Helmet Prices

DarthBish wrote:

Have a look at this http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10218&forum=2 I am completely STUNNED that the painter of this helmet would be embarrassed. It's beautiful, and yet he apologies for it's shortcomings.
This is the mindset that worries me. "That something is not good enough because it hasn't been painted by a "professional"

It seems to be quite difficult for some of you out there to accept that a person can have this opinion and HEAVEN help him/her if they express it.

Before we get too far from Bish's point, I'd like to reflect back on the thread he posted as his example. If you look at the replies, the GROUP responded rather politely, giving the member a "pat on the back", and telling him he should be proud of his work. So, how is it that the group is giving newbies a "pay someone else for an accurate job" view of things?

I'm someone who doesn't think highly of my own work, I admit it. I've had people give me great reviews, yet I'm my own toughest critic. I've also known other people with the same feelings, and this particular post was apparently started by one such individual. However, this post was pointed-out to us to reflect how the board is giving a negative view to newbies. And from what I've read, the group is doing a great job at trying to do just the opposite. If someone (myself included) doesn't think highly of his/her own work, the group shouldn't be to blame.

ATM
ShackMan

DarthBish wrote:

Oh, and can anyone else see the irony in the fact that I'm hounded to give an estimate on what I'd charge to paint something, and why.

And yet when someone else is asked a similar question and gives "this" answer.

I don't do a break down of the fees for services rendard, 40+ jobs done I never have, never will

It's ok??.

Bish,
what he was saying in his post is that he is not going to give a breakdown of Supplies, Shipping, Labor Etc. He would put a general price for services rendered and call it that.
Now you on the other hand have repeatedly said that you think the prices being charged are outrageous.
All that has been asked of you is that if Price A is way too inflated, then what would you consider a reasonable price for the same services rendered?
I have personally steered Newbies in the direction of tutorial threads as well as given as much advice as I can on topics because I too am a do it yourselfer much like yourself.
I agree that there is no feeling like that of holding the final product in your hands to say Hey Man, I did this!
I can see that you are agitated and think many of the guys here aer attacking you but they are just trying to see where you are coming from man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but see even if I think my helmet is crappy, now that I've done it myself I know how hard it must be for those who make, what in my opinion, are better paint jobs and I in no way shape of from can critisize their asking price.

Why should I say a price??......I've already said that I beleive 250 is too much, and since then I've been berated for every other point I've tried to make, why the heck should I leave myself wiiiiiiiiide open for more abuse??

DarthBish wrote:

Why should I say a price??......I've already said that I beleive 250 is too much, and since then I've been berated for every other point I've tried to make, why the heck should I leave myself wiiiiiiiiide open for more abuse??

Ok, you have acused people in this thread of being Drama Queens and such so you haven't been completely cordial yourself in your viewpoint. I guess it boils down to the fact that you were making a bold statement with a lot of passion behind it but do not want to back that statement with anything to gauge it by.
I am not sure if you are talking in this Thread or about another but I haven't seen anyone berate you nor abuse you yet in this thread.
You jumped into this thread on the defensive from the get go.
I have been interested in your viewpoint as have several others.

I just have to put my few words in here, ignore them as you will.

I see both points to this argument. When it comes down to it, if you think the price is too high, you don't need to pay it. Shop around! Or paint it yourself!

It's your choice.

I've looked at prices for Buckets on e-bay. And they can be highly priced, though so can Stormie Helms (and they have less of a paint job!) Personally I'm going to paint my '95. But my first upgrade will be a bigger bucket, which I'll get painted by someone else. The reason for this is that due to my location (New Zealand) I find it hard to get.. well mostly everything damn thing involved with Fett and I'll find it easier to just get the whole thing done in the states before sending it over. Those are my reasons for it, not everyone will agree with them.

In re-reading this particular forum I think everyone has argued their points, but this is nearly becoming a flame-fest.

Bish, you have got a point. But your reaction to Lynn's first statement was aggressive and got progressively worse.

And Lynn's reply was light-hearted but due to the joy of the written word, it can be read as sarcastic.

And it just got worse from there...

Now it seems that the arguments aren't expanding, they are just repeating.

