Debut ESB EE3 scratch build

ikinaceous

Active Hunter
G'day and Greetings from down under guys. Ive long been perusing the kits and posts and paint jobs and amazing work I see here, and always left feeling a little depressed by the cost involved in this addictive hobby. During this Australian summer I turned my hand to scratchbuilding the ESB EE3 based on a bunch of awesome references from here, and a low budget.

Anyway here's the result for about $50 in total, the scope was $8 off ebay, the greebs are cast in fibreglass resin in playdough moulds (dont tell the kids), the wannabe tyco/molex connectors are modded ones which were probably the most expensive purchase at $4 a piece. The rest is pvc, stainless steel pipe, Bondo (turbo builders bog for the aussies), cheapo rattle can spray paint and watercolours for topical weather detail, rust and matte effects.

Happy new year and happy Australia day to all the Aussie Fett lovers out there.
Cheers.

photo(13).JPGphoto(12).JPGphoto(11).JPGphoto(10).JPGphoto(9).JPGphoto(8).JPGphoto(6).JPGphoto(5).JPGphoto(4).JPG

Nice work. If you can do this that well, you shouldn't have any trouble with the other parts. You should look fr the WOF templates, they should have the info you need.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Yeah, Im constantly racking my brain to make parts as accurate as i can without blowing the budget. Thinking in the spirit of how the original props were made from scavenging and improvising from existing materials. I mean I have total respect for the guys dropping several k on a specd out replica. If you've got the cash for it thats great.
That being said there is plenty of stuff with this build which is not accurate. The idea of sewing soft parts also terrifies me. I guess its all about the journey.

Man, this is extremely impressive and highly inspiring. As a fellow aussie I salute you... as I attempt my first ESB EE-3 tomorrow. Going to a Melbourne gun shop to see if I can pick up a cheap scope, as well as Bunnings to pick up some builders bog, wood, pvc and metal. Can I just ask in this thread seeing as I can't find it anywhere after looking for a bit, is it easy to prepare fibreglass? cause Ill do it, if it saves me from having to buy the greebies somewhere else.

Again, amazing scratch build!

Very nice for a scratch build thanks for not using hasbro! Greebs cost about $10 your probably going to pay more for resin then $10...just saying

Man, this is extremely impressive and highly inspiring. As a fellow aussie I salute you... as I attempt my first ESB EE-3 tomorrow. Going to a Melbourne gun shop to see if I can pick up a cheap scope, as well as Bunnings to pick up some builders bog, wood, pvc and metal. Can I just ask in this thread seeing as I can't find it anywhere after looking for a bit, is it easy to prepare fibreglass? cause Ill do it, if it saves me from having to buy the greebies somewhere else.

Again, amazing scratch build!

Bro,
You can pick up a half litre of fibreglass resin and catalyst for about $20 AUD at bunnings or wherever (marine shops are cheap too). I sculpted little bucks out of scraps of plastic, balsa, pvc etc, superglued them together and made the little playdough molds that way. Just mix the resin and pour. It stinks (as in fumes), but its a very simple process. You can even tint the resin with a bit of spray paint.

If youre slightly more patient than me... which is likely.. you could go the way Fett4real was suggesting and PM the guys here. With postage etc. you could probably scrounge all your greebs for about $50. You don't have to think about accuracy then either. Since I posted those pics Ive already redone the stock... I'll probably fix the scope mounts too at some stage... its like a disease..... OCD.....

Thanks for the kudos fellow ozzie fett lover.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back