ESB GMH paint up by Thirdethree

Hello Fett Fans!
Its time again to start a work in progress thread based on my latest paint up...
An ESB resin GMH.

Although painting a GMH in an ESB paint scheme can be often debated, it seems that any paint scheme version on a GMH is as close as we can get to having a helmet with real historical lineage. Size and shape are the closest we as consumers can get to a screen used helmet.
I began the process by cutting the neck ring, visor, and key slots. Visor was mounted as well.
get-attachment-49aspx.jpg

In order to get this lid to truly look like an ESB, the pre existing physical damage of the Pre Pro 2 had to be filled in with body filler. I left small areas of textural damage as you can see on the right upper cheek.(The correct ESB physical damage will be added later on in the thread.) I also chose to not alter the actual casting texture of the helmet. I really didn't want to change the small details that were created in the creation of the helmet like small scratches, ripples, waves, etc.
get-attachment-50aspx.jpg

After the body filler was sanded smooth, the entire helmet was sprayed with a layer of Floquil Primer, and then Floquil Bright Silver. In my opinion, the silver is almost too bright for an ESB so i used some 0000 steel wool to dull it down slightly.
get-attachment-51aspx.jpg

Back Panels:
I like to start with the back panels. Being a fairly simple rectangular shape they seem like a good area to jump into the layering process.
as always, Ill be using Rafalfett's stencils for all of the damage pattern placement. the following photos show each individual layer as well as the use of Windsor Newton masking fluid, tinted with some red food coloring in order to make it more visible. My color list is as follows:
Base metal- a custom mix of Floquil primer/Reefer gray/bright silver(2:1:1), Floquil SP Lark dark Gray, Floquil Concrete, and for the last layer, a another custom mix of Model Masters RLM 73/Floquil Reading Green/ Floquil ATSF Blue(4:1:1)
The final layer was lightly misted with Reefer gray.

get-attachment-52aspx.jpg

get-attachment-53aspx.jpg

get-attachment-54aspx.jpg

get-attachment-56aspx.jpg

Back Trim:
I was able to get the layering of the back trim done, as well as revealing the damage from the back panels. topical damage and scratches were added as well using my trusty 10/0 liner brush. Topical details still need to be added to the back trim.
Colors for back trim:
Custom Base Metal used on the back panels, SP Lark Dark Gray, Floquil Tuscan mixed with Floquil Engine Black(4:1) I used this custom mix instead of the widely recommended Polly Scale PRR Maroon. I dont like the idea of mixing types of paint. PRR Maroon is acrylic, which tends to have quite a different finish than most enamels. Due to the plasticizing of the acrylic it appears to give the paint a gloss sheen. Acrylic also seems to spray in heavier coats which can affect the removal of the masking fluid beneath it.
Final layer is Floquil Caboose.

get-attachment-45aspx.jpg

get-attachment-46aspx.jpg

get-attachment-47aspx.jpg

As with my other paint ups, I would love to hear any suggestions you guys may have. Ill be posting further progress soon!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be watching this with great interest! I'm new here but I've been looking over old threads and have been really impressed with your previous work!

Oh my... So what are you? Some kind of robot? A machine sent from the future? ...same things I was asked when I did the stencils.
I really love all of your paint jobs and I'm glad you have finally started a 'true' ESB paint scheme (hint - the Holiday Special colors mixed with the ESB scratch map ==> Holiday Special: Realistic Deluxe ESB) on a GMH. I like the colors you used, but there are some extra fine scratches that I didn't added to my stencils and are specific to the post-ESB era. As always, you did an excellent paint job, and these kind of SHOWOFF threads are your 'business cards' for those who will like to have you paint their helmets and I highly recommend thirdEthree for this. Can't wait to see this beautiful helmet finished in its full glory! Keep up with the great job!

Superb my good man once again! Ill say it again - you must have more time on your hands than me (tho the ROTJ wouldve been done had i not decided to wait on the metal ears..), unless you are some sort of cyborg ;) But fantastic work and attention to detail bud, cant wait to see the rest! :)

A GMH as ESB??? Blasphemy!!