Ah well... there's my contribution. Not sure what reaction to expect from this, but hey!

You make a good point, my reaction may have been aggressive but it was in response to what I believed was a degrogatory term.
If I took it the wrong way there's been plenty of opportunities for the way it was said to be clarified, and yet there's been no such clarification. Therefore I can only assume that it was meant the way that I took it.

Whew I was sent a link to this thread and it took me awhile to get to the bottom. It looks like everyone has good points to present I can see the view of both sides. I'm not going to try and sway anyone's opinion in anyway since I feel all points are valid and there is no sense is stirring the logs.

I would like to state first and foremost I personaly do not use this board as a billboard if you look through my posts I don't think I have ever made offers for my services except for one time and that was it. I have been approached to paint or build items by direct contact from interested parties. I and several other folks have made posts on how to assist painting and building your helmet there is no big secret past that except experience and knowledge and that is what I feel you pay for when you have a helmet built for you. Talent is a plus that you do not pay for, just part of the package.

I wouldn't get too intwined as to what cost what etc. the bottom line is is it worth it to you since you are the one who has to be pleased with the final product. I mean the exact same helmet may cost $150 on Ebay on one day and you might nab it for $100 on another has nothing to do with anything except what you as the consumer are willing to pay. The same goes for build ups and paint jobs. I have a studio scale model I paid $1800 for and I have to scratch build most of the metal cages and the spine which cost me another $200 and I had to teach myself soldering with a mini torch. Anyway I don't have half the time involved in this model as it takes to paint a Fett accurately and I have been told if I sell it that I should be asking around $6500 for the model completed. This is what the maker of the kits gets for these. Would I pay that much for this model? No, because I can do it myself for $1800 or so. There are not that many folks inclined to build it for their own or do not have facilities to set up a shop buy the needed tools and supplies or even have the PATIENCE to do a project. Now these folks are willing to pay what it is needed to get the desired product.

Actually if you ask my wife she is pretty pissed I didn't charge enough for these helmets and without build up it was on average around $350 a helmet. I painted 8 of these at the same time and I spent months of research talking to folks that worked on the original helmets and suit I amassed a huge phone bill talking to these folks and 8 months of my time in research before I threw the first color. I'm not defending my prices in any way as a matter of fact one individual on this board sold a helmet I painted for $1250 on auction and even after my charges he profited well over $500 on this helmet, do I feel bad? NO absolutely not because I charged what I felt the work was worth if he made more on it that is fine but this brings to question what is to stop anyone else from doing the same? It's a dual edged sword if you ask me and we're not all bad guys for offering our serivces.
Also another issue I have not seen brought up is customer service. When you take on product and perform a service you now have a customer and you are responsible for their satisfaction on product delivery. At this point this customer may email you every day asking questions or you may never hear from them at all. This may be questions on changing something or adding something and believe it or not this is work too. You also have to provide feedback on your progress with me it's not everyday but if I have made progress you will know about it and that is why I post it on the board it's not to parade my wares if you get my meaning.

I do not slap paint on and ship it out the door what you get from me is a helemt that has all of the beat up and used properties of a movie prop helmet that is the basis of my work. These(the real helmets) get tossed around and scratched up like crazy it gives it character this I feel is what my customer pays for.

I hope this doesn't sound like a big advertisement since a lot of you know I am not taking on additional work right now to work on some of my Models that I have been wanting to finish and some personal Fett stuff too. But this is an disagreement that could go on and on and we should all come to a agreement to disagree and press on. If you need help all you need to do in PM anyone on this board and they will help you or point you to who will. I can see the frustrations but there is no need for it just ask and we'll help.

Take care and drop me or anyone here a PM if you need help.

"I would be doing myself and the band a disservice if I didn't play the hell out of this thing!"

Darthbish... If I offended you in any way, then I'm sorry and I apologize, none of my comments were ment that way.

My first comment "Boy, have you got a lot to learn." was not meant to offend you, but I still stand by it.

As stated by Rouges Studios, it takes more then just a little coat of paint to get the job done, and that takes time which equals $$$.

Group hug every one.

Lynn

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back