Greetings from the Inland Northwest!

HeadHunter

New Hunter
After scouring the internet for what seems like too long, I believe I found what I've been looking for. Well, at least it's a start.

I guess I'll begin with why I'm here, and if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them!

For many years it's been a dream of mine to get my hands on a quality Boba Fett costume for cosplaying at local conventions, and general frolicking around to express my love of the character to the world. I'd like to point out that, like many others who have come here in the past, there are a few obstacles in my way. The biggest obstacle I face is being a thin lady and a meagre 5'6" without the help of heels. The second biggest obstacle is that I haven't got any funds right now to go forking over $2000 for a fully completed costume.

I'm sure you can imagine my excitement coming across the Rubies' Deluxe for $600 -$800! It seemed almost too good to be true, and of course; it was. After doing my research I discovered that it could very well be cheaper (and less of a headache) to attempt gathering bits and bobs of the costume from thrift-shops and repainting a Jango Fett helmet than dealing with the sub-par Rubies'. I'm just in need of some guidance. Mostly for the helmet, but also regarding hiding the fact that I'm a lady in a Boba Fett costume. We're all trying to be as authentic as possible, right?

You wonderful folk seem to have been through this before, and are more-than-helpful with the others who come here in search of assistance. I guess chose the name HeadHunter because the thing I'm looking for primarily is the helmet. It's a Bucket for my Bucket List. The rest I try to figure out on my own, for the most part, but the helmet needs to be perfect.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...

Help me, The Dented Helmet. You're my only hope.

Hey there, welcome!

I'm a guy, but I've got the same problem, being thin and 5'6". From what I've been reading, it shouldn't be an issue, as long as the materials are matched up to fit for an accurate look to the size.

A possible solution for the funds issue is that many parts of the outfit can be made, if you have any crafting abilities. Unfortunately I don't have any, so I'm stuck buying my pieces. Oh well.

Best of luck with your build! This is certainly the place to be for all the best knowledge and inspiration. Again, welcome!

for helmets both of you should contact asok for a cold cast gmh. it's the most screen accurate helmet currently available to costumers. also, headhunter, are you a member of the 501st and part of garrison titan? i have a friend in coeur d'alene that once had both boba and jango costumes, he's a member here; you should pm huntman and i'm pretty sure he'd be willing to help you out face to face.

but anyway, welcome to TDH

Hey there, welcome!

I'm a guy, but I've got the same problem, being thin and 5'6". From what I've been reading, it shouldn't be an issue, as long as the materials are matched up to fit for an accurate look to the size.

A possible solution for the funds issue is that many parts of the outfit can be made, if you have any crafting abilities. Unfortunately I don't have any, so I'm stuck buying my pieces. Oh well.

Best of luck with your build! This is certainly the place to be for all the best knowledge and inspiration. Again, welcome!

Thank you for the warm welcome and support!

I'm also glad to hear that I'm not in as much of trouble as I feared I might be. Or at least that others are in the same boat, on a voyage we can overcome together. I'm blessed at least with broad shoulders, so a modded helmet shouldn't look ridiculous on me, lol! At least I hope not.

I have heard many of the armor bits can be made by carving dense foam, and then layering a smooth plastic coating overtop of it? Unfortunately I'm not really sure where to begin, as I'm not very crafty with 3-Dimensional art. I can paint, but my sculpting skills might need some polishing. I'm really looking forward to arming myself with whatever it is I'll need to progress.

for helmets both of you should contact asok for a cold cast gmh. it's the most screen accurate helmet currently available to costumers. also, headhunter, are you a member of the 501st and part of garrison titan? i have a friend in coeur d'alene that once had both boba and jango costumes, he's a member here; you should pm huntman and i'm pretty sure he'd be willing to help you out face to face.

but anyway, welcome to TDH

Sadly I'm a member of neither, as I'm a bit new to the scene of Film-Accurate costuming. I did, however, dress as Darth Vader when I was 13 for Halloween after pleading with Toys R Us to sell the Darth Vader Voice-Changer Helmet to me a week before its official shelf release. Aaaaand... well, it was disappointing, but at least it was the best thing available to a typical 13 year old girl at the time!

To be honest I never really look into joining cosplay/costume groups because I'm slightly agoraphobic. Though I can definitely see myself becoming a part of 501st, if allowed. It would be a dream come true! I worry a lot, being female, because I find that a vocal minority of comic book and nerd culture seems to discriminate a bit against women. At least, this has been my experience.

The slight agoraphobia, and fear of discrimination, is part of the reason why the idea of costuming as a completely anonymous person, fully covered without the slightest hint of my identity or gender, is an appealing idea. Something about complete anonymity, especially at conventions, makes me feel entirely invincible. Boba Fett is perfect because he doesn't speak much, essentially allowing me to mime and coolly gesture my way through most situations. The fact that he is my favorite Star Wars character helps motivate me even further in my goal.

I have experience with miming as Charlie Chaplin, and can slip into beloved character roles very easily.

Sorry to talk so much, but I really feel quite at home here already! Thank you guys for welcoming me so kindly!

I'm in the local 501st. We have several females. Let me know if you need help we have several armor parties throughout the year to repair armor and assist new people with their builds

I'm in the local 501st. We have several females. Let me know if you need help we have several armor parties throughout the year to repair armor and assist new people with their builds

Sounds wonderful! I'm looking forward to meeting up with you all sometime! It's going to be a little while before I can tackle my build due to lack of funds, but in the meantime I'm going to be here arming myself with the knowledge of what I need, and getting to know all of you! The excitement is starting to build!

You don't need a costume to be a part of the group. We also have spotters who help keep us from tripping over stairs and generally hang out with until the get their costume done......
..without spotters trooping is very tough.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back