Neck Seal Information

BountyHunter185

Active Hunter
hey, please forgive me if this has already been mentioned or if i am mistaken, but when i was looking through the online reference pics i noticed on one of the pics what looked like two neck seals. One the color of the jumpsuit and the other is the color of the vest.
i'll try and post a pic, and once again please forgive me if i am mistaken or if this has been mentioned before.

here's a direct link to it instead, let me know what any of you think.
http://www.essat.cl/cdref/0001_0100/Boba_Fett_008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The neck seal is part of the vest. The piece you're seeing that's the same color as the jumpsuit is his hood thing (the name of this peice escapes me). :)

-Austin
BH-1116

Surprisingly, the neck seal is actually part of the jumpsuit, and not the vest. You can see it in Star Wars Chronicles. The whole outfit is layed out on the ground, and you can see the jumpsuit has the neck seal, and the vest doesn't have anything. Somebody's probably scanned it in somewhere on the web, too.

I could have sworn I saw a pic of the vest with the neck seal attached. Guess it's time to go look through the ref pics :p

-Austin
BH-1116

Here is a pic:

FettRef1.jpg

FettsBounty wrote:The neck seal is part of the vest. The piece you're seeing that's the same color as the jumpsuit is his hood thing (the name of this peice escapes me). :)

-Austin
BH-1116

It is called a Bala Clava and Green Pepper, from JoAnn's, has a pattern for one if you need it.

The vest and the neck seal are slightly different colors, the neck seal is almost white, while the vest has a slight grey hue to it. At least for thr ROTJ suit.

Prepro they both seem to be the same color grey (darker than ROTJ). I also wonder about the origins of the "pleated" look the neck seal has in some artwork and maybe even a photo (though I can't find one right now), as opposed to the "quilted" look we see in most photos. I am wondering if there were neck seals sewn in both styles, but used with different suits. I've seen the "pleated" look in most ESB artwork. (Again, not sure about ever seeing any photos of this).

I know the original jumpsuit had the pleated neckpiece sewn onto it, but I never liked the zipper to go all the way up the front like that. I prefer to put the neckpiece onto the armor vest itself, since it appears to be the same material, that way I can put the zipper in the back. Zipper remains hidden.

Are there any pictures of a movie Fett with a 'neckless' jumpsuit, or were they all all like that? Better yet, are there any pictures that show the front close-up?
Any thoughts or suggestions? Which is the preferred method?

It appears to me that the neckpiece in the movie (esb at any rate) is either part of the vest or a separate piece altogether. It may in fact be sewn to the jumpsuit as most fan-based ones are, but it definitely is not the same material.

I don't mind it up the front (better than up the rear hehe)
because the helmet, collar armor and fold of the neck will hide the zipper mostly. My RA jumpsuit had an extra small flap that cover the zipper very well.

Personally for my next suit I think I want the neck piece as a dickey or attached to the vest.

We'll see how Gotmaul's esb project takes shape...

PHil

All practicality aside, the neck seal is attached to the jumpsuit. Both the Chronicles pics and the MOM pics show the neck seal sewn to the jumpsuit. As far ESB is concerned, I'll have to check my photos again to see if there is a clear picture to support the "sewn to jumpsuit" neck seal, but believe it is also sewn to the jumpsuit for ESB.

As JP said, it is not the same material as the jumpsuit; it is the same material as the vest, only slightly lighter in color.

I'll post some photos tonight, Ninja.

That's sort of what I thought. I knew everyone seemed to agree that the neck was attached to the jumpsuit, but the problem is that most tailors simply extend the jumpsuit material into a neck piece, making it horribly off-color.

But Tyler's never steered me wrong, indeed in Tyler we trust :)

I hope this can be worked out in the growing esb jumpsuit movement :)

Thanks TD,
PHil

i suppose I could put the jumpsuit zipper in the BACK, that way the neckpiece seam would be nonexistent from the front.

You can't have the neck seal close in front AND have it attached to the vest. Unless you are plastic-man or can dress yourself by snapping your fingers. :) The vest can't close all the way down the front like the neck does, or it will look very off.

LoL...

Which is precisely why you attach it to the jumpsuit. Plus, it gives you that extra snazzy "accurate" feeling.

Thanks, Tyler, I had never seen that pic before...THAT CLOSE. What cologne was he wearing? hehe...

Guess I'll rethink my next pattern. Pics forthcomng.

I am definately all for the "attach the neckseal to the jumpsuit" thing.

The only time I possibly wouldn't is with a hood that has a neck seal that can tuck into the jumpsuit. (Like the screen-usd, but with the closure and stitching of the outer neck seal, not the hood neck). Thing is....I think even then that the altered hood neck would tuck in and sit right. A "dickie" is just going to get shifted all over the place. And no comments about how you aren't supposed to shift those in public, either.... I know you guys too well.

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back