Gloves Information

By the way...you could tell that the gloves were actually brown Jersey gloves that you could find a pair for $1 at Dollar General, Family Dollar or Dollar Tree, which I think that you could find them at the first one I mentioned before. I think that they were used before, because they look lighter in color or probably they lighten them up a little for the PreProd. model, that then they added the same finger and forehand add-ons like in ESB/ROTJ style glove, but tan color.

The emblems in the forehand are actual military DCU (Desert Combat Uniform) color, FORSCOM symbol that you could find at a military surplus store. Try www.rangerjoes.com if they have them.

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't see the hourglass patch, but they did have this one:

Army Ground Forces
Sew On Patch Desert

8378.jpg

Well, I have a correction to make on the gloves on the second Prepro suit: It has a snap instead of a button and eyelet. Either I forgot that or I am an idiot who thought the 2nd prepro had a button and eyelet.

Here is the proof:
glove_snap.jpg

The 3rd prepro has the button and eyelet that we see on the ESB and ROTJ gloves (MoM & AoSW). Proof of the button and eyelet on the third prepro:

glove_eyelet.jpg

All you prepro guys need snaps now!! :D

I can't seem to find a pic showing the back of the 2nd prepro gloves clearly. I am working on adjusting one of those images now to see if something shows up.

The emblems in the forehand are actual military DCU (Desert Combat Uniform) color, FORSCOM symbol that you could find at a military surplus store. Try www.rangerjoes.com if they have them.

Robert

The patch is FORSCOM, but it's just the regular subdued patch. In the 80's, the desert wasn't a major theater and they didn't have desert patches back then. Only since Desert Storm has the military started mass producing DCU patches. And the other patch (hourglass) is the 7th Infantry Division, again, regular subdued. 7th ID was deactivated in the early 90's. Right now, as far as I know, only a small detatchment of 7th ID are active at FT Carson, CO. Sorry for the history lesson. Look at any surplus store in your area. You can probably buy the patches for a buck each.

Wes

Edit: fixed the quote tags. :D

That's the one. I would suggest a surplus store. They'll be cheaper and you'll have the patches right then.

Agent of Doom wrote:

Look what I found.
http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/2534422.jpg
it was also available i think in olive drab and black

Yep, that's the 7th Infantry Division (Light). That's the other one you want, but subdued (green and black). That picture is of the class A patch.
How much are they asking? If it's more than a couple of dollars, don't get it. If there are no military surplus stores in your area, I'll stop by the one here. He has stacks of them for like a buck each(don't quote me). If not, I can go to clothing sales (I'm in the Army) and buy some.
If anybody wants them let me know.

Wes

Gloves

I got my Boba gloves today, or at least a base for the Boba gloves. Parade gloves, no snap or button for 2 bucks from the army surplus store in town. They were selling them cheap because their mediums run a bit small. Fit me fine though. I'm off to work then to buy dye and other materials. I'll try to post progress pics as I go. The Summer of Fett 2003 begins. Boots are next I guess.

*UPDATE*

Dyed the gloves and they turned out a little dark after just seconds in the dye. I think it will fade though. I tried sewing last night and it is not for me, so I'm going to cheat. I bought some of that iron in seam and will be trying that in a matter of minutes. Hopefully it will work and all I'll have to sew is the lines in the top of the hand. Pics to follow sometime in the near future.

They were asking 3 bucks each, but I won't need these patches until well after I'm finished with my first pair of gloves(ROTJ) and go on to make the other versions.

I went and bought some patches. I posted a thread. If you want any, I have 7 sets, $5 shipped.

On the subject of the Pre-Pro gloves, I've always thought that they were not the same parade gloves as the ESB/ROTJ base glove. The material texture and the cut always made them appear to me as if they were some type of suede glove, maybe a work glove or driving glove.

It seems that we are making a distinction between a 1st version of the Pre-Pro gloves, and a 2nd version. I think it's the 1st version that I've always thought of as the suede-type gloves. If there actually are two versions of the Pre-Pro gloves, then the 2nd version may be same base gloves, or they may be the standard brown jersey gardening gloves.

