ESB Cape Template and Measurements

RafalFett

Well-Known Hunter
I thought to do a separate thread from the one with the discussion about the cape having seams or not (read more here ==> ESB Cape Appears to Have Seams) and to post here my interpretation of the ESB cape and its measurements.

ESB Cape Template.jpg ESB Cape Weathered.png ESB Cape Reference.jpg

The PNG image is a hi-res image of the cape template and gives an excellent overall view, while the third image is a compilation of ESB stills that were used to achieve the cape's color.

I did the templates using my measuring method to achieve some close values regarding the main parts of the cape, which are the width, the height, the stripe's width and the stripe's distance from the cape's margins, and also the approximated point where the cape is attached to the left outer shoulder stud. This measuring method consist in using an image with a ruler and compare some of the key parts of the suit to re-size the image to match the needed value with the ruler's value; example: if I want an 1:1 image with the left chest plate, I re-size the image until the chest display's width is at 48mm.

The colors are as close as possible to the colors of the ESB stills and screen caps from the TDH Gallery. Other colors that are pretty close are:

Stripe Color-----------Main Color
==========================
Walnut Brown---------Sepia Brown
Medium Brown--------Taupe

Here is a comparison image of the cape template with a front and a back image of the ESB Hero suit. The template was rotated to a certain degree to match with the cape's side or the stripe's line. This degree difference between the front and the back view is because in the front view the cape is fold partially behind the shoulder bell, while in the back view the cape is covering the whole shoulder bell.

ESB Cape Comparison.jpg

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
/Salute from me too Rafa, thanks mate.
I'll be using this for my Jodo cape dimensions.

So it's near enough a square?

/Salute from me too Rafa, thanks mate.
I'll be using this for my Jodo cape dimensions.

So it's near enough a square?

Thanks! From my measurements is a perfect square of 780 mm X 780 mm (30.71 inch X 30.71 inch). Can't wait to see it on your awesome suit.

Rafal Fett:

Used your template on this. This is tan suiters wool that I dyed darker with RIT tan dye. I masked off the stripe and misted on layers of orange spray paint (both sides). This type of wool does not fray like cotton. The damage was done with a hammer, banging the fabric on cement. I misted it with black spray paint. Total cost a little over $20. The fabric was marked down from $30 a yard. I suspect the real cape was cotton, but I like the look of this.

Suiterswoolcape.jpg

CapeDamage.jpg

Cape3.jpg

Wow! Now that is one impressive cape! It looks great, but I can't wait to see the cape hanging in a realistic manner from a mannequin's or your shoulder to see how the material folds.
You really did an amazing job! I love it!

Thank you sir. I built a helmet using the WOF plans. I got ready to paint it and felt something was wrong I started digging and found your templates. I did several modifications and, although it's not done, it looks much better. Thanks for sharing your work. I will try to get a shot of the cape on a person.

Thank you sir. I built a helmet using the WOF plans. I got ready to paint it and felt something was wrong I started digging and found your templates. I did several modifications and, although it's not done, it looks much better. Thanks for sharing your work. I will try to get a shot of the cape on a person.

Thanks!
Although my RWH v.1 helmet templates are a great start, it is far from being perfect, mostly because the back area is shorter and the whole helmet is too symmetric. My RWH v.2 helmet templates (95% is done) will correct these areas, but for some unknown reasons, I never felt the urge to start the actual build. But this year looks great for a new helmet build.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back