:lol:

Actually, I'm going to be starting one of these for a client shortly.
Do you use Grumbacher masking fluid? That orange shade looks familiar.

Great start!

Thanks a million guys!! Unfortunately, no, I'm not a cyborg. I'm fortunate to have sort of a 'second shift' work schedule. 1pm-9pm. This allows me a few key hours to work in the morning, and evening as well.

Raf, Thank you kindly for the endorsement. I can only hope to maintain the great details you have provided with your stencils and photo reference. If you see anything along the way that needs to be added, don't hesitate!!

J, I must admit, your ESB is in the back of my head as im working. Ill be looking over your thread to make sure I dont miss anything. I too feel your pain on the ears, brother. Hopefully Gav can get those out soon.

SJ, I completely agree with the blasphemy!!! This lid was started as a commission for a fellow TDH member, but he has decided to wait for his fiberglass GMH that he had ordered from Chris. Hopefully I will still be given a chance to paint that as well.

Im working with Winsor & Newton 'Art Masking Fluid'. it's pricey($15 retail) but I love the quality and goes a long way. I add some liquid food coloring to it to change the color. I don't know if there is a difference but I use the kind that you can airbrush onto cakes.

Eric wow dude you are a machine man there is no doubt that this lid will be amazing just like the others. At this point everything looks spot on as always.

Raf, Thank you kindly for the endorsement. I can only hope to maintain the great details you have provided with your stencils and photo reference. If you see anything along the way that needs to be added, don't hesitate!!

Of course I will comment or drool! Drool for sure...

Rob, Thanks for your vote of confidence, I know you've done great job on more than one of these!!

Sleepalot, check out Deadland's Katzybugz thread!!! He beat everyone to the punch.

Thanks to you too, Brian!! You need to share that killer project you've been working on with the rest of the class, lol!

Update:
It was dreary winter day here in New England, so I was able to get some work done today.
I tackled both the lower and upper cheeks.
The lower cheeks were layered with SP Lark Dark Gray, Model Master Panzer Olivgrun '43, and then misted/weathered with Reefer Gray
The upper cheeks were a combination of layers of Base Metal, SP Lark Dark Gray, and a custom mix of Floquil Pullman Green and Engine Black(2:1)
Small scratches were applied topically using Bright Silver.
get-attachment-57aspx.jpg

get-attachment-58aspx.jpg

Hopefully I can keep the painting momentum and start working on the mandibles tomorrow!!

Hey Guys!!
Its been far too long since I've updated this thread, but Ive gotten quite a bit of work done since the last update. It seems like as I started to brag about having plenty of time, life got in the way of Fett... Holy cow, how did I allow that to happen?!?
Anyway, I took a small break from this helmet to paint another, in which ill be posting shortly.
Now back to the regularly scheduled program...
Other than a few key details( and ears, I think I'm nearing the finish line.
Thanks goes out to Superjedi for his current work, and giving me something to compare my own work to.
Respect goes to Rafalfett for his killer stencils.
This is how it presently stands. as usual, input is greatly appreciated.
get-attachment-70aspx_zpsf7214b17.jpg

get-attachment-71aspx_zps33f3d51a.jpg

get-attachment-66aspx_zpsdff9f862.jpg

get-attachment-67aspx_zps5f1f0c1f.jpg

get-attachment-65aspx_zpsb8a20fb3.jpg

get-attachment-64aspx_zpsf6b36199.jpg

Oh my...! It's almost perfect! And you have the best compliments from some of the great painters of TDH!

And thanks for the nice words regarding the stencils.

Jeez that's really gorgeous!! I'm loving reading these threads as it's inspiring for when I put my sweat into my1st fett bucket soon!! Makes me wish I had the collection budget to send it off and for once get to relax on a project for once as I just finished two SW projects that I started in 2011. Viewing thread on my day old samsung galaxy s3 and helmet looks amazing lol. Downloading each picture for reference.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back