Are there any alternative to fiberglass on a cardboard helmet?

Jgbeerman

New Hunter
Evening Yall-

I am looking to strengthen up my cardboard helmet, but I do not want to fiberglass. I live in an apartment and the bondo smelled for a long time and the wife would not be happy if I stunk the apartment up after the fiberglass.

I used modge podge on the ears before using primer and that seemed to work pretty well, but since the helmet will be handled much more I was looking for a material to provide some strength to the cardboard. Looking for a material I could paint or spray on.

Has anyone used spray on truck liner?

Well I guess that is all for now!

Thanks in advance.

If there are no holes in the helmet, you could use something like Smooth On 65D. The trial size should work. Just do small layers.

Good call Asok. That's a urethane resin, as opposed to the polyester stuff used for fiberglassing. It's much less toxic and has a significantly less potent odor. The 65D would be ideal for your purposes as you'd be slush casting it into your helmet and it will cure slower. Smooth-on has lots of tutorials for stuff like this, so if any of the above doesn't make sense, go ahead and look through some casting tutorials.

I watched a few videos that showed the slush casting and it seems like the way to go. Has anyone used the smooth-cast on the outside of the helmet? would you just paint it on?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back