Typical DIY paint time for a Boba fett helmet?

ajayofcanada

New Hunter
Hi all, I'm new here, just starting a Fett build, in fact it's my first build ever! And based on the level of detail involved in his gear, this may take a lot of time and patience, but I love a challenge.

As for my question, for a person who has a full time job,and works on this in their spare time/evenings/weekends/ etc.I've never done one before as I said earlier, but I'm guessing 6 - 8 months??

Another question for ya, out of all the costumes in the Star Wars universe, would Boba Fett be the most difficult? Not financially, but by the level of intricacy? Just all the weathering on this costume looks overwhelming.

Thanks,

AJAY

The actual time commitment of course depends on you and how dedicated you can be to it in your spare time. My attention sometimes wanders to other activities. The finances as well as how much you want to do yourself play a huge part in this too. Example: you can buy really nice stainless gauntlet darts, you can buy resin replicas and then paint them, or you can turn your own gauntlet darts on a lathe (I just did this so it is on my mind). Guess which one of these options takes the longest amount of your time and research and which one is the most expensive.

If you read through here enough you will also get a sense that for many items you will be at the mercy of the maker time-wise. Making and selling these items is often a side business at best, and most times more of a hobby. Real life bumps in the road can lead to long wait times. It isn't Boba-Mart :lol:

I feel you are correct in thinking that Boba is one of the toughest characters in many detail-oriented ways. He is also one of the most scrutinized. However, because of this level of interest and the wonderful community here you have access to some very nicely detailed and realistic costume pieces that a lot of other costumes simply do not have.

By the way, the weathering is the best part! :) Embrace it!

I just realized that you started out asking specifically about the bucket not the whole costume. My bad.

Paint times depend on the same things, but add in drying time for paints and factor in where you will paint. I use my garage, so I am on hold until the weather warms back up and I have to watch the humidity, too. If you have a nice warm ventilated painting facility time of year isn't a factor.

It took me about a month of spare-time work to get to the cheeks following Terminal Fettler's tutorial, which is where I am at now.

Thanks for the reply, it almost seems like this build is a little too much for a 1st timer just getting into costuming, regardless, I don't care if it takes me a year, it'll be just that more satisfying in the end.

I think the 6-8 month timeframe is about right for someone with your time commitments. Im much the same time wise bud, and it takes me around that timeframe. I have painted a few helmets though, so I do have equipment and tecnique down, but then i'm pretty pedantic, so the fine detail can take me a lot longer. It will ultimately depend on just how accurate a job you wish to do, and getting used to how everything works, from your equipment, to scaling and stencilling damage, to masking, paint type you wish to use etc. But the best advice I can give for when you want to start, is plan it all out by doing plenty of research here, and take your time. You may find little speed bumps along the way, but if you stick to a good foundation plan of attack, you should be looking good. Good luck my friend, any questions, feel free to ask! :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back