Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Terrantula

This is just absolutely terrible.

I'll tell you what I can do, but only because I feel bad for Terrantula. I've got an untouched ASOK CC GMH sitting here. You go ahead and finish that one up and send it to me and I'll send you this brand new one so you can try again, hopefully doing a better job this time. I'll dispose of that one for you to make sure it doesn't get seen in public causing you any further embarrassment.

:p

lol, I appreciate the support MisterFubar ;)

Eric,

This is looking incredible. Smile goes ear to ear right now!!!

Thanks for everything!!
Scott

:lol: After sitting in traffic on my way home from work for an hour and 15 minutes, I can
always count on TDH for a grin.

MisterFubar, you'll have to discuss any changes to this deal with Terrantula! But I'm pretty
much positive that he won't go for it.

Raf, thanks! Don't know if the killstripe post is "sticky worthy" or not. Just trying to help out
the members where I can.

Necronaut, by the time I'm done with the misting coats and weathering, the base green for the
dome/cheeks is really nothing like how it looks coming out of the bottle. I use both darker and
lighter mixtures during the process, so the base green is very "muddied" at the end of the process.
But yes, I use PollyScale acrylics almost exclusively, with a couple of Tamiya acrylics for some
of the details.

Personally I like the look of the "muddied" green because, to my eye, it makes it look like old oxidized paint. Not so fresh and pristine...

I agree. I'll be getting that same look for my recently painted and clear-coated armor parts while I wait for my Pollyscale paints to arrive in the mail. I've got a brand-new GMH waiting for its paint job, and I will be following your past ESB WIP's very closely for guidance, superjedi!

One final question. I hear that an ESB helmet's been used on a Star Wars exhibition tour... which one? I'd like to start compiling some reference material before I paint.

UPDATE: June 8, 2013

Today's session ends all the "basic" painting on the dome. :)
I finished the network of silver and gray damage in between the killstripes.
I also did the fade below the stripes. It's always been my theory that this
is masking tape residue. I don't have any facts to back this up, it just has that look.
To do the fade, I use very watered down PollyScale Concrete with a size 0 brush.
I apply it in several passes, letting the color develop slowly with each application.
It's basically a pale beige wash that's strategically applied, rather than covering
an entire surface. It has a very subtle appearance, but it is on the screen used
helmet, so it goes on my replicas. (y)

IMG_3329_zps80ddf951.jpg

That's probably gonna be it for today, as my wife and I have some plans this afternoon with
her family. But tomorrow. . . base red for the mandibles! After the red goes on, it will really
transform the appearance of the entire helmet.

Thanks guys. :)

UPDATE: June 9, 2013

The sea of green has been parted! Let there be red.

IMG_3334_zpsf4ceb4c0.jpg

Got the base coat down on the mandibles earlier. Now it's really starting to take
on the Fett look.

IMG_3336_zps169e2ea1.jpg

This stage involves the most complex masking of the entire project. It actually takes
longer to mask everything off than it does to airbrush the mandibles! But that's how
it goes.

IMG_3337_zpsb2d11a64.jpg

Tomorrow I'll begin adding the gray/silver/maroonish damage areas to the red sections.
I'll begin with the keyslot section, then work my way around until everything behind the
ear platforms is done. The front of the mandibles will be last.

IMG_3338_zps65323d3a.jpg

At this point, the only thing I'll be using my airbrush for is to do the ears. I generally
don't work on the ears till after the main part of the helmet is done.

Entering the home stretch now, Scott! :)

Ah yes, the step where boba gets his lovely application of lipstick... That sassy little bounty hunter.. Awesome bud! :)

Thanks guys!

Ah yes, the step where boba gets his lovely application of lipstick... That sassy little bounty hunter.. Awesome bud! :)

You like that Jonny, wait till I put the mascara on! :lol:

UPDATE: June 10, 2013

The detailing continues. I've started the damage on the red areas with the keyslot section.
Still using my SP Lark Dk Gray and silver, but also add some PRR Maroon to set off the gray.

IMG_3339_zps063db708.jpg

This process will continue around the "hat band" and onto the mandibles. Every day gets
a little bit closer now. (y)

Thanks 22!

UPDATE: June 11, 2013

Moving onto the hatband now. I've got the central portion done. There's a lot
of fairly intricate stuff going on in this relatively small section of the helmet.

IMG_3341_zpse94e8071.jpg

From here, I'll keep working outward toward both ear platforms. If everything goes OK, I should
have all the detailing behind the ears done by Friday. :) Then, it's on to the front!

Thanks for following along Redboy!

UPDATE: June 14, 2013

Going a bit slower than anticipated, but I had to take time to celebrate Mrs. Superjedi's
birthday yesterday! :) :love

I've also encountered a problem with my good digital camera, so pics for the next few
updates will be from my phone.

I worked around behind the right ear. Still using the same gray/silver/maroon as on the
keyslots and the rest of the band and mandible areas.

44444_zpsc591d9db.jpg

Next will be the portions behind the left ear. The white "thumbprints" will come much later
at the end of final weathering and sealing.

UPDATE: June 15, 2013

Still using my phone cam. . . so pics are kind of hit or miss. :(

Making lots of progress thanks to the weekend. I've gotten everything behind the ear
platforms done, and I've moved on to the front of the mandibles. I started at the left
corner of the visor.

555_zps75105b77.jpg

Lots of detail crammed into that little corner! I also started moving across the "eyebrow" section
above the visor cutout. I'm halfway across the front at this point.

54545_zpseb2da42d.jpg

I'll continue across the eyebrow area and then that will leave the mandibles themselves.
Scott had requested that I install one of Mojo's replica Borden connectors, too. I'll be
drilling out the molded-in Borden at some point and installing the crisp, beautiful brass one. (y)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back