ABS, Resin, or Fiberglass for Armor?

Rhapsodyred99

New Hunter
Hello all, I am member of the 501st (ID 11038), and as such I would be wearing the Boba costume to places where kids tend to get very grabby.

What would be a good material to have the hard parts made out of?

I am afraid of resin, as one of my Blasters for my ESB TK is resin, and I end up repairing it after troops in some form or another.

My TK suits are ABS, so I know how resilient that is, but I also know getting paint to stick on it is rough (flexy so it pops off)

Fiberglass seems a safe bet (MY DV parts are Fiberglass) but would be a little more intensive to repair, and heavy....

I am just starting my Fett project, and am trying to feel out what needs to be done.

Is there a comprehensive list of suppliers of the various parts somewhere? Whitearmor.net has a great thread called "the various armortypes and where to find them" or something that was a great help in figuring out what and who to buy from.

I am more interested in Prop Replica than Costume, but I also hate to pay all my money and then wait 6-8 months or longer for the parts. (My vader leather parts are going on 4 months wait now)

Thanks for the help!

The Boba suit is a complicated build with many many pieces. Im taking careful efforts with mine to reduce wardrobe malfunctions of this kind so Im hoping the convention here wont have too many 'hands on' little treasures pulling off souvenirs.

Resin seems to be the most common for moulded boba parts. The armour truly varies from anything that people can get their hands on from sintra to the side of bins. I personally have used acrylic and heat shaped. For kits and suppliers try the "cargo hold" section. I don't know if there is one page listing all...I haven't seen it. But what I can tell you also is that all parts that I have ordered have arrived to Australia from the US in a month or less.

Hope this helps

hi,

I have a bobamaker helmet and armor which are in fiberglass.Great quality, smooth finish. Easy to paint and work with. There are parts that are not very exposed to shocks.
My gauntlets ans jetpack are from man of war. Material used is less heavier and more resistant.
I think that you should consider having parts of different materials according to the constraints they will have to take.

Thanks all.

I am in the process of talking to Wickedbeard and RS Propmasters as the wait times on other makers are into next year.

Thanks!

Bobamaker just made the switch from fiberglass to ABS. RKD makes ABS. I believe FP makes fiberglass. Could be wrong though.

FP makes Vacformed not FG

darkartist81 said:
Yeah, Jeff (Wickedbeard) is an awesome guy. He's working on my armor set right now, his work is top notch, AND the armor is metal! Can't beat it.

Its actually foam covered in metal

Still works. His artistry is top notch regardless of materials. I like the feel of the metal as compared to resin or plastic. To each his own though. I loved my ABS Trooper suit as well. I think it all comes down to personal preference. I know Jeff, I trust Jeff, so I went with Jeff. :cheers

Yeh, Booboo Fett has WB armor, he does a really nice job. Pretty sure he has everything but the backplate as the metal harness rig wouldnt work with the shape.

That's great to hear. I've wondered what it must be like in hand. There are sooo many great artists out there that make armor, it was a tough decision to make. I went with him because I have known him so long. But it was crazy when I got here and didn't know of any members wearing his armor.

And on a side note, it's nice to see another member of the military on the site. I was wondering if there were any others. I'm not active duty any more, been out for almost 9 years now. But it's good to know that I wasn't the only one crazy guy in all of the military. :lol:

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back