Collection update: GMH Master added

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Hi all!
I wanted to share a special new piece I had the opportunity to add to my helmet collection this past week.
It's the original Grant McCune master. Not much more I can say about this helmet than has already been
written by Art in these two articles:
Boba Fett Costume Resource - The Grant McCune Boba Fett Helmet
Boba Fett Costume Resource - First Sons – Boba Fett Preproduction #2 Helmet Progeny

If helmet history interests you, I highly recommend reading those 2 pages!
On to some pics.

My original intent in building my Fett collection was to have one representation of each stage of Boba Fett's
development, from pre-production, through the 2 screen used helmets. I also wanted to have each helmet
be a different "make." So far, I am on track, with only a ROTJ helmet left to acquire and paint.
Here's an overall shot of my collection.

IMG_0209_zpse9035c8f.jpg

To view the helmets a little closer, here are a couple of additional shots.

This group shows the earliest helmets (in the production timeline). At bottom is Skygunbro's
McQuarrie concept version 1. I built this in a weathered state. Immediately above it is another
Skygunbro McQuarrie helmet--the version 2. This one was finished pristine. To its left is my
Supertrooper (one version anyway), which is built from an MSH2.

IMG_0212_zps1f8c4ab2.jpg

The picture below starts getting into the more familiar faces of Boba. Going from bottom right, we have the
Pre-Pro version 1 "Eyes" helmet. This was built from a Bobamaker dentless kit. On its left is my Pre-Pro version 3,
which is a TerminalFettler fiberglass kit. Above the "Eyes" helmet is my GMH done as Pre-Pro 2. Top left is my
hero ESB helmet, painted up on a beautiful FPH.

IMG_0214_zpsd97ee133.jpg

Below, we have the ESB and PP2 again, with the original GMH master on top. It resides in a nice acrylic cube case that
I bought specifically to protect and display it.

IMG_0215_zps01ec0342.jpg

So that's my collection! Hopefully later this year I'll pick up a new helmet to paint as ROTJ and then. . . well, I'm not sure
exactly what will happen then! Maybe I'll just throw them all out and start over. :lol: :lol:

More pics of the GMH master in the next post!

SJ,

Very nice collection! I love the gaunts. What's the story behind them? Maker?

Also where did you get the glass containers? I have an insane new fett lid coming and want to protect when not trooping?

This post will feature pics of the GMH master. As I mentioned in post #1, read the links provided if you're interested in the history of this piece.

Here's an overall front right angle. You can see in many of these pics that the smooth, well-formed GMH helmets made by FettPride certainly took
a considerable amount of work to get them to that point!

IMG_0218_zps6d08ab7a.jpg

Here's another angle of the RF ear assembly, with the microswitch cast in place.

IMG_0219_zpsc429e990.jpg

The mold repairs and odd texturing that Art wrote about in his two articles are visible in the next couple of shots.

IMG_0222_zps25ad93a7.jpg

IMG_0225_zps2dade614.jpg

Here's the dent, in all its rough, cracked glory.

IMG_0227_zpsc0699231.jpg

This next group of photos show some of the coolest features of this helmet. The paint layers of the original PP2 paint job can be seen
in relief in the surface of the helmet. These pics were taken with a strong light shined on the helmet from an extreme side angle, as the
relief of the paint layers is very thin. I highlighted the areas in yellow to show specific paint features.

LeftMandibleComparison_zpsc5e1e08d.jpg

Browcomparison_zps09379c4e.jpg

RightCheekComparison_zps356ab437.jpg

LeftEarComparison_zpse8635723.jpg

LeftCheekComparison_zps5a9c0879.jpg

Finally, a shot of the interior. The fiberglass texture is readily apparent.

IMG_0232_zpsb4054285.jpg

So there she is! I'm so amazed/thrilled/honored/happy to have this helmet in my collection! Hope you enjoy the pics. :)

- - - Updated - - -

SJ,

Very nice collection! I love the gaunts. What's the story behind them? Maker?

Also where did you get the glass containers? I have an insane new fett lid coming and want to protect when not trooping?

Hi 22, caught me between posts. :)
The gauntlets are some old vac-formed Ruffkintoy ROTJ gaunts. I've had them for years and just have them in the case
to fill up that empty spot!
The glass cases are Detolf shelf units from Ikea. They're perfect for helmets, and go for around $65.00.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bout to start being able to compete with you ;)

Need them Concept helmets...I love the glass case...Im gonna ask the wife to get me them for Xmas

Beautiful Eric - i've got those exact same Detolf Shelves (well one lot anyway), and they are spot on for helmets. The GMH is great, and really love your work on all the variations - let's get a ROTJ in there my good man! :)

Thanks guys.
Wish I had some room for a couple more of those Detolfs. They'd be great to display
my Rebel pilot helmet collection, too. But alas, Mrs. Superjedi sets the limit on how
"Star Warsy" my den can be. :lol:

Jonny, I'm hopeful that I can begin work on a ROTJ helmet by the end of the year!

That looks incredible! In my n00bish fervor, I originally had the idea that I'd like to have an example of each Fett helmet incarnation but as slow as I've been on my first one, I think I'll be happy just to have it done! lol!

Hi Eric,
Must be "the force" that this lid found its way into your collection. Your good service of uber SA paint-ups to the community in such as professional & consistent manner has seen the favour returned. (Lucas wasnt far off with the theme of his movies, true in life so many ways)
Really glad for you that you score it, couldnt go to a more deserving Fett fanantic!
mick

Wow, thanks Mick!
I might say that it was luck, but to quote a certain old fossil, "In my experience there's no such thing as luck." :lol:

Very sweet collection, sir. I have four extra kits sitting on my shelf for this kind of display project. You have given me great ideas with the cabinets!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back