Jet Pack Broken jet pack?!?

Nate

Jr Hunter
I was looking around in the gallery, and noticed this. His jet pack's got a huge chunk missing out of it!

image.jpg

It has always amazed me that they didn't have any other jet pack around to shoot that scene.

According to Don Bies, the whole scene (for the ROTJ SE) was a quick idea of George Lucas and Rick McCallum called him (Don was responsible for the LFL Archives) to bring one of the suits that wasn't on tour, and because the ROTJ suit was in Japan(?), he brought the ESB helmet, another ROTJ suit and one of the damaged jetpacks (you read it well: there were at least 2 damaged jetpacks) and he played Boba Fett for the ROTJ SE additional scenes:

You had some parts in the Star Wars movies: Boba Fett and Barquin D’an in the Return of the Jedi Special Edition, some aliens, a Stormtrooper, an Imperial Officer….how did you get to play all these parts (especially Boba Fett and Barquin), and which aliens did you play?

I was the right size...when they were creating the Special Editions, I was still at the archives and was coordinating the costume loans for the shoots. I told the ILM producer I knew where to get an original Bith mask, but jokingly said he have to let me wear it or I wouldn't tell him...he took me up on my offer. While we were shooting the musical scene at Jabba's Palace (shot at ILM, which we referred to as "Jedi Rocks"), George Lucas had the idea to insert Boba into the scene chatting up the dancers. During a break in the filming, Rick McCallum called me over to ask if there were any Boba costumes in the archives for us to use. I said there were, so he told me to go up at lunch and get one, bring it back and wear it for the scene...so I did.
Source: Star Wars Interviews

I find that to be hilarious. Ever since I became aware of the differences in the various Fetts I have been amazed by how frequently the Special Edition Fett is used in pictures and other such things.

Here are the 2 ROTJ jetpacks with the big gash:

ROTJ Stunt JP 01.jpg ROTJ Stunt JP 02.jpg

And the stunt jetpack:

ROTJ Stunt JP 03.jpg

Edit
------------
Corrected the stunt jetpack image attachment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting to note the collar is not attached to hte back plate ... in fact the back plate has no holes drilled to accept the collar ... i guess this is so diving on the deck didn't wreck the thinner collar armour?

Although F4R misspelled in a hurry the word collar (=color), he wanted to say that originally the collar and the back plates overlap at the ends (more exactly the collar plate's back end goes on top of the back plate's front end) and are hold together by 4 screws and 4 collar studs as nuts:
Collar And Back Plate Attachment.jpg

But in the case of the stunt armor, they did a fast release system with hooks and this is why you see the collar left end free:
ROTJ Stunt Collar Attachment.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back