Where to start?

Deke

New Hunter
Hi all, total noob to costuming, but heading to my first con later this year and wanting to do a fett. I'm in no way skilled enough to paint my own armor up, so looking for info or suggestions on the best places to get decent quality starter gear.

I've seen the rubies (which seem to have an awful reputation) and a few makers selling on ebay, but unsure of quality.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome! I would start with the armor first. RKD and Bobamaker on here make great armor. I can also hook you up with a affordable paint job. I think there is a getting started thread in the sarlaac pit with great info. Welcome to the madness!

Hey there,

I'm in the middle of putting together my first Fett, so I welcome you on this kick *** journey :)

What I would recommend is that you do as many who start do..at the beginning. Research, research, research. There are many threads on here for how to start out, although I have had issues from time to time navigating this site for specifics.

A Boba Fett will put you anywhere between $2000-$5000 depending on how much you want to spend. http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f22/new-tdh-read-about-how-much-you-will-spend-17421/

I've seen threads from people that craft their own, but my advice would be to find reputable sellers from here to get your gear. If you're not into painting, there are many artists on here that can be commissioned for work, but again, that all depends on how much you are willing to spend. There is a thread on all the distributors here ...good thing I bookmarked it :) http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/new-member-questions-needing-direction-rotj-build-39282/

If you're going to order materials, order sooner rather than later as many artists take time to produce such quality work.

As for Rubies...I don't really have much to say about it. It really all depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you are wanting to go. What's your budget? How accurate are you wanting to go? There are parts where you can probably sacrifice a scratch build to save money (there are many tutorials for boots, capes, EE3s, etc.) but in my experience in costuming, sometimes (for certain parts...and me being a perfectionist)...it's better to save up and buy the pieces needed. Sometimes in building the scratch build items, you're never happy with it, and spend almost as much in materials as you would buying it professionally done. But the satisfaction of building something that you can be proud of is unmatched. For me, I could never build something screen accurate that I would be proud of, so I get that satisfaction by following all the tutorials and spending the time and research to get the costume to where I'll be happy with it.

Best of luck with your build. Hope to see a build thread soon to follow your work!

Hello and welcome to your new obsession! Haha

Like 22split said, RKD and Bobamaker both make great armor. You could also try and get in contact with Fettpride who makes the most accurate armor but with a very high demand.

In regard to a paint job, 22split is one of your best options for sure. Some other great options are sleepalot, Fett4Real and deadland.

You'll probably want to get your hard pieces first because those sometimes have the longest wait time.

For helmets, ASOK makes incredible cold cast helmets that really should be your first go-to.

Man Of War studios is the only seller on eBay we recommend. Hands down. Don't buy anything else unless its by "manofwarstudios". He offers some amazing gauntlets, the best boots, and many other options for both ESB and ROTJ/SE versions.

Speaking of which, do you have a version in mind? There are lots of different variations of Fett so make sure to investigate and do your research before making your decision.

I'm on my way to finishing an ESB Fett so if you have any questions just shoot me a PM whenever :)

PS: you'll waste a lot of money if you but anything Rubies.

Welcome Deke,

I also am new to this. In order to do a costume well, you are going to have to pay. I have ordered all my soft gear (Flight suit, boots, gloves, spats, etc.), a helmet (ASOK has me on his waiting list), armor (Bobamaker, MOW gauntlets), and other random stuff I need for the build (airbrush, paint, compressor, brushes, thinner, mask, masking tape). I am already over $2000, and I anticipate another $1500-2000 before I have something wearable and possibly 501st acceptable. After that I will slowly acquire better gear :). I am throwing this out to you so you are prepared for the epic cost on this completely bad a** and worth it suit.

As for where to start, read through as many forum threads as you can. If you have a question, search it. If you can't find the answer, ask it here and someone will answer you in a very timely manner. I have been going at this for only a couple weeks, and I am figuring it out.

Good Luck!

Thanks all, really helpful.

Thankfully I'm not doing a full fett costume, but doing a mashup so I don't need a full set (my bank account thanks me!).

WRT contacting members, am I best just PMing them? Or are there order threads or something I should use?

Thanks again

Thanks all, really helpful.

Thankfully I'm not doing a full fett costume, but doing a mashup so I don't need a full set (my bank account thanks me!).

WRT contacting members, am I best just PMing them? Or are there order threads or something I should use?

Thanks again

PMing is your new best friend

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back