Dyeing

Fetterling

Jr Hunter
I'm still new, but I'm learning. I dyed my honor sash and it came out good. I was too full of vim and vigor and just dyed my gloves thinking I know what I'm doing. Don't make my mistake. Know your material and the amount of water per dye packet/liquid you are using. I bought polyester parade gloves (6.50 at an army surpluss store) and dyed them with RIT pearl grey. They came out a lavender color. They are more blue than grey. If they don't dry grey, I may have to reajust the colour. A project worth doing, is worth doing right. I'm learning that now. No instant gratification if you are working on Boba. Heed my advice, don't hurry it. Easier to do it right the fist time than go back and fix your mistakes. May the bounty be with you.
Steevo, AKA Fetterling

You want 100% cotton to take dyes. Polyester or poly blends will give you trouble all the time. They're plastic, not natural fiber, and don't take to traditional dyes.

True that!, i dyed a pair of parade gloves a couple of weeks ago with dylon grey and they came out dark green:cry
so have to find a pair 100% cotton. but we're all learning all the time. Keep going!!!!

Start light and you can always add some color to it. I've ruined stuff lol. This is definitely a learning process brother.

Since we're on the subject of dyeing soft parts, how do the rest of you achieve the dirty look to the flightsuit using dye? I've got myself 4 packs of RIT dye (black, gray, brown, and tan). However, I'm hesitant to start, for fear of ruining a $200 flightsuit and the messiness/cleanup that seems to accompany dyeing cloth.
I think I have the basic idea down: soak the suit in salt water, hang it up, and use squirt bottles with the dye mixed in to mist the color onto the wet fabric. Allow to dry, check your progress, and re-apply dye as needed after re-soaking the suit in salt water. Use a variety of dirty-looking colors to achieve depth.

Is this safe to do in a bathtub in the bathroom? I have tile and grout lining the walls of my bathtub/shower. Will the fabric dye stain the tile, tub enamel, or the grout if any dye gets on it?

oooh, search function!! :D

Most fabrics will take dye. You just need to get the right dye for the fabric ie polyester for polyester.

Methods can make a difference too. When I was dying my maul robes I used a dye you throw in the washing machine. It came out light grey. I then tried again. Same dye but in a HUGE saucepan on the stove letting it simmer overnight. Came out black as black.

This might be off the wall, but my mom suggested a mixture of water and cigarette ashes and use your fingers to rub them into the fabric. It sounds good, but haven't tried it yet. Definitely gonna use scrap material first to see how it looks first.

Most fabrics will take dye. You just need to get the right dye for the fabric ie polyester for polyester.

Methods can make a difference too. When I was dying my maul robes I used a dye you throw in the washing machine. It came out light grey. I then tried again. Same dye but in a HUGE saucepan on the stove letting it simmer overnight. Came out black as black.

Using a pot works best for dying, used this method for my ESB flightsuit came out to blue but to blue is better then not blue enough i suppose...used some dye remover after that twice to lighten it up...

I think I need to clarify what sort of dyeing i'm talking about. My overall flightsuit color is okay, but I want to use dyes for weathering. Now, the cigarette ashes thing has crossed my mind, but I don't want to smell like an ashtray if I go trooping or to a Con. As well, I'm looking for a weathering treatment for soft parts that won't wash away either. I'd rather stay away from acrylic paint, for fear of the fabric stiffening up. Thanks to all who've chimed in, so far!

CuteLucca has an awesome thread on weathering. Sorry I don't know how to link to it on iPhone but its really in depth and covers lots of different techniques to different items(soft,hard etc) search for weathering tutorial

I think I need to clarify what sort of dyeing i'm talking about. My overall flightsuit color is okay, but I want to use dyes for weathering. Now, the cigarette ashes thing has crossed my mind, but I don't want to smell like an ashtray if I go trooping or to a Con. As well, I'm looking for a weathering treatment for soft parts that won't wash away either. I'd rather stay away from acrylic paint, for fear of the fabric stiffening up. Thanks to all who've chimed in, so far!
Yeah. Didn't quite number in the stink factor of using ashes. That would't be too appealing. I'm glad I read your post before trying it. Good looking out!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back