bondo it filler question

LiquiTed

Active Hunter
I have two helmets I plan to start prepping for paint and a rubber blaster that all need some filling and sanding with bondo or some other filler. What brand or type do you use and where is the best place to acquire it?

Same here. You can thin it down with acetone/nail polish remover too. If you thin it down enough, it becomes almost paintable with a brush. Perfect for small fill jobs! Use an acetone-soaked rag or q-tip to clean up and wipe away excess filler on your part that needs filling before it dries, to cut down on the amount of sanding you'd normally need to do.
You can find it in the auto parts section of hardware stores, or any DIY auto parts retailer.

I agree with the above posts for the small stuff. But for larger items, I loathe bondo. I found Evercoat Metal Glaze. It's similar to Bondo but much smoother and easier to sand. I find the work time a bit better. And I never get the 'cottage cheese' effect with the Evercoat. It costs more but for me there is no going back.

I have to go to automotive paint shops to find it. Rather than the familiar pink it's a light blue. They have a web site too. Evercoat. Videos on youtube as well. Or check your phone book for a local shop near you. And good luck.

Ted.
Prefect42.

For the sandpaper question, I personally like to have the following on hand. Which one I use depends on how much filler I've used. Lots of filler, I start with a heavier grade paper. If I just used a small, thin bit of filler, I start with a lighter grade.

I will use the Evercoat to fill the big stuff. Then sand it down with 80 grit through maybe 220. Quick coat of primer to see how the repair looks. At this stage, I switch to the glazing putty. Sand with 180 or 220 and then primer again. If it looks good, I do a wet sand before final paint. This is a general guide.

In the shop I like to have on hand the following grades:

60 grit - very course to take down 'way too much' filler
80 grit - course but not quite a chisel effect
120 grit - Not quite feathering stage but levels the filler out
180 grit - Blending the filler to the original surface
220 grit - Getting it almost ready for primer
280 grit - final feathering before wet sanding
300 and lighter grit for wet sanding before final paint job.

Ted.

I built a little box with a series of shelves to help keep the papers organized. But it occurred to me that a trip to STAPLES to buy a wire organizer for manila folders might keep your sandpaper stock organized. Just a thought.

Happy Modelling.

Ted.

i always go to an autozone or similar place for my bondo, as ive never seen it anywhere else. as for the ranges of sandpaper you can pretty much find it at any home improvement/ hardware store. if youre looking to do details and fine edges in the bondo though id definitely invest in a dremel tool, i got a corded one a few years ago lowes for right around 40 dollars.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back