Blaster 3D ESB sidearm

i dont know if this will be much help but here it goes:
th_Technisubpulce40schem_zps44508004.jpg

Hey all.

Sorry for the delay (things got crazy at the end of the semester), but I'm all done with school so I was able to take a look at my file to correct some issues. Unfortunately, for 3D printing, 3DS Max has better STL file exports than Maya does. However, for whatever reason 3DS Max isn't starting for me so I am unable to export one myself... Here is the OBJ file however if someone else can do this until I can resolve my issues with 3DS Max.

http://rapidshare.com/files/669177517/05132013_ESB_SideArmHighPoly_Archaster777.obj

This is looking really good now, I can work with this new file just fine and have successfully converted it into a printable STL. However, I will slice it up further so it will print more efficently on a domestic 3D printer.

I usually upload the models I make to thingiverse to share as it renders everything nicely: About AprilStorm - Thingiverse

But seeing as this is your design Archaster, Could I ask you to upload the STLs I produce from your model under your name? It would mean setting up an account on thingiverse.

Hey all,

I finally have a Pepakura version of this piece done. I ended up having to re-draw the whole thing to try and reduce the poly count but I used the original as a template, so credit goes to Archaster777 for the design. I will issue a warning in advance to anyone who chooses this method... the build up of this piece WILL BE A NIGHTMARE! Mostly at the union point between the handle and the main barrel. That was the nightmarish portion to unfold too. Here is the download link for the pep file. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all,

I finally have a Pepakura version of this piece done. I ended up having to re-draw the whole thing to try and reduce the poly count but I used the original as a template, so credit goes to Archaster777 for the design. I will issue a warning in advance to anyone who chooses this method... the build up of this piece WILL BE A NIGHTMARE! Mostly at the union point between the handle and the main barrel. That was the nightmarish portion to unfold too. Here is the download link for the pep file. Enjoy!

This is great, but I can't download from that site without signing up, and I would like to avoid this. You could ZIP the PDO file and post it here as attachment. Thanks for the hard work you all did!

I thought I would post up some of the things I do to finish these 3D printed items. Namely gluing and Finishing.

Gluing multiple parts. If the item is printed in ABS, the best glue is an acetone / plastic welding cement: Most plastic cements work, eg the type for airfix kits. ABS glue and if you can find it in hardware stores, PVC plumbers glue, sometimes is a blue color. You can also try acetone (nail polish remover)

Finishing:
Once you glue the parts you may need to sand the visible lines where the parts have been glued. Use your judgement but I just use a power mouse sanded and then by hand.

Another trick is to liberally paint the blaster in acetone, this will soften the print lines.

And yet another is to use "hammered" finish metal spray paint as the undercoat. Its a really thick paint that tends to fill in the print lines, though it takes a day to dry. I usually use the silver, this way if the item gets scratched it looks like metal.

The blaster below was a "second" as it didnt print very well and hence It wasnt up to scratch to pass on to others paying for the printing service. I was able to more or less rescue it using the above techniques. You can see how the hammered metal spray seems to fill most of the print lines. another sand and its ready for proper painting.

P1220209.jpg

I picked up one of April's sidearms a month or two ago and finally got around to doing some work on it. I glued the pieces with araldite and have been using car filler mixed with acetone and painted on with a brush to smooth out the lines then sanded by hand.

Its a very nice prop and lightweight. Cheers April.

pulce2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
aprilstorm,
was wondering if you are making any of these soon? looking to complete my fett by end of september. please let me know,
thanks!

I have two printed right now, just PM me for details, as I dont want to hijack this thread. Arch put the files up on thingiverse for anyone to download and print them too. Im not really a prop maker but am willing to help people out by printing them

Just finished one of April's 3D printed sidearms. I love how light this thing is! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376547246.148686.jpg

And it fits in the holster! It's a tight squeeze but works out fine.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376547266.650421.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back