ROTJ Cape Information

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
Yeah ive always loved that he looks at R2 like that, i think i read somewhere that he recognized R2 from bespin or something? Also, i dont know if this is right but ive noticed that Fett looks at the screen in every movie. Everybody knows he looks at it in the SE ANH. But also, on SE ROTJ, when hes walking across jabbas bed he turns and looks at the screen. And im not quite sure but i remember when going to see SE ESB at the theater that when Fett is walking down the hall at cloud city in front of han in carbonite, he turns his head to the screen like he notices Luke down the hall. Ive got the 5 star dvd but the pictures still not good enough to tell...or maybe im just going crazy...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeap it's a complete frame flip in the Jabba's palace thermal detonator scene.

I didn't see any turn to the screen in the ESB SE Han Carbonite Walk, but the focus is so far away, who knows.

the se is VERY subtle. It's actually in the original version too but you really have to watch it. As Fett hits about mid-screen he turn his head about 45 degrees. Watch the bottom right area of his head, I think that's where it's most noticeable.

I hadn't noticed it until I saw se on the screen, but it is in the original version as well, I've confirmed it.

Phil

Subtle isn't the word for it jmp... almost impossible to see is!! However, Fett def does turn his head and look down the hallway. Very very cool..

ANH:
Look_ANH.jpg

ESB:
Look_ESB.jpg

RotJ:
Look_RotJ.jpg

Here is a closeup of the ESb scene: In the first shot you can clearly see fett's head is in profile. In the second, if you look close you can see the visor is now turned toward the camera.
Look_ESB1.jpg

Although the SE shots are obviously menat to have Fett look at the audience I don't think that is the case with ESb and even if so, I believe this is a much better image of Fett giving us the STARE!
Look_ESB2.jpg

Look_ANH.jpg

Look_ESB.jpg

Look_RotJ.jpg

Look_ESB1.jpg

Look_ESB2.jpg

Last edited:
I had no idea that was in ESB. You guys have an awesome eye for detail. BB you never seem to fall short of impressive your pics on hand.

He's hyper-alert with a suit tricked out with all sorts of sensors. Yeah, I'd say he was pretty on top of things...until some blind man hit him with a stick. :lol:

The mirror images you see of Fett were done in the film editing room. This helps to set the stage so to speak and provides a better visual "flow" to the action.

Most theatre attendees would never catch it, but when you've watched the movies as many times as we have, you tend to pick up on more and more subtle details with each viewing (and there are LOTS of them). As you know, discoveries are still being made to this day. :)

Hmmmm, don't know BF. It looks very familiar to me. It's a picture I've not seen since....

Well, at least we're not going crazy with the ESB Fett "peek-a-Luke." I really had thought it was in the OT ESB, but it was so subtle watching the SE, that I thought it could be a tilt; it could not be a tilt. I'm sold on the peek through the zoom-in.

Watching that scene in slo-mo, Fett really puts a few shots up Luke's nose. Damn that alive clause...

Supposedly in ROTJ the scene was filmed with Leia supposed to to be on one side. But when they worked it out, JB's movements were to the opposite direction. Therefore they flipped the film, making a mirror image. The biggest proof is the range finder, which is on the left side instead of right throughout that scene.

At least that's what I think I read somewhere

shmeagol wrote:

...Yeah ive always loved that he looks at R2 like that, i think i read somewhere that he recognized R2 from bespin or something?...
...And im not quite sure but i remember when going to see SE ESB at the theater that when Fett is walking down the hall at cloud city in front of han in carbonite, he turns his head to the screen like he notices Luke down the hall...
i dont think his remember, maybe, just maybe, but you need to remember the technology he had on his(our :D) helmet... all appear in hes eyes, data of all, and he had an antena not only to establish a communication with Slave1 :)

my thoughts :D

Well, as far as a classical film reason for the mirror image (and I keep posting this in other threads, so you guys are probably sick of me), the simplest example is if you have two characters talking to each other in profiles. If they're both facing the left side of the screen, yet talking to each other, the audience is going to be confused. It looks like they're facing the same direction. So you have to flip one of them, so they look like they're facing each other in the cuts. it's called "crossing the axis", and puts an imaginary line from person A's face, to person B's face, and the camera cannot cross it. When you add in reaction shots from peripheral characters, it gets more complicated. The best example in Star Wars for the axis crossing is at the end of ESB, I think it's Piett who has his rank thingie on the wrong side of his chest. The reason is that they'd already established which side of the bridge he and Vader were on, and Vader was facing one way, and they'd filmed Piett was the correct way, but on the wrong side of the bridge, so they had to reverse it. Make sense?

And yeah, that's something I noticed when I saw ESB in the theater for the special editions, about Fett looking down that hall. I just assume he was looking at Luke though. And that's why the ANHSE is so jarring to me, he looks right at the camera, no denying, and breaks the fourth wall. Very disturbing to me, as a film dork. The others you can say he was looking at Luke, R2, or just waiting for those Bespin guys to stow Han. But the ANH one, he is so damn blatant about it...it ruined the whole scene for me. (I mean, even ignoring the not so great cgi Jabba.)

Slightly off-topic...

Did anyone else notice that the CGI Jango was mirrored as he takes off from the landing platform on Kamino. (In the duel with Obi-Wan).

His guantlets are on the wrong arms.

They use that shot a lot on publicity photos and posters - when you know it's wrong, it becomes very annoying.

Steve

Yeah, I think that's in the Jango section now, but that was the first thread where we talked about flipping the negative, etc.

ATTN. Tyler and other fett enthusiast

I have been reading the post about an E.S.B. helmet in R.O.T.J.
and found A disscovery last night.I did A search to see if this had alread been mentioned.I had no luck.So here it is.S.E. trilogy
rotj.Right after boushh enters jabbas palace and pulls out the det.When boba takes aim at boushh.The entire image is reversed.His rangefinder,bars on helmet,and guantlets are reversed.Just like A mirror image.For some reason I never noticed this.Has this been postd before?I for some reason doubt that I just found this.But I wanted to bring this fact to everyones attention.

I think someone already mentioned that... cuz i knew about it.
still its a good find!

Haha! I wrote the same thing here a few days ago. I first noticed it too. I guess we have all pulled out our copies of ROTJ, huh?

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back