Creating the Jumpsuit or Coveralls

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date

DarthVader1 wrote:

..... one fabric that it's the same color, but not as thick as the one I have as sample (besides, more expensive too, cause the "$1.00 X yard" have more quality and they were the same thickness as my sample than the one they had which cost $2.60 the yard. BUMMER!!!
I'd gladly pay $2.60/yard (or more) for the correct fabric. The correct vest fabric was $16.00/yd.

phantomfett, do you happen to remember the name of the fabric you bought, or even better, still have the roll & label that it came on?

Last edited by a moderator:
...can you post pics of your completed suit? I know the Dickies jumpsuit isn't very accurate but I dont have the cash or the resources to have one made. I'm very curious as to how they look on a completed Fett. ESB or ROTJ, it doesn't matter.

This is mine. Standard gray Dickies with 7 packs of Rit color remover:

NO DISINTEGRATIONS! ;) (our 501st group is CRAZY!)

tdhnodis.jpg

Actually, the RIT dye remover isn't that hard to use, not like actual dyeing because you don't need to mix colors. I've used a package of this stuff after messing up on my girth color. Stinks really bad, but gets the job done:puke.

Ely

Here's my Dickies suit. No dye, but a lot of weathering and some fading in the sun.

DV1-To get the pocket fabric right, you've got to buy two jumpsuits. One for the base suit, and the other gets all but completely used up to make the pockets, pouches, and sleeves.

3.jpg

I was looking now at the Red Kap brand at the website I was given, and the 100% cotton coveralls doesn't have the color we're looking for (but they're almost half the price from the Dickies, though). Besides, they have the cotton twill blend, but still don't have the right color, unless you're looking for an ESB version, that they have a Charcoal Grey (still not bad).
Now...if anyone went on the Red Kap way (which I think GATER did) ;) ...which color or which one did you went with and what did you do with it???

Robert

I bought the post man blue but that was before I knew anything about the costume and was referencing off of some of the do it yourself sites and recommendations. I will be stripping it white with RIT. Id go with the white and dye it. there is a thread around here on the dye's (RIT) to use.

For my jango, I used the postman blue coverall and rit dyed it with purple. I will probably dye it once more to get it the way I think it should be. I also had to add the outer "sleeves" and sew the "crimp" in each of the sleeve biceps. Does that make sense? Anyway, it turned our really well. I'll post some pics in a couple of days.(y)

IMHO, if you're of a 'standard' size, you could try going for a Military Flightsuit type sizing.

I was going custom and went the route of a CWU-27P in 36 Short. Fits perfectly, plus it gives me an incentive NOT to put on any more weight. :D

Hope this helps.

Stay safe.

Tim.

fitted would be the way to go, my jumpsuit is definitly more fitted, its tighter thru the whole body, and upper legs...the lower legs are a little baggier....

Dickies coveralls are ordered based on *chest* size - not *waist* size. I have a 44" chest, I ordered a "44", and it fits perfectly. I modded the crap out of it, and now it looks as good, to me, as any of the "custom" ones I've seen at events, and I'm REALLY picky about details. I paid $32 + shipping for the coveralls, and after adding pockets and miscellaneous "features", I'm sure I have less than $50 in it... Probably more like $45, which IMO is darn cheap for a suit. I washed it with 6 packages of Rit color remover, and got it lightened-up to the right shade of "ROTJ gray" too.

Just my thoughts. :)

For my custom Mandalore, I ordered a size 40x31 Dickies Red Short Sleeve Coverall. It was $23.50 + shipping. I haven't gotten it yet so we'll see how it fits.

Does anyone have apic of either the RED KAP or BIG MAC jumpsuit?
Are they 100% cotton (dyeable)? Or do they come in grey already?

Thanks

Check Here for the Red Kap suits. There are 100% cotton ones, as well as others. For others, bottom of page.

Jedi-Bob wrote:

Does anyone have apic of either the RED KAP or BIG MAC jumpsuit?
Are they 100% cotton (dyeable)? Or do they come in grey already?

Thanks
[BIG MAC] brand 65% polyester 35% cotton and yes they come in grey .

Yikes! The 100% gray Red Kap jumpsuit is striped! If your thinking of getting one, I'd avoid the gray and get the white one.

media.asp

I just got my Dickie's yesterday, and this is what I got the same way they were packed, of course I had to unfold one of them to try it myself...
RROOCWPTZD-Dickies1.png

VYCTIUZCLE-Dickies2.png

They're 100% cotton and the grey color is adequate for an ESB costume, and they match the original color of Slave1's gloves as well.

Now, the big question is...can they be bleached or lighten up a little like S1's gloves? Boba Phat said that he did that with his Dickie's and they look awesome. Please, post for opinions on what to do next.

Robert

Jedi-Bob wrote:

They look pretty good, but I am doing ROTJ, so what would be my best option?

I'm doing a ROTJ too. What I mentioned about the ESB is that the color is good for a ESB Boba. That's why I'm looking as you do for opinions of how to bleach it or lighten them up. They're 100% cotton, so according for what I've heard so far, I see no problem about bleaching them.

Robert

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back