Question about the 3 holes in the belly plate

SPY007

Active Hunter
Does anyone know what is most accurate for making the 3 holes in the belly armor plate? Were the holes drilled out and a piece of plastic glued to the back of the belly plate to make shallow holes? Were they vac formed into the belly armor? Thanks.

Does anyone know what is most accurate for making the 3 holes in the belly armor plate? Were the holes drilled out and a piece of plastic glued to the back of the belly plate to make shallow holes? Were they vac formed into the belly armor? Thanks.

My thought on this is that the holes were drilled out, but it is possible that these were first partially vacuum formed into the abdominal plate and then drilled out. It is also possible that the purpose of the 3 holes was to enhance the sound made by the speaker hidden under the abdominal plate. The only image that shows partially the inside of the abdominal plate is this:

Abdominal Speaker.jpg

fett speaker.jpgI think they were added after the fact, and that what u see behind the 3 holes is the housing part of the speaker,

Last edited by a moderator:
They are shown clearly in the later concept artwork in the Gallery section ... but in those images another symmetrical arrangement/set of holes is on the opposite side .... it seems they either filled in one set or preferred the 'asymmetric' effect of having only one set ... nothing to do with speakers i suspect.

They are shown clearly in the later concept artwork in the Gallery section ... but in those images another symmetrical arrangement/set of holes is on the opposite side .... it seems they either filled in one set or preferred the 'asymmetric' effect of having only one set ... nothing to do with speakers i suspect.

At least one complete suit was built and assembled (late May, early June 1978) which served as a presentation prototype for approval:

Boba-Fett-Costume-Test-Fitting-01.jpg

The concept art you are talking about was drawn after or in time of the Supertrooper footage (28th June, 1978) when the Supertrooper idea was already dropped and replaced with the single bounty hunter, Boba Fett:

Boba-Fett-Joe-Johnston-Concept-Art-0299a.png

This drawing was more a generic concept and didn't reflected the real suit. Just to name some of the differences:

1. Switched L/R gauntlets.
2. Upside down knees with dart blocks on each sides.
3. Ammo pouches with different sizes and forms.
4. Symmetrical cheek (small holes between the upper and lower cheeks) and abdominal plate (the 3 holes) details.
5. Differently shaped armor plates.

There was another detail that appeared in the concept drawings, but changed its position during the prototype build:

Concept & ST Shoulder Arrows.jpg

This feature was not used in the pre-production, promo or hero suits.

So, what you see on those concept drawings is not a proof that it was used or intended to use on the real suit(s). But you might be also right regarding the 3 holes being present on both sides and later the right side filled in to achieve a non-symmetrical look.

Rafa, dude you are a PLETHORA of information bro...you never cease to amaze me. Thanks for all the great pics (which incidentally I've never seen before) and keep up the good work!

Rafa, dude you are a PLETHORA of information bro...you never cease to amaze me. Thanks for all the great pics (which incidentally I've never seen before) and keep up the good work!

Ill second that. Raf did you ever work for George making the fett suit? Ha!

Thanks a lot! I use the same images and info found here and/or on the Internet.

Ill second that. Raf did you ever work for George making the fett suit? Ha!

I wish I was working for him...

Will lemme introduce you to the GALLERY Gallery - The Dented Helmet Gallery Theres all these pics of all the armor in there....

I know you get where Im going with this ;)

This is exactly what I say every time! The TDH Gallery is full of goodies but it seems that few of us use it. I have most of the images saved and categorized on my PC (more than 12GB of data), so for me is easy to search for the desired images or documents.

according to Debroah Fine in her wonderful book, Star Wars Chronicles, no other star wars characters development was ever documented to such a high degree.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back