how do I make a mold with papermodels

Heatadvisory

New Hunter
Hi, I'm new here but I've been making paper models for a few years now, I need to know how to go about making a mold of my paper Dr.who Tardis key.
I'm not sure about pressing the key into clay because it's made of paper, and I don't want to ruin the key by pouring plaster on it.
Do you guys/gals have any ideas?
thanks.

tardis key no paint.jpg

That's really cool. What kind of material are you planning to put in the mold?

Last edited by a moderator:
RTV or silicone will stick to the paper because they are wet. However, another option would be to use polyethylene or styrene to vacuum form the mold. Here is an example of a guy that does mods and vacuum formed a case for his console Console Modding Site - Vacuum forming guide. You can also youtube vacuum form and get videos that will show you how to get the mold done.

RTV or silicone will stick to the paper because they are wet. However, another option would be to use polyethylene or styrene to vacuum form the mold. Here is an example of a guy that does mods and vacuum formed a case for his console Console Modding Site - Vacuum forming guide. You can also youtube vacuum form and get videos that will show you how to get the mold done.
Thanks for the link, Do you think I could just paint some kind of paint seal or something to give the key a water barrier? if the paper is protected and I spray some anti stick on the key and then use plaster or silicone to make the mold i would think it would work.

And by the way nice costume in your picture.

I was just going to suggest that. You can spray an acrylic clear coat on it to seal it. Once its COMPLETELY dry you can make a silicone mold from it. I think its the best way :) Let it dry and air out for a coupleof days to be sure all the chemicals in the clearcoat evaporate or they will react with the rubber and may prevent it from curing properly, or at all. I learned this the hard way. So give it a couple days after your final coat and you should be good to go :)

I was just going to suggest that. You can spray an acrylic clear coat on it to seal it. Once its COMPLETELY dry you can make a silicone mold from it. I think its the best way :) Let it dry and air out for a coupleof days to be sure all the chemicals in the clearcoat evaporate or they will react with the rubber and may prevent it from curing properly, or at all. I learned this the hard way. So give it a couple days after your final coat and you should be good to go :)
I will try that, I will post pictures of the progress.

You should make a mold before you paint the original. Sometimes, even with a release agent, silicone clings to the paint and you end up with flakes of paint in your mold that come off a little in each casting. I'd suggest filling in your paper from behind with some kind of resin or filler (like Bondo) to make sure the weight of the silicone doesn't cave it in at all.

I did "impression" molds into plastecine, then cast with fibreglass resin for the scratchbuilt greebs on my EE3. The molds are one offs but its super cheap and really quick to make. Just lube your "buck" sculpt with some sort of oil or spray wax, press it into the plastecine for as many copies you want and bam....

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back