My GMH ! ready to go! n fiiberglassed....pics

METALLBOY

Well-Known Hunter
Hello TDH members, I finally got my hands on a GMH helmet....whoooaaa! what a masterpiece.. ''Thank you '' Art and AsoK! '' for allowing this to happen..
Ok, now when I received this helmet I was impressed with the quality and details .. I cleaned it up and primed it, however I decided to add 2 layers of fiberglass and 1 last layer of resin into this helmet to make it smooth all done in order to prevent any future warping? and it all turned out great ,the helmet holds resin and fiberglass like champ.. I ordered everything necessary to start work on this masterpiece .... I got all the paints necessary and airbrush kit ready to go..... I decided to go with enamels ''not'' acrylic paints..... I am a little confused on whether I should mix acrylics with enamel? I know its not a good idea but I am stuck with 5 acrylics paints wich I am not planning to use? So if anyone is willing to trade these new paints LMK...

POLYSCALES Acrylics: Concrete:#f414317 , Prr Brunswick green #f141164 ,Prr Maroon #f414161 , Rlm grun 73 #4783 , (3) bottles of testors 1943 Panzer olive green

would trade for all 5 for enamels:

OK on with the pics......

005.JPG

004.JPG

IMG_20130713_085244.jpg

IMG_20130706_132436.jpg

Very cool. I assume you have slipped it on. Do your eyes line up with the eye slot? I'm trying to figure out how much padding was in the original.

You can use acrylics and enamels together. if you look at my fb page link below, those are all mixtures of the two using the same paint lists going around. Color accuracy turned out well although I haven't tackled my ROTJ helmet yet but for the armor (y). Also Terminal Fettler's/Jayvee's color list for their helmets are worth a try too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Nice! Keep me posted on how it turns out. People are always asking me for pictures of the finished product.

Right, I think it's more about surface cohesion rather than chemical issues. So long as the urethane was done gassing out.

I used a bondo brand fiberglass repair kit with polyester resin to beef up the cheeks and ears sections of my Budget Boba from Asok and it's solid a year later.

As long as the prep work is done right it will hold. It's all about sanding the surface enough to get enough of a bond between the two materials.

Is it necessary to reinforce the GMH's to prevent warping? I just fiberglassed my gauntlets, and if I never do that again I will be a happy man :).

No, Asok casts them thick. You should be fine not adding any material. Some people like to for added insurance.

If I had to go back, I wouldn't have added any to my helmet.

I used fiberglass resin to reinforce it and it has cured very well. As for using acrylics and enamel paints together I don't mind it I just don't want to clog the airbrush..

You wont clog the brush if you clean it properly between uses. I wouldnt go right from one to the other...even with some old paint itll clog here and there.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back