Airbrush Budget Kit

coastlineamps

New Hunter
All Troopers,
I think i am going to start my first Boba helmet but like to get a recommendation for a budget airbrush kit minus the compressor. I only like to spend about a 100.00 for everything so please let me know what you recommend. I seen some posts on descent airbrushes but they were quite old and the pricing was a little high. Don't know if there are some newer models that can be of good use for a while...

Take a look at the Iwata Neo kits. Or have a look at welshwarrior's Youtube Fett helmet tutorials. He uses a very cheap ($30) single-action airbrush, just like they did when the helmets were originally painted.

Just stay away from the Testors AZTEK airbrush kits.

F4R, is that what you use? I may eventually pick up an air brush kit and give it a try. A cheap one would be my best option because I probably will suck at it and I don't want to waste money.

I'm using a setup similar as what Mulreel linked to, but with a G44 brush and a tank on the compressor. Now I might not be a great painter (in fact none of it is posted here either), but I think it was great value. It does come in at around $200 instead though.

HONESTLY....Amazon.com: Paasche H-SET Single Action Siphon Feed Airbrush Set: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
and a couple gallon tank compressor from walmart...single action will be better for a beginner and you really dont need double action for what we do...however the kit mulreel posted IS nice...a few brushes...but I dont like having a compressor that doesnt have a tank.

If I already have a pancake compressor. Do I need a whole kit or just the airbrush, hose and connector?

Airbrush hose and connector will do fine in that case. Just make sure to have a regulator and moisture trap as well (although that should be on the compressor already).

I do use the paache....I also have a few items like locitus said a moisture trap and a quick disconect for fast hookup and removal....for cleanup between colors it helps alot

I prefer gravity fed airbrushes these days but the airbrush you got is one of the first I ever bought. Other then the typical issues you can sometimes get with a siphon fed airbrush...it was a good buy.

I agree that you don't need an expensive set up to get good results. The airbrushes mentioned
so far would all be fine for doing the kind of work involved in painting a helmet.

Just stay away from the Testors AZTEK airbrush kits.

Out of curiosity, why do you say this? I've been using an Aztek kit for 5 or 6 years now and haven't
had any problems with it. Please don't take this as argumentative, I'm just wondering.
Is my Aztek going to explode or something? :lol:

Nah, when I was a kid trying to up my game in the plastic model making world, I got one of these airbrush kits. It's the disposable plastic nozzles I have a lot of trouble with. They can't be taken apart for cleaning... at least they couldn't be 20 years ago when I was using them.
I think that it got to a point where I would only be able to use the airbrush for a single painting session before it got so gummed up it was unusable. I think I may have put the hobby shop owner's kids through college with the money I dropped on AZTEK airbrush nozzles back then.

LOL, gotcha. I mainly shoot acrylics thru mine, so clean up just consists of blowing large
quantities of water thru the brush and nozzle.
If I don't thin my paints well, I do notice that it clogs a bit from time to time.

I have been using a Vega 2000 for years works great for all types of stuff and I think they still come with 2 different sized needles and heads.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back