davidFett's '95 Don Post Redux

davidFett

Jr Hunter
Trying to meet my 5 post ''new member'' requirement, so I thought I'd post my first ESB Helmet build.

I'm a long time prop builder/collector, but this is my first attempt at the Boba Fett ESB Helmet.

Decided to start off with the ESB Hero Version... the paint job, to me, is a little more appealing. I plan on following up this build with both ROTJ and SE version Helmets.

Starting off with this '95 Don Post I found on eBay.

tdh_95_DP_eBay_02.JPG

I thought this one had a decent enough profile... not too badly ''flattened'', as the later Don Post helmets seem to be. A bit smaller than other versions (fettpride, bobamaker, etc.), but that was to be expected.

The seller claimed only minimal damage to the visor... Well, I need to remove and replace the visor anyway, so no problem. I took a chance and went ahead and bought it.

The Helmet arrived and appeared to be in good condition. I think I can work with this. :)

davidFett

Last edited by a moderator:
First I removed what was left of the plastic visor. Using my Dremel Tool with a cutting disc, I removed the t-shaped "visor" using care not to remove the red portion of the mask.
I trimmed the excess with an x-acto knife, a bastard file and 200 grit sandpaper until I had a nice clean edge.

tdh_t-visor_prep_03.JPG

A bit more cleanup and the helmet should be ready for a new t-visor.

I'm also noticing the bottom of the helmet is a bit crooked and should be flared out a bit more.

I think I can straighten it by using a metal crochet loop, cutting it in half and gluing it along the contour of the back of the mask. This should also help prevent warping in temperature changes and keep the visor in place.

davidFett

I purchased a "Standard" laser cut T-Visor here.

std.jpg

The "Standard" version fits both Don Post and Rubies Helmets as well as others.

Initially I had thought of using epoxy to attach the visor, but Spideyfett's method seems like the way to go.

davidFett

Next up I need to remove the key slots on the rear of the helmet then I'll knock down this paint job with some 200 grit sandpaper.

Once the prep work is done I plan to use Rich D's ESB stencils and templates for painting.

Stay tuned…

davidFett

Looks good! I added some fiberglass to the inside of mine after reshaping it, holds it's shape very nicely now. I highly recommend using Spideyfett's visor method, having a removable visor can be handy. I would have had some trouble if I had glued mine in.

I would highly reccomend Rafalfetts templates. For ESB, his templates are about as accurately perfect as you can get. We don't call him 'Captain Precision' for nothing! :) Good luck with the build my friend- that Don Post actually looks in pretty good shape :)

I would highly reccomend Rafalfetts templates. For ESB, his templates are about as accurately perfect as you can get. We don't call him 'Captain Precision' for nothing! :) Good luck with the build my friend- that Don Post actually looks in pretty good shape :)

Thanks for the support! But because davidFett wants to paint the ROTJ SE suit, the best option is to follow Rich D.'s stencils (because of the extra scratches) and use my stencils for the rest of the parts (the dome and the ears). But the decision belongs to him...

Hi,
I agree with Jayvee. RafalFett templates are the best ones IMHO.

Thanks for the kind words!

Thanks for the tips, everyone. :)

Decided to have a look at RafalFetts stencils, since those seem to be the templates of choice…

…and thanks for looking at my build!

davidFett

I'm starting to gather up all the bits and pieces I'll be needing…

I did manage to find the 3-hole Borden connector this morning... found one at a local dental supply store. :D

tdh_borden_3-hole_01.JPG

Also looking at bobamaker's Deluxe Hollow Rangefinder and RF stalk – these look to be of excellent quality, but are a couple of months out on backorder... and for the most part, seem to be cast in resin.

I'd prefer Aluminum rangefinders, but these seem to be of excellent quality.

More to come, time permitting... :)

davidFett

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back