QC it will be virtually an exact match.

What materials will be used? Fiberglass.

What visor will be used? A visor of correct thickness and color, custom made for this project. Again... unlike any that has ever been produced before. Welding visors are out!

What lights will be used? I don't know. They haven't even begun to look at the electronics or how they will tackle that. This is PURE speculation, but my guess is that they MIGHT try to do something self contained in the RF as opposed to the nightmare of running wires through the stalk. Since Gino is doing all of this, he will be in a better position to answer it.

ALOT of people here USE their helmets, they dont just stick them on a shelf to be in awe of. Some collectors will do that, and will want the licensed helmet. Just like the MR...for the name its like owning a pair of OG Jordans new in box...theyre priceless. This helmet if it makes it through production will be something similar one day, priceless... But god knows you wouldnt put them on your feet and walk around in them. So I guess if the helmet comes out and is a perfect replica of the helmet in Empire many people will want it... but with a sizable price tag more then likely due to the pedigree it has, how many will be able to afford it and use it for such purposes as trooping? If its comparable in price to building a helmet maybe, but really it'll be more of a collectors item and worth more if it was not worn...so where does that leave the guy with the lid.

No argument that this is geared to the collector and not to the costumer. eFX does not hold the Star Wars costuming license, so legally they can't market this as a wearable piece (although technically it is). With that being said, when you consider the material and labor that goes into a finished helmet, IF China can reproduce the paint on the ESB helmet in a way that does not require a repaint by fans, AND eFX can keep the price below $1,000 I think you are right in the ballpark for what many costumers end up investing in their fan made helmets already... That is what makes this a game-changer for the higher end costumers. Nothing else can touch it, and while the price might initially seem steep.. you can't compare the price of a finished piece like what eFX offers to the cost of a completely unfinished kit like the ones being offered here. There is a massive amount of work/cost between a kit and a final wearable helmet and with helmet paint jobs costing upwards of $600+? Think about it...

Exactly what people want to hear...below $1000....that is. Its just can they do that and maintain a quality piece, will it have metal ears etc...We can wait and see but the more answers we get now the better people can plan ahead as far as if they will buy it or end up saying this isnt for them.

Exactly what people want to hear...below $1000....that is. Its just can they do that and maintain a quality piece, will it have metal ears etc...We can wait and see but the more answers we get now the better people can plan ahead as far as if they will buy it or end up saying this isnt for them.

Ears will be metal.

Keep in mind, while I helped document this project and while I am close with both Gino and Bryan, I am not an eFX employee or spokesman, so when I tell you I BELIEVE it will be under $1,000 don't hold their feet to the fire if it isn't. That is just my best guess based on other helmets.

Just out of curiosity, but what do you mean about the misinformation in the link? Could you elaborate on that? It still seems kind of broad, I just want to be sure since this going to be a big purchase ;)

No... I am not going to get into a point-by-point rebuttal of Cal's diatribe as it is simply an emotionally-charged attack because he is angry about two unrelated issues and somehow he thought this was the appropriate way to lash out.

If you have a specific question that I have not already answered and that isn't simply parroting Cal's comments, I am more than happy to address it.

Hey Art, if you need any ideas for the lights in the RF, let me know. So far everyone that bought my self contained unit likes them. I can also come up with something that uses the micro switch.

Art, I want to thank you for providing (involuntarily?) the first shot of the ESB dome top area, which helped me to compare my stencil with the original helmet, so here is the result:

My ESB Top Scratch.jpg

The top images were used to create the dome top scratch with lots of stretching and resizing and the end result is pretty good.

I just hope that you were allowed to photo shoot the ESB helmet, the same way you did with the MR Proto and the GMH (but especially the MR Proto where you had the top and bottom shots too).

Art,

thanks for making this possbile and basicly overseen the whole process. Now, can we have a pre sale for thedentedhelmet.com community?
LOL hopefully?

Hey Art, if you need any ideas for the lights in the RF, let me know. So far everyone that bought my self contained unit likes them. I can also come up with something that uses the micro switch.

I am not directly involved in those decisions, but Gino is and I can certainly pass that along to him.

We will certainly be working with eFX to ensure that TDH members have an opportunity to get one of these... remember, the Vader sold out in 4 minutes... we don't want that to happen to you guys.

Also, I dont' want to take credit where credit isn't due. I didn't make this possible. eFX did that. I just got to come along for the epic ride!

Art,

thanks for making this possbile and basicly overseen the whole process. Now, can we have a pre sale for thedentedhelmet.com community?
LOL hopefully?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back