Jet Pack Pepakura Jetpack

T

toolguy301

I have a number of things in process at this time but this is where I am on my jetpack for ROTJ Boba Fett. This started as a couple of different pepakura files that I melded together (Skip & Soba). Card stock outer construction with architectural cardboard inner structure forming a laminate with gusseted corners. When I had this all completed I used smooth cast to coat the inside to fill in all the corners and gaps to tie everything together. The rocket & thrusters are made to be detachable. I am at the phase where I am getting the outside filled and smoothed and ready for paint. I have found that I have had to keep many things going at during waiting time while things dry, the only thing I have completed currently is my gauntlets. Also made my beacon & stabilizer from scratch. The beacon I made out of 3/4" copper tubing and the stabilizer made from some architectural cardboard, pen, & micrometer ratchet thimble. It came out so far only weighing in at 4 pounds and it is very sturdy.

DSCF3429-1.JPG

DSCF2567-1.JPG

DSCF2563-1.JPG

DSCF2561-1.JPG

DSCF2539-1.JPG

DSCF1824-1.JPG

DSCF1798-1.JPG

DSCF1780-1.JPG

DSCF1774-1.JPG

DSCF1770-1.JPG

DSCF3431-1.JPG

DSCF3432-1.JPG

DSCF3439-1.JPG

Impressive! Most impressive! That´s nearly how I will built my jet pack. Instead of cardboard I´ll use 3mm sintra and PVC tubes. Keep on the good work!(y)
It´s inspiring!

Very nice work tg301 .. i'm always impressed when seeing a pep wip. If you don't mind me asking; could you expand on how you made the Beacon? Did you use Ball-peen hammer and heat? Keep up the great work

Thanks for the kind words everyone. The jetpack is a huge under taking.

If you don't mind me asking; could you expand on how you made the Beacon? Did you use Ball-peen hammer and heat? Keep up the great work

Yes ball peen hammer, anvil, & lots of heat. Used a small propane torch & heated up the end of a length of copper tubing. Kept rotating the piece hitting it with the hammer to get the shape I wanted. I cut it to length after it was all shaped to make handling easier.

Haven't updated this thread in a bit so here is some updates. I will fill in some gaps cause I am actually almost done painting so will catch up to that point. Have only been updating my WIP thread.

Made the piano keys in pep & filled them with bondo gluing them onto the shelf area that I used architectural cardboard to make. Spent a lot of time sanding & filling & did get some primer on it.

Worked on the details on the rocket. I used the rims from plastic cups to make the small thin rings. The collar piece towards the top of the rocket, I used a medicine bottle lid to give the vertical spline. I finished up the 3 straight pieces on the rocket using plastic trim for 1/8" fiberglass sheeting. Used epoxy putty to fill in the center to make it solid and attached it to the rocket. Sanded it and blended it in.

The bottom grate piece was made from architectural cardboard & layered to give depth. Didn't take any pics of prior to gluing it to the body of the jetpack.

DSCF4397-1.jpg

DSCF4401-1.jpg

DSCF4414-1.jpg

DSCF4419-1.jpg

DSCF4421-1.JPG

DSCF4422-1.JPG

DSCF4424-1.JPG

DSCF4425-1.JPG

DSCF4430-1.jpg

DSCF4434-1.jpg

DSCF4488-1.JPG

DSCF4439-1.jpg

DSCF4451-1.jpg

DSCF4452-1.jpg

DSCF4470-1.jpg

DSCF4473-1.jpg

Another quick update.

Painted the body of the jetpack, rocket, & thrusters with silver & cleared it to begin the rest of the paint process. I have found the putting a clear on the metallic paints helps adhesion of the rest of the paint.

Thrusters & rocket are done. Thought I would start with the smaller pieces & get them done first before tackling the body of the pack.

Painted the main body of the jetpack. Have the white & yellow done with some misting of browns & grays for some weathering. Still have some finish weathering that I plan on doing once all the colors are done. Not too sure if I am happy with the yellow color, thinking it needs to be more orange. May do some work on that some more.

Blue paint was next some light weathering of gray & black misted.

Finally finished up with the red. Currently have to finish all weathering & the fuel tanks. Painting came to a halt with the severe cold & various holiday activities. Weather is starting to get above freezing so planning on trying to get this finished.

DSCF4548-1.JPG

DSCF4494-1.JPG

DSCF4504-1.JPG

DSCF4506-1.JPG

DSCF4507-1.JPG

DSCF4516-1.JPG

DSCF4533-1.jpg

DSCF4538-1.jpg

DSCF4545-1.jpg

DSCF4547-1.jpg

DSCF4571-1.JPG

DSCF4555-1.JPG

DSCF4556-1.JPG

DSCF4562-1.JPG

DSCF4568-1.JPG

That pack is phenomenal! Excellent work toolguy301!
Looks like all the effort was definitely worth it. Paint job really brings it all together, and you knocked it out of the park on that. Did you use an airbrush for painting?

Thanks guys, spent a long time staring at the different packs in the gallery. I went with the MOM style. Just liked the looks of that one.

Did you use an airbrush for painting?

All paints so far have been Rustoleum spray paints. Will be doing all the dirty weathering with air brush though.

Thanks for the expansion on the beacon process, that thing is really cool.

Thanks, have to say went a little out of the box on making the beacon. I am going to try and let some of the copper color come through because the MOM pack shows some copper color under the black.

Here are some photos of the stabilizer that I made from a micrometer thimble ratchet, ball point pen, & some architectural card board. Never posted any prior to primer.

DSCF2526-1.JPG

DSCF2516-1.JPG

DSCF2521-1.JPG

Such a good job! All the work you put in is very apparent. Congratulations on finishing such a daunting project!

Thanks for those kind words, but not quite done yet. Calling it about 85% at this point but close.

What were the colors you used on the jetpack? I'm hoping to do a rattlecan jetpack so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Joshua C.

The paints that I used were all Rustoleum Ultra Cover 2X Satin.

Base was a metallic aluminum
Deep Blue
Claret Wine misted with Colonial Red
Blossom White
Summer Squash misted with Striping Yellow
Stone Gray

Weathering was with:
Dark Gray
Flat Black

I mist in with the different colors when the paint is still wet. Gives a nice blend. You will have to look at the reference photos in the gallery for how the paints are used. Also pick a specific pack to go with there are different paints on the packs & there are differences in them. Study them closely. Most of the damage goes to the base silver. There are a few areas that show portions of gray so I masked off just those few areas. I still need to finish my weathering. It needs to be a lot dirtier.

A couple of other recent threads to look at are:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/dolioshmolios-serotj-aosw-jet-pack-paint-up-lots-o-pics-49187/

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/finally-almost-done-jetpack-pic-heavy-47732/

Hope this is some help.

You are welcome glad I could help. I forgot to add that when all competed you will have to put a dull coat on after all painting is done.

You are welcome glad I could help. I forgot to add that when all competed you will have to put a dull coat on after all painting is done.

Thanks. I kinda figured, but I wasn't completely sure on the jetpack. Once I get a little further into this project I'll have to start a WIP thread.

Finished up the painting on my jetpack. Did the weathering & added the symbols & striping. Hand painted all of the symbols & tried to make them look as they do on the reference photos. I am finishing up the stabilizer & beacon so that these can get attached & need to add the hooks.

DSCF5152-1.JPG

DSCF5151-1.JPG

DSCF5150-1.JPG

DSCF5149-1.JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back