How to paint ESB Armor

Hi I have just finished making my ESB armor (used sintra) and am ready to the next step painting. Can anyone please provide some tips with how to paint the armor. Does using spray paint or air brush provide a better result in the end.

Also how do I get the effect of the yellow around the exposed metallic places over the armor?

Lastly, what official colors should be used? Hunter green, yellow and metallic paint? Thanks for reading.

Hunter green is ROTJ, so dont use that!

For spray paints,
Rustoleum satin Spruce green is what you want for ESB.
for the under yellow i used krylon equiptment yellow misted over with krylon signal yellow.

You paint the whole armor piece silver, (any metallic looking silver should do) let it dry fully (12hrs at least) then use liquid mask to mask where you want the silver
then spray with the equiptment yellow, then lightly spray from a distance the signal yellow till your happy with the color. you can go back and fourth between the 2 till your happy.
let that dry completely..at least 24hrs
remove the liquid mask
remask over the silver and a little of the edges of the yellow that you want to show.
then do the spruce green

Lightly misting from a distance with krylon black primer also helps give it a worn dirty soot-like look. it dries very fast especially when just misting. you can give it a light swipe in random areas or on full armor pieces with 0000 steel wool to lighten the "soot" then maybe repeat to your taste

thats how i did mine :)

Not sure on the color for airbrush, since i havent had to redo my armor of had a commission for ESB armor at this point. I know humbrol 78 is used on the dome and cheeks of the helmet and i also do the gauntlets with that. pretty sure the armor is slightly differnt than that. Id wait for a more experienced airbrusher to comment :)

Hope that helped!

Lou, are you taking commissions? If so send me a PM, I may need some work done.

DVH, I used just spruce green for my jetpack and gaunts but in my opinion the armor plates are a bit darker than the gaunts/pack/cheeks/dome. I use a base a spruce green misted with hunter green, italian olive, flat black, and a bit of navy blue just on the top left chest plate (the one with the wheat emblem)

This thread may also help. It covers the painting of the FettPride armor that was made to be presented as a gift to Jeremy Bullock. The paint order used is just one way to do it. DVH recommended doing silver, yellow, then green. I think this works best as well but there's nothing wrong with doing silver, green, and then yellow.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f25/jb-project-fp-v3-armor-23569/

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO for spraypaint...the guants and the dome cheeks are lighter the spruce...the armor is close to spruce maybe even hunt club green...the jetpack is close to spruce...which would make the armor a darker huntclub green color...but the dome and cheeks are a moss green misted with spruce and dark grey IMHO.

Thats just my thought....I think people make the helmet to dark a green in most cases. All the greens I listed are rusto...the hunter green is ONLY used on the back panel of the ROTJ...its a very green color. not so much a dark green really bright almost normal green if you look at it next to hunt club.

Thanks for the follow-up!

- - - Updated - - -

Can I use the same yellows you reference for the chest armor on the knee and shoulder armor as well?

Yes, but keep in mind the ESB shoulders are not both the same yellow. One is yellow and the other has many orange/ sienna tints.

yea the spruce is what i used for the armor and the jetpack. I used the humbrol airbrush paint for the gauntlets. I didnt paint the helmet, but i want to use the humbrol for that as well as per Terminal fettlers paint jobs as i like that look alot

the misting of the black primer darkens it up a bit.

Here are my armor pics painted like i mentioned above...
Center diamond is hunt club green
100_4376_zps4a096b2f.jpg

Shoulders:
Signal yellow base misted with testors go mango ornage and some Krylon black primer
100_4378_zps94706a79.jpg

Signal yello misted with Krylonblack primer
100_4377_zpsc163ffaa.jpg

Knees:
Same technique as the shoulders. Ignore the "drip" that was from my dumb self using citrasol to remove the glued on sanp behind the knee DOH!
100_4372_zpse77e2b85.jpg

Gauntlets in Humbrol 78:
100_4084.jpg

100_4088.jpg

100_4090.jpg

Herer is a pic in overcast outdoor light. I dont think i had done the gauntlets with the humbrol yet here, but you get the idea.
IMG_3131.jpg

Same event...indoor light.
IMG_3109.jpg

Please excuse the missing blasters. This event was at a college with a no blaster rule.

Those are some nice looking guants Lou, those your old ones?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back