However, after studying the pics in Chronicles, I've fairly convinced myself that none of the Pre-Pro gloves are brown jersey gardening gloves. As I mentioned above, the material texture and cut seem to be different from the standard jersey gloves. Also, the "cuff" of the gloves seems to be inconsistent with the standard jersey gloves--the jersey ones always have an elastic-type "stretchy" cuff, while the pics in Chronicles suggest that such a cuff does not exist on the Pre-Pro gloves. This may mean that the parade gloves were used as a base, but looking at the texture and cut of the base gloves, I still doubt this.

I may need to go home, dig out Chronicles, fire up my cheapo scanner and see if I can demonstrate my theories. ;)

My apologies for the ramble. I've been wanting to have this discussion for some time! :)

B]<B>Merged:</B> Gloves[/b]

Ok, it works. In the time it took me to sew half a finger I have "glued" two. I bought this stuff called Steam-A-Seam2 fusible tape for 4.50 at Hobby Lobby. I trace a finger, cut it out, cut the fusible tape in half (its 1/4 of an inch, too wide for fingers and the added batting) stick it to the glove and finger and iron... the only problem im having is that the fingers are fraying on the sides. Looks good though. Cost of gloves was 2 bucks, 3 for the white material and 4.50 for the tape. Fett gloves for 10 bucks...

I dont have a digi cam so I'm going to finish one of the gloves tonight and have a friend take pics so I can post them tomorrow or Friday. Another friend just told me there is something I can buy that makes material not fray. So I may be doing these over.

Almost done with the second glove. I'm having a bit of trouble with the hand patch, getting it to match the first glove. These have turned out terrific so far. Mind you, they arent as well crafted as Slave 1's, but they are good enough. If I can get my hand on a digital camera I may post a tutorial for the rest of you budget Bobas. The first glove took some time to do but the second one took maybe an hour, including messing up the hand pad two times. I have plenty of fabric and batting leftover so I may try my hand at this again. Two bucks for a pair of gloves is all that will take.

For what it's worth, I bought a few pairs of long-cuffed white parade gloves from paradestore.com. There are NO stitch lines on the backs of the hands. Rememeber, although these lines might be covered up by the right hand pad, the left hand pad is shorter, to make room for the gauntlet extension. You might not be able to cover up these stitch lines on the left glove.

Also, the longer cuff (although not movie-accurate), allows me to pull the glove up over the jumpsuit sleeve, about halfway up the forearm, and makes the gauntlet wear/removal alot easier. It also looks alot better than the bunching at the wrist, as with shorter gloves.

I bought three pairs, and set up a dye mixture with Rit Pearl grey color. The first was too dark, second was too light, but the third was JUST RIGHT (you guys remember the fairy tale with the bears). Anyhoo, I dried all three pairs to make sure I got the correct color hold, and made my own pads for the backs of the hands and fingers.

Total cost of gloves: $20 and some change.

NOTE: For those thinking of using a machine to sew these pads, or glue- the movie props were HAND-SEWN. This process gives them a more worn-out look.

In that respect, Slave1's are the closest I've ever seen. Until I get MINE finished. :)

I scored some sweet parade gloves at an army surplus store yesterday, and they were only 50 cents:D! they were a little old, look like they've been sittin there for a while, but that makes em better! they don't have the button closure, but they are a longer cuff that I like better anyway! I used a light grey krylon spraypaint, and painted, then washed them, and they came out nice! now to start the sewing process....ugh:rolleyes

Eric,

Do you remember what the mixture was that you used to dye your gloves? I just got my own set of parade gloves a week or so ago (cost more to ship them than the gloves were worth), and was about to do some experimenting on dyes but . . if you can help shed some light, that would be great.

Jer

Unfortunately, I don't have an exact measurement for you. That's why I bought three pairs. I used a stove-top pot with hot water, a little laundry detergent to soften the water, and half a bag of dye to start. The first pair was really dark, almost a slate color. So I adjusted as I went through the pairs.

What you COULD do- take the gloves to a fabric store, and have a saleperson help you find the exact material, probably a knit fabric.

Use the spare fabric to set your dye, and dip when you like what you see. Remember, after you dye them, let them dry to make sure your color is what you want. I used Rit pearl grey, by the way.

I wish I had a better answer for you. :( Damn.

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back