95 Don Post with a shoddy Rangefinder. I'm thinking of starting fresh.

I recently made the mistake of getting a Don Post '95. I love the shape of the helmet, but the rangefinder and ears drive me nuts. I am new to this, and my first costume was an Indy one. The rangefinder is junk, and it wont stay up, plus it appears to be bent. I am considering just selling this thing and starting over. I don't mind paying good money for a good product (i.e. a quality rangefinder and cold cast ears, and a well made visor). I am ordering my armor from RKD (hopefully in the next week or so), and I want a good helmet to go with it.

Anyone have any advice on a quality helmet with a great rangefinder? I am also interested in putting LEDs in the rangefinder, as well as other lighting in the gauntlet and flamethrower.

Thanks a ton guys, my close to perfect Indy costume has nothing on this build, and I am having a very hard time locating pretty much anything.....

Asok and fettpride make great helmets. You can't go wrong with either. On a side note I make an led kit that fits the rangefinder that comes with the Asok helmet. I will also have one for the fettpride helmet fairly soon as well.

I like the DP shape also, and I'm restoring one right now, but it takes a lot of work to make them look better. Often the work involves reshaping, reinforcing, replacing parts and of course repainting. It's satisfying work after you finished, but if you want to avoid all of that the alternatives given by Jc27 are excellent choices.

Here's my '96 Don Post:

3561_638946716132198_1703551203_n.jpg

Looks great Mr.!!! I ordered one from Asok, and I am getting armor from RKD. I am really terrified of the paint, however. I am not a man with lots of spare time. I am in the Navy. I also am not artistically inclined, if you will, haha.

Thanks. Just wanted to show what a normal Don Post could look like, all decked out. LOL I got the helmet years ago from a guy on this board who had nicely painted it in an ROTJ paint scheme and installed a Bobamaker visor in it. A while after I got it, I replaced the original fat Don Post ear cap and rangefinder (as seen in my avatar picture) with a new ROTJ-correct rangefinder and slimmer ear cap - both from Fettpride.

This ear cap appears to have been glued on with a whole thing of epoxy. It is hideous. and the rangefinder keeps tilting forward 20-30 degrees from up. I don't even know if I can get them off...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back