I've come to a crossroad. Need advice

AdamFett

Jr Hunter
I've always wanted to start on making a Fett costume, but have always been side tracked by buying and collecting Boba Fett merchandise, figures, books, etc. I have a job now, so getting parts for a costume is now possible. I also would like to recuperate recent losses concerning my figure collecting. Which route should I take? I can only go one way.

I would go with the costume. While the figures are cool, you can't have as much fun looking at them as you could wearing the armor.

Agreed, costume. Though Boba Fett can be one of the most challenging!

My learned experience has been that the focus, size, expense, duration, or quality of a Star Wars merchandise-based collection can vary wildly, but I came to feel that in the end, it's just you and a bunch of stuff. Which you mostly don't even want other people to touch, haha.

People costume for different reasons, but much of those orbit around the core idea of interacting with other people. When you open yourself up to that, the world is waiting to be discovered and in a great way.

A Boba costume is great. Girls in slave Leia bikinis will pose with you for photos. Kids and drunk guys will know your character immediately and yell the name. You can watch the world from under your dark visor. Fellow Fetts and other costumers will share build experiences and tips with you. Go to conventions, see how many people want to take pics with you. If you choose, you could join the 501st or other groups and do public or charity events for fun.

Boba is popular enough that you'll find many options to use kits, completed/commissioned parts/paints, used parts, or your own scratch-builds however suits your time, interest, funds, and skills.

Over time, you will need, learn, and even pass along some skills in building your costume. You don't have to be perfect to start with, no one here was when they began. My first 'adult' Star Wars costume, years ago, was an x-Wing pilot, had a cardboard chestbox with taped on pieces of Sharpie-colored paper. Man it hurrrrts to finally share that in writing, haha, but I know others here have similar stories so it's ok.

Seriously, though, I believe you'll find costuming infinitely more rewarding in many ways for a long time, and I hope that happens for you. Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
why buy a toy when you can be the real thing? If it doesn't workout for ya you could always sell it then buy your collectibles. Then again on this forum I dont think your going to get a lot of people siding with collectibles over the full fett experience haha.

Girls in slave Leia bikinis will pose with you , watch from under your dark visor, love it Asrok, I must get my costume finished :lol:
as for the question (using jedi powers) " the costume is the path your looking for "

I may be reading this wrong, but to me it looks like you are asking if you should build a Boba costume or pull yourself out of debt from purchasing too many figures and toys...

I say this simply from the line "recuperate recent losses concerning my figure collecting," unless that means you've lost a few figures that you want to re-obtain.

So I have to go the opposite way from everyone else here and say build your bank account for a bit. (Maybe a very slow costume build on the side)

However, if I'm wrong and you are simply asking toys or costuming, then Be the Fett!

I think that the fetitis is an incurable affliction that can only be treated with a full suit. And a few figures, and statues, and vehicles, and oh my seems I'm having another episode.

After laying in bed pondering on this, I've decided to leave the collecting of figures, and toys to my son should he choose. I'm gonna start a Boba TESB build soon. Thanks everyone for the advice.

It's going to be hard holding my desires for figures at bay, but when the eventual day comes when I'm looking at myself through a T visor, I will no doubt have 0 regrets.

BTW, TESB Fett is king!!!! Lol

im not so sure , he can go back to collecting figures , left for a fett esb , forward for a fett rotj or right for the fett se

If he kept collecting figures he wouldn't be going back he would be going forward.

So forward: collecting figures
Left: ESB Fett
Right: SE/ROTJ Fett
Back: Stops collecting figures and starts selling what he has and doesn't start making a Fett

:p

You could build the Fett and put it on mannequin, then you have a full size action figure! I did that with my vader and stormie. It's the first thing everyone gravitates to.

It's a difficult decision, but what I would do is to put the figures on hold and finish Fett. After that point, you can pick back up with a vengeance and find the items you are looking for.

In my situation, I found myself in a similar pickle. I have a figure collection, and more on the way all the time. But to afford the Fett costume, I would have to put it on hiatus for a good half a year. So what I did was I sold a bunch of stuff (about a grand worth of merch), used that money to bankroll my armor, helmet, suit, girth belt, ammo belt, jetpack, and boots/spikes. This leaves me to fund the rifle, braids, cape, tools, vest, neckseal, and various bits and pieces. So I found a way to pay for the super expensive items now, saving me from having to drop a large amount on anything for the next half a year while I get this all put together. If I find myself in another bind, I will just sell some more stuff.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back