Helmet Padding?

Hey man. Deadland turned me onto "Skydex" padding which is actually meant for ballistics helmets. It's relatively cheap and the install doesn't get any easier as its all just Velcro. It's great padding if you have a bigger helm. However if you have a GMH I wouldn't recommend it as the size of the GMH combined with that padding makes it difficult to see through the visor without leaning your head forward.

I've used Knee Pad Inserts in several of my helmets with great results. Just cut them up and place them where needed. The ones I've used before aren't currently for sale on amazon, but there are plenty of others to choose from. Amazon.com: knee pad inserts: Tools & Home Improvement

9246387559_a8cca3fa41.jpg

Thanks!!

That helps a lot. That way I can cut it to fit :)

What electronics typically go in the helmet anyway? RF kit (lights and remote), fans...is that it?

Hey man. Deadland turned me onto "Skydex" padding which is actually meant for ballistics helmets. It's relatively cheap and the install doesn't get any easier as its all just Velcro. It's great padding if you have a bigger helm. However if you have a GMH I wouldn't recommend it as the size of the GMH combined with that padding makes it difficult to see through the visor without leaning your head forward.

Did you position the pads around the sides so theres no pad up top?

1) Ahh! So THAT'S what those are!! - kneepad inserts! I've seen photos like that (or maybe even yours), and I kept looking for helmet pads and finding ones that didn't match. That was driving me bananas. Thanks MisterFubar.

I've used Knee Pad Inserts in several of my helmets with great results. Just cut them up and place them where needed. The ones I've used before aren't currently for sale on amazon, but there are plenty of others to choose from. Amazon.com: knee pad inserts: Tools & Home Improvement

2) Just general FYI for the Skydex pads, there are two thickness options, size 6 and size 8. Here is the description from their site: (Ballistic Helmet Pads | SKYDEX):
"The only difference between the Size 6 and Size 8 helmet pads is the thickness of the pads. The Size 6 pads are 3/4" thick pads and the Size 8 pads are 1" thick (except the crown pad, which is 3/4" thick).

The Size 6 fits a majority of our customers and is our most popular size for military and law enforcement. The Size 8 are designed for individuals who have a helmet that is too big and require thicker padding for a snug fit. Depending on how your helmet fits now will determine what size you should purchase"

website---helmet-pads.jpg

Some great info here, as I'm about to start my first build. I was considering using the innards from a Riddell football helmet that I have laying around. It's one of the ones that you can pump up, but wasn't sure if that would be a waste of time trying. Maybe I can just go this route instead. Thanks!

I used Pistol Solid's Condor padding... Very modular. Put velcro hook inside the helmet and place the padding wherever you need it. I use one thick piece of craft foam for the back (Where the circuit board bulge is. My head pushes against that)
That inflatable foot ball helmet stuff would be a good idea, too.

For my helmets (Stormtrooper) I use the padding from motorcycle helmets. You can pick them up cheap at your local thrift stores. Usually around $5. Just wash them before you use them just to be safe.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back