Boba's Z-6 pepakura build

blackace936

New Hunter
so I started this Pepakura build using Fierfek's files from the RPF. This isnt my first work in pepakura but it is the first one that I plan on fully completing. all the others I have made just made it to the resin stage and maybe some paint as "look at me" type thing. Here is my progress up to the resining stage:
100_3848.JPG

100_3851.JPG
upon completing the rocket I feared I would have to redo it because it got a bit gnarled in the mid section.... had my fingers crossed though
100_3852.JPG
With a couple of options on where to start the main body I decided to go from the back out. (or would it be the front? anyways, the part that actually connects to the backplate)
100_3854.JPG
I then proceeded to build outwards with the two pentagonal shafts that flank either side of the central tube.
100_3855.JPG
knowing I couldn't continue the central shaft with any form structural integrity I added the base and a portion of the curved top.
100_3866.JPG
I forgot to take photos around here but here it is with the caps connected and the two shafts linked by the center of the pack.
100_3867.JPG
here is the pack with the main body completed. (I plan to do the thrusters at a later date)
100_3868.JPG
I took two days to resin the mixture because I used very little hardener. this was done semi-intentionally as I have heard that the longer it takes to cure the smoother the final result will be. This worked great the first day but I got impatient today. (the orange piece is to keep the thruster attachment point circular as it kept wanting to collapse)
100_3870.JPG
here it is after the resin had fully cured. (note the rough on the right side of pack. this is a direct outcome of my aforementioned impatience.)

That's my progress so far. I will probably be building the thrusters and rondoing the inside of the pack over the long weekend.
If you are wondering what happened to the rocket I trashed it. After the resin and rondo it got pretty messed up and I decided it wasnt worth the effort of trying to salvage it. so a new rocket is also on the agenda!

any advice or constructive input would be greatly appreciated!

You can by Bondo brand in smaller sizes. Are you using any of the woven or matted glass fabric? Without it, you have no strength. Even with it, and you would want to use it on the inside, you will have tons of Bondo-ing and sanding.

I'm using rondo on the inside to give it its strength. I used it on the rocket before I trashed it and got great results. couldnt crush it even with 60 psi of force on it.

Are you filling the parts with bondo? You should look at Wizard of Flights jet pack templates. I think you are creating a lot of work for yourself with the pepakura patterns.

rondo on the inside and then covering it with bondo on the outside for finishing. I finished rondo yesterday and it came out super strong with a pretty reasonable weight. I'll probably start the bondo over the next weekend and slowly work on it over the next few months. I don't mind the time consumption all that much because this was always intended as a long term project.
I've never heard of wizards of flight, what do they do?

black ace:

Look up armor templates here on the dented helmet in the armor forum. It is usually near the top of the list. His templates would be easier than what you are working with. If nothing else, they might give you some helpful ideas. For all other parts, I'd recommend Rafal Fetts templates also here in the armor forum.

thanks for the advice but I'm already invested this far and Pep is what I have experience in. It may not be the easiest build but I am happy to take on the challenge.

sorry for the long wait and no update but with finals and I just started an internship I havnt had much time to work on it. I'm going to try an idea I had that I havnt seen before to finish it. some parts of the model are low poly and would take weeks of bondo work to get them smooth and cylindrical. I recently found some very light weight modeling clay I'm going to use on the outside to get the shape I desire. once I'm pleased with that I'll let it sun cure for 2-4 weeks (enough to dry it out but not get shrinking and cracking) once I'm satisfied with the clay I will shell it in bondo and then finishing work. I havn't seen this exact technique used before, any idea if it will work or not?

thanks! rafa fett! :D print on letter and A4 and there is a difference of 10 mm I do?

That difference is there because the page formats don't share the same width and height. The A4 format is longer while the LTR is wider, so if you print out a LTR file to an A4 paper, the result will be a bit bigger (if you use the fit to page option), but if you print out an A4 file to a LTR paper, the resulted image will be a bit smaller. Print out only the paper format you have in your printer.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back