Newbish Questions Regarding Dullcote

Cyris

Active Hunter
These questions may have been anwered in previous threads, but as I haven't been able to find any direct answers while researching the forum, I'd like to check with some of you painters for your thoughts. I am looking to use Testor's Dullcote Lacquer.

1. I'm under the impression that you can paint over a layer of clear coat and mask over it without any problems, correct? I believe I've read other users doing this when layering over a silver base coat.

2. If Question 1 holds true and regarding the use of both enamels and acrylics, would it be best to spray a thin layer of clear coat before applying any acrylic paints over an enamel color? I plan on going with Rogue Studio's thread as far as the colors are concerned, but I'm under the impression that applying some of the acrylic weathering topically over enamel could be hit or miss.

Thanks, guys!

Hi Cyris,
Testors dull coat will give a great, durable dead flat finish to your work piece. So if you want
any kind of sheen at all, it may be better to use another clear coat.

You can certainly paint over the dull coat, mask, airbrush, apply pastels or washes, whatever you like.
Just be sure to follow the directions to make sure it's totally dry before doing so.

You don't necessarily have to clear coat between enamel layers and acrylic layers. Some people
do, but I've painted many helmets and sets of armor using both types of paints without any
clear coat in between.

Since the Testors dull coat is a lacquer, be sure to use a couple of lighter coats instead of
trying to get heavy coverage in one thick coat. The lacquer can actually melt enamels if it
goes on too thick. (Don't ask me how I know. . .:))

Thanks for the input, Superjedi!

I've read some of your previous posts on the matter, and you pretty much confirmed everything I was suspecting, so it's good to see that I'm on the right track. I may still use a little Dullcote in between the enamels and acrylics like PRR Maroon just to be safe. I think I'll be okay with the flat look, though since my current helmet is more like a prototype, it won't be a big loss to me if I suddenly desire some sheen. :p

Thanks again!